1911 Magazine (Merged)

This is a discussion on 1911 Magazine (Merged) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this 1911 thing but have 95% decided to purchase a Kimber Pro. I know that I need a few extra mags. Do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Magazine (Merged)

1911 Magazine (Merged)

I'm new to this 1911 thing but have 95% decided to purchase a Kimber Pro. I know that I need a few extra mags. Do I need to stay with Kimber mags (at god knows what price) or a quality after market brand (suggestions please)?

The gun's new so I know that I'll need to run a bunch of ammo through it to get used to it, wear it in, and for kicks and giggles. Hopefully I won't experience feed problems like some others, and if I do- that Kimber will rectify the problem with some speed.

Thanks for the Info

Ash

2. Remove Ads

Magazine Maintenance

2nd Part of Magazine question:

What is proper maintenance for a magazine. How long can I leave it charged? How long should I rest the springs?

My thoughts, based on absolutly nothing, are to have an extra set of mags resting in the safe, and swap mags once a week to let the other set rest a week. What is the best recommendation. I recently got my CCL, so this has never been an issue before.

Thanks

ash

Get Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick both are quality products

My understanding is that a mag can be left loaded indefinitely. I would think repeated cycling (i.e. loading/unloading) of a spring would cause wear, not static tension (i.e. just keeping it loaded).

As far as other maintenence, I clean the outside of my mags after every use, inside (feeding lip, spring) after about 500 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Get Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick both are quality products
    +1, but more specific on the CMC, the Power Mags are Chips most popular/best performers. And the third choice (rounding out the top three IMHO) is the Tripp Research Cobra Mags.

I'm partial to the Wilson Combat 47D, but to each his own. The other two are the only others I'd consider (okay, Wilson Combat's new ETM also).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I keep plenty of magazines for each of my pistols. I have two fully loaded mags for each pistol at all times...the one in the pistol, and the spare. These stay fully loaded for a month or more before I decide it's time to shoot up the ammo, or just swap them out for fresh magazines and transfer all the ammo. I tend to swap out my single stack 8 round 45acp magazines more often for some reason, but doing this weekly is a bit too often in my opinion. Since it's pretty much been determined that working the mag springs takes more of a toll than simply compressing them over a period of time, you may want to do this less frequently than you are now. I used to disassemble my Glock mags after downloading them thinking the spring would 'rest' and rejuvenate itself. Silly me!

I carry a Glock, so I’m less concerned than some of you about cleanliness.

I do however, field break down the pistol after range time, and I also clean the outside of the magazine.

If the magazine looks really dirty, I’d break it down. However, I don’t recall ever doing it.

OH... and I leave mine loaded
    Last edited by tns0038; December 9th, 2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: OH

1911 Magazine Analysis

I'm going to ave to go against the grain and not recommend Wilson mags. I do strongly recommend Colt Hybrid lipped mags, or Checkmate Industries hybrid lipped mag option.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I have a ton of Metalform 7 rounders that I bought as part of a bulk buy (got them down to $8 a pop). They have been flawless performers, however I have seen some reviews of them lately that seems to imply that their QC may not be what it once was.

My mom runs Ed Browns in her Kobra Carry - both 8 and 7 rounders) and they work great.

Wilson, Tripp, and Chip McCormick are definitely the heavy hitters in 1911 mags and the examples of their work that I have seen and used were top notch.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

The Wilsons have not been serving some 1911s well. I believe the little tab gets bent and causes problems--BUT, specifically on SIG and S&W models this has been an issue. Kimbers are almost randomly picky about mags, it seems.

On my Colt and Springfield models, the McCormicks work well, as do Mec-Gar, which is something of an anomoly in itself I hear.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

#1 for Chip's Power Mags...I'm running 4 of them through my PT1911 with no probs. And I'll soon be trying them in a Kimber Eclipse II (early xmas present to myself).
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Can't go wrong with the Wilson's or the McCormick's. I have both.

Edit: I have a Kimber Grand Raptor II that I use these on.

As for the cheapo ones the Kimber came with. Throw them out, sell them on ebay, or use them only for the range.

Cheers
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it.

ash

Heres the mags I use. Once you use these, you will use nothing else.....

trippresearch.com Online Store 1911 Magazines
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I've been using Kim-Pro mags in my Eclipse and have had no trouble with them. I haven't seen anyone recommend them though. Are they not known to be great?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links