Concealed Carry Gun - 9mm or .40? (Fact Specific)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Gun - 9mm or .40? (Fact Specific) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a G23 but just traded a Kimber for a G19C and FNP-9 as I haven't ever had a 9mm before. After shooting ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Concealed Carry Gun - 9mm or .40? (Fact Specific)

I currently carry a G23 but just traded a Kimber for a G19C and FNP-9 as I haven't ever had a 9mm before. After shooting the G19C w/ the compensated barrel I found a kind person willing to give me a non-ported barrel and will re-evaluate after I get it but so far I must say I like the 9mm.

The sad part is I will have to get night sights and stock up on bullets and brass for it if I decide to carry it as well as SD ammo. With my G23 I got an aftermarket barrel as I didn't like the buldges left in the brass since I reload everything. I also have a G20 and a few thousand rounds for it that I can load up sometime. My only decision is whether to sell my 3K+ 10mm plated bullets and get 9mm bullets or keep them all and add 9mm bullets. If money wasn't a concern I know what I would do :)

In hind sight I wish I would have started out with the 9mm though and not bothered with the .40 S&W as it is all about shot placement anyway and I could shoot more if I shot 9mm instead.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SigSire View Post
    I currently own a Sig Sauer P229 Elite in 9mm for HD. I purchased it in 9mm specifically because my wife will be learning to shoot it for HD situations.

However, I'm looking for a CC gun and am leaning heavily toward the Sig P239, because of its size and the fact that I like Sigs. My real question, however, comes down to whether to get the P239 in 9mm or .40. Initially I thought I would get the .40 for a bit more punch, but I'm starting to lean toward a 9mm for the following reasons:

-- 9mm ammo (such as Gold Dot) is clearly sufficient for any real threat I might encounter; yep
    -- 9mm holds more rounds; yep and
    -- 9mm ammo is cheaper and I have a ton of it (would only have to stock 9mm range ammo and 9mm stopping ammo). yep

So, is there any compelling reason to go with the 40 instead of the 9mm? nope
    You have already answered your own questions...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Well, I ended up buying the 239 in a 9mm for all the reasons mentioned above.

I like the simplified set up of one ammo caliber, and the consistency of shooting multiple guns using the same caliber and same trigger system.

Thanks everyone!
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

I have 9mm's and .45's, but my EDC is definitely a .45.
    In your situation, I'd keep the new pistol in the 9mm range.
    You seem to like that caliber, so why not conserve on the ammo choices you have to stock up on?
    If you consider a change...jump up to .45 .

Stay armed...conserve on ammo choices...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I guess the cow's already left the barn, but...

I see the OP has already purchased his pistol, so this is a little late, but I'll post this for anyone else in the same boat.

I just finished reading David Kenik's Armed Response and in it he addresses this very question of caliber choice. He suggests using the "test of 5's" . What that is : From the holster, draw and fire five shots at five yards into a five inch target in five seconds. If you can do that with the .40 - great . If not, maybe the nine may be a better choice. This test seems to take into account most of the points brought up here - especially shot to shot recovery time and placing rounds accurately. Obviously, when looking to purchase a firearm this would involve going to a range where a weapon could be rented ( don't know how they'd feel about drawing from a holster).

On a personal note ... I've never been a huge fan of 9mm, but that's exactly what I'm carrying now. My reasoning had more to do with the gun platform ( H&K P7) than caliber. I found that my shot to shot time went WAY down with this particular gun and it so happened to be a 9mm. If it was offered in .40 ( well, it is/was, but not really the same gun) and I could shoot it as quickly/accurate as my P7 - then I'd be using that.

Theres nothing wrong with the 9mm. When I made my "pocket carry" choice my requirements were...

1...smallest firearm platform w/
    2...the largest round possible w/
    3...the absolute most reliability (must go bang every time)

After a long time of searching and deliberating I settled on the Glock 27 as it best met all three requirements. Having said that though, I also carry a 9mm Glock 19 on a regular basis when I don't need deep concealment.

