New Glock... which flavor?

This is a discussion on New Glock... which flavor? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So it's about time again to add something new to the collection. I've decided it'll be a Glock this time since I don't have one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Glock... which flavor?

So it's about time again to add something new to the collection. I've decided it'll be a Glock this time since I don't have one yet and I've really liked the ones that I've shot.

My initial thought was to get a Glock 32 in .357SIG. The thought of having near .357 magnum performance in an autoloader format was appealing to me. However, looking around at my local stores, ammo is extremely limited and extremely expensive.

My next thought was a Glock 36. I really like the G36 and it seems to fit my hand really well, but I think I want something with a higher capacity this time around. I briefly looked at the G30 and the G30sf and both of those felt like giant bricks to me.

My next option is the G23. I don't know much about the .40 round, but from what I can tell from my brief research, it's a good middle ground between 9mm and .357SIG. The G23 feels comfortable in my hand, it has a decent capacity, and ammo is inexpensive. However, I read a bunch of stuff on the interwebs about G23 kabooms...

So.... as of right now, I'm still leaning towards the G23. Anyone have any advice? Maybe 10mm? I enjoy guns with a lot of bark and a healthy amount of recoil.

Here are my requirements:

1) Must be a Glock
    2) Not a 9mm
    3) At least 10rd capacity
    3) Preferably a compact, but a sub compact may do as well.

Thanks!

I've shot both Glock 22 and 23 without issues and currently own a G22. My 22 has about 5000 rounds through it since the end of January. My son has the G23 and about the same experience. Neither of us has experienced a gun related malfunction.

Those owning the G23 swear by them for being easier to carry than a full size G22 and having the flexibility to easily convert from 40 S&W to 9mm and 357SIG. Go out, rent one, shoot it and find out for yourself. That's what I did and I'm not the least bit disappointed in my choice.

I've got a Glock 29 - 10mm. Good prices on bulk ammo at Georgia Arms: Georgia Arms - 10 MM
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I have the G27. I'm no authority but I'd characterize the 27 as being almost the same animal just the slightest bit smaller so it's eaiser to conceal. You lose the accessory rail, but if your concealing, you probably aren't using it anyway.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I'd still go with the Glock-36. What will you gain with 10 + 1 that you can't do with 6 + 1?
    Isn't that why we carry extra mags?
    If you were going to war...get the higher capacity...for SD, 6 + 1 should work just fine.

My G-36 is sooooooo comfortable in the hand and is a great weapon to conceal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the G27, which is a 40 S&W round. I love the round and is very fun to shoot plus accurate. The only thing I disagree with is ammo is cheap..... If you want something cheap get 9mm...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd still go with the Glock-36. What will you gain with 10 + 1 that you can't do with 6 + 1?
    Isn't that why we carry extra mags?
    If you were going to war...get the higher capacity...for SD, 6 + 1 should work just fine.

My G-36 is sooooooo comfortable in the hand and is a great weapon to conceal.
    +1 The capacity doesn't bother me.

I'm loving my G36.

-Jeff-

What's wrong with the 9MM. A glock 19 seems a perfect first glock. You can shoot cheap range ammo for lots of trigger time. I think +p for self defense is pretty good. 9mm will put out about 450 ftlbs which is well above .38 spl+p and under .357 mag. And I believe the 9 mm=.354 inch. I would not dismiss it. The range ammo is second in price only to .22lr. If your already a .357 mag man (m&p340) why would you look at a 6 shot gun that wasn't a .357. A six shot revolver with the same ammo as your backup j-frame aint all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Superheat View Post
    What's wrong with the 9MM. A glock 19 seems a perfect first glock. You can shoot cheap range ammo for lots of trigger time. I think +p for self defense is pretty good. 9mm will put out about 450 ftlbs which is well above .38 spl+p and under .357 mag. And I believe the 9 mm=.354 inch. I would not dismiss it. The range ammo is second in price only to .22lr. If your already a .357 mag man (m&p340) why would you look at a 6 shot gun that wasn't a .357. A six shot revolver with the same ammo as your backup j-frame aint all bad.
    There's nothing wrong with 9mm... except that I already have 2 and was wanting to get something different... but the more I think about it, maybe another 9mm wouldn't be a bad thing...

If you like glock but don't need another 9mm and don't like the 30sf I guess go with a .40. It just doesn't make sense to me to get a 6 shot auto. A nice .357 revolver is great except it only has six shots. So what do you gain? Although the G36 is nice.

I'll have to agree with going to the G19 for the first one. For almost all the reasons you've posted like hi-cap, and ammo affordability. If I would have had my G19 six or seven years ago, I'd likely have only three Glocks in my collection right now. But like others, I seem to have to learn the hard way.

If you like glock but don't need another 9mm and don't like the 30sf I guess go with a .40. It just doesn't make sense to me to get a 6 shot auto. A nice .357 revolver is great except it only has six shots. So what do you gain? Although the G36 is nice.
    I agree 100%... otherwise I probably would've brought home a G36 today. The wife would probably enjoy me bringing home a new G19 more than a 23 as well... However, if we already own the gun she likes, it makes it harder to sell her on the idea of picking up a new one down the road

does anyone have any selling points on the Glock 32? Right now, it's looking like a neck and neck race with the 19 and the 23

It just doesn't make sense to me to get a 6 shot auto. A nice .357 revolver is great except it only has six shots. So what do you gain?
    1. Not everyone likes revolvers.
    2. Easier reloads if necessary.
    3. If I need more than 7 or 8 rounds, I'm in deep anyways.
    4. It only offers a few less rounds than the average concealable sub-compact.
    5. I like the Glock trigger.
    6. I like the .45ACP round.

Just to name a few.

-Jeff-

g-23 = g27 only smaller. easier to conceal imo since i had both.
    good luck in your desicion.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    1. Not everyone likes revolvers.
    2. Easier reloads if necessary.
    3. If I need more than 7 or 8 rounds, I'm in deep anyways.
    4. It only offers a few less rounds than the average concealable sub-compact.
    5. I like the Glock trigger.
    6. I like the .45ACP round.

Just to name a few.

-Jeff-
    Good points except for no. 1. EVERYONE loves revolvers and Chicks dig-em. ha ha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links