PPK/S First Range report

This is a discussion on PPK/S First Range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after reading all the good, bad, and ugly written about this gun, I still wanted it so I bought one last week. As I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPK/S First Range report

PPK/S First Range report

Well, after reading all the good, bad, and ugly written about this gun, I still wanted it so I bought one last week. As I read the instructions to take it apart and clean it, I was a bit nervous from having read about flying springs. It was fine, quite easy, and got it back together just fine too. All oiled up and ready to go. Bought a bunch of ammo (who knew .380 was more than .45 ACP? I am sure most of you did but I was surprised ) and off to the range today. Honestly, I was pretty apprehensive, after reading all kinds of FTF and FTE, and jamming stories. So I shot my Glock for a bit first. Anyways, I LOVE this gun. Once I got the hang of a good technique for racking a round it went very well. Shoots wonderfully. The first DA is different, but once I was used to it after the first couple no problem. Not one FTF or FTE or jam. It is tight, and racking was hard, but not terribly so and was better by the time I was done. I shot until my fingers couldn't load anymore. Then I shot 2 more mags from the Glock and was on my way.

Overall, the PPK/S was very accurate, and I am really glad I got it. I still plan to carry the G19 primarily, but for an smaller option when clothing won't work with the Glock this will be good. And it is fun. Can't wait for next week. (Ladies day at the range is Tuesdays 1/2 price )
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Ads

I've owned a PPK/S before I got my CCL and
    I liked it too but had to trade it to fund another
    gun.
    Now years later I replaced it with a Bersa 380CC,
    it too is a good gun .
    I think you will like your new James Bond gun
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

My wife and daughter both have the PPK/S. I just ordered lighter recoil springs and hammer springs to help them run their guns more effectively. As long as it doesn't affect the reliability, racking and that DA first shot should be better.

Administrator
    Most PPK/S are usually very magazine sensitive and most do not like cheaper aftermarket magazines.

You are best off only buying Walther factory mags. Just FYI.

Also be careful because there are Chinese made counterfeit "Walther" stamped mags floating around.

VIP Member
    I have one too. I agree with your OP.......... it is accurate, thin, it appears stoutly built (heavy). I like mine but I don't carry it much anymore, there are so many good CCW out there I have "trouble" deciding which to carry sometimes.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Back in the mid 80ís I replaced an S&W 38 special with a Walther PPKs 380. Itís thinner, and easier to conceal.

Carried that little gun so much I wore the bluing off of it. So in the mid 90ís, I traded it in on a Stainless PPKs. While it may have been against policy, to carry anything smaller than a 9mm I use to carry the little gun allot while working undercover for the Feds.

While I donít carry it much today, I do keep it in the kitchen as my door answering gun.

Why you might ask.

Well, itís very very accurate, and it fits in my shorts pocket. And with a strong DA pull I donít have to worry about putting it in my pocket with the safety off.

Right now there is a $50 rebate or 2 magazines ($35 each value) so I of course sent for the 2 magazines. I just need to order a good holster or 2 now. I am still waiting for my permit, and since it's not 890 bizillion degrees right now I should be ok with the Glock for a while, but by Spring I'll need something for the PPK/S. :)
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Question... does the PPK/S allow for cocked and locked carry with the safety? Or is it a decocker only?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Question... does the PPK/S allow for cocked and locked carry with the safety? Or is it a decocker only?
    Mine is decocker only. I can't seem to keep the rear sight tightened down though. After every hundred rounds or so, I find it loose again. It's not that big a deal I guess since I tend to point shoot with it anyway.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I had a ruger P94 that had the same problem with the rear sight... Locktite solved the problem... but I never can remember which one is which - so make sure you buy the one that sticks the way you want (forever, heat will loosen, or torquing will loosen...)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I'll try the red since I already have some, I think. It's just one of those little things that bugs me. Thanx.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Although the PPK is a handgun classic, I still think it's way too heavy a gun for it's 380 caliber. I guess today's newer models offer more bang per ounce in smaller pocket guns. For less weight than a PPK, you can carry a Glock G26 or a Kahr PM9 with way more firepower.
    Just my two cents.....

The PPK/S guns seem to be a hit or miss (no pun intended) proposition. I owned one for 2 years. I could not get that thing to shoot reliably not matter what ammo and magazines I tried. Finally gave up and sold it.

Congratulations on getting a good one.

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Yes, a G26 weighs less, but it's HUGE compared to a Walther, and as a woman who lives in the south the slim frame was what I was looking for, for the times when clothing isn't going to hide a Glock. I rented a G26 but bought a 19, didn't like the 26. I want to make sure when my permit comes through that I have something to carry regardless of what I'm wearing, so there are no excuses.

Honestly, I looked at everything they had that was relatively the same size and the PPK was the one I was drawn to. The Kahr's were ok, but I love the look of the Walther and I like the weight actually. I shot a Bersa and did not like it at all, so there were not a lot of options that were as small/thin as the PPK. I am not even a Bond fan, lol. I didn't even know it was 'his' gun until I started looking at them and someone told me.

I am glad mine seems to be a 'good' one too. I was apprehensive as I said, but it seems to be all good, so I am happy. :)

Now to convince the hubby I should have a Glock 30 too, to round things out. I wanted to buy one of those as well, but decided to get the Walther first so I could get the rebate (ends soon).
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    - Aristotle

As long as you've considered all your options, then go for it! Become a skilled and proficient shooter and know your PPK inside and out.
    Remember....there is no limit. You can always carry the PPK but explore and own many others. Personally, I carry a PM9 most days. However in some clothes, I scale down to a Ruger LCP. There is just no limit (so far).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links