The .40 vs. the 9mm is a continuing debate but the .40 IMO has a ever so slight edge over the 9mm in potential trauma inducing capability simply due to the larger frontal mass. I do feel it's minimal though. You can find premium rounds in either caliber that are equal in performance. I like Gold Dots and Federal Tactical HST in 124 grain weights for the 9mm. In .40 I currently carry the Federal 180 grain Hydra-shok.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SigSire View Post
    I currently own a Sig Sauer P229 Elite in 9mm for HD. I purchased it in 9mm specifically because my wife will be learning to shoot it for HD situations.

However, I'm looking for a CC gun and am leaning heavily toward the Sig P239, because of its size and the fact that I like Sigs. My real question, however, comes down to whether to get the P239 in 9mm or .40. Initially I thought I would get the .40 for a bit more punch, but I'm starting to lean toward a 9mm for the following reasons:

-- 9mm ammo (such as Gold Dot) is clearly sufficient for any real threat I might encounter;
    -- 9mm holds more rounds; and
    -- 9mm ammo is cheaper and I have a ton of it (would only have to stock 9mm range ammo and 9mm stopping ammo).

So, is there any compelling reason to go with the 40 instead of the 9mm?
    It looks like you posted all the good reasons to stay with the 9mm for yourself. I am not so sure the .40 has enough more "punch" than than the 9mm to really matter. When I retire from policin', I may well convert my SIG P229s to .357 SIG, which is in the same ballisitic ballpark as the best 9mm stuff. If you can pick your ammo, 9mm is fine. It is possible a politician may pick my ammo someday, and I prefer the .40 for that type of scenario.

You have to love the caliber threads. I shoot mostly .40 and .45 because I reload .40 and .45. I shoot my P226 .40 better than any other gun. I have 2 1911s (.45 and 9mm) which should shoot better but for me does not. The Sig Pro in 9mm also works great but I always go back to the P226 in .40!

A few comments:
    The P229 was designed as a .40 so that is probably the best platform for it.
    I have a sub compact H&K P2000sk and the staggered recoil spring makes it an easy shooter.
    A .22 will suffice if you can put every shot through an eye. If not the caliber and gun you shoot the most comfortablely and accurately is the one that is best for you.
    I have eliminated many of my revolvers because I can not shoot as accurately with them and I am trying to consolidate calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    The P229 was designed as a .40 so that is probably the best platform for it.
    Don't forget the H&K USP--it was also designed as a .40...and is also a very light recoiling .40; in my experience, lighter than a 229.

But I agree, a P229 is a good pistol.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I took the .40 route

I just ordered a Witness Compact .40 with main selling points being attractive price and that it can be "re-calibered" in a few minutes with factory conversion kits to 9mm, 10mm, .45 or even .22. First upgrade will be some wood grips just 'cause I like them.
    Attached Images

I carry the .40 (G27) because I just don't find the recoil to be an issue. It feels good to me and I can control it with no real effort more than I do a 9mm. Frankly a Light weight snub nosed 38 kicks way more than this. And partly I ended up with that as my primary because I went about finding one used and found many a good deal on the G27 and not the G26. This is partly because many LEO's used the G27 as both primary and backups and they come on the market used more often than a G26. But... I would carry either of them with confidence.

As the thread continues , I await the UPS man and my 9mm P239 (it made it to my signature even before it made it to my hands. I gets to put it there when I's pays my money. ).
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Everybody just loves a 9mm vs 40 vs 45 thread. Can't get enough of em!

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Everybody just loves a 9mm vs 40 vs 45 thread. Can't get enough of em!

We need to branch out, how about a .38Special vs .38Special +P vs .357Magnum. Or, .38Super vs. 357Sig vs 10mm. Lastly a 454Casull vs 460Magnum vs 500Magnum, do we want to include the .44Mag in this one???????

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links