.357 or 9mm

.357 or 9mm

This is a discussion on .357 or 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The time will soon be here when I can afford my new gun. I am torn between getting a 9mm xd or a .357 j ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 or 9mm

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

.357 or 9mm

The time will soon be here when I can afford my new gun. I am torn between getting a 9mm xd or a .357 j frame. I have always shot 9s but am torn between the 2. I can get the j frame for about 60 less than the xd. I know the xd obviously holds more ammo and that is a plus but I am just torn. How much does range and defensive ammo in .357 normally run? Can one that has always shot semi autos be happy with a j frame?

I'm a huge revolver fan but sure would choose the 9mm XD over a J-Frame .357 Magnum revolver. In my view the .357 Magnum user would be better served with a larger revolver. The J-Frame in .357 Magnum is more of a stunt in my view.

Though the .357 Magnum is relatively economical in today's terms, the 9mm is less costly.

If your comfortable with pistols, stick with the xd. Easier to carry, holds more rounds, and easier to reload if needed. IMO

Also, 9mm is one of the cheapest guns to shoot (besides .22!)

Good luck

Seems like if you shoot .38's thru the j-frame for practice and reserve most of the .357's for defensive purposes, you could keep costs down. But thats what I would do. As for being happy, I would have to own both.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I would go for the J frame because of the ease of carry.You won't leave home with out it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm a huge revolver fan but sure would choose the 9mm XD over a J-Frame .357 Magnum revolver. In my view the .357 Magnum user would be better served with a larger revolver. The J-Frame in .357 Magnum is more of a stunt in my view.

Though the .357 Magnum is relatively economical in today's terms, the 9mm is less costly.
    I agree with Mr. bmcgilvray.

I won't shoot a J-Frame .357 magnum, and I love the .357 Magnum cartridge.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I agree with Mr. bmcgilvray.

I won't shoot a J-Frame .357 magnum, and I love the .357 Magnum cartridge.

Biker
    I'm not shooting .357 in a J frame either.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I was looking at the .357sig for the xd until I seen the price of ammo. Something about the .357 that draws my eye, but more than likely will go with the 9

Well I carry a j-frame 38 special, and as said before it is such an easy carry that you will always carry it. I dont have the xd but do have the mp compact and of the 2 the j-frame is the one always with me..its just too easy to conceal and extremely comfortable to carry. The other thing to think about is the realiabilty of a revolver. Yes the xd is reliable but you cant have a stove pipe in a revolver.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Seems like if you shoot .38's thru the j-frame for practice and reserve most of the .357's for defensive purposes, you could keep costs down. But thats what I would do. As for being happy, I would have to own both.
    Your avitar-----what can I say----holy crap, that's spooky.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

If you buy a J Frame revolver the odds are pretty good that you will not shoot 357 magnum loads in it. If you want to shoot 357 Magnum loads a S&W L Frame is a good choice.
    Last edited by wmhawth; December 9th, 2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

A j-frame is an experts gun, its hard to shoot well. Unless you get crimson trace grips, then I would say its probably the perfect ccw. You didn't say if you were going to carry it. If you talk to people who know they all carry a j-frame (well almost all). Its just so easy to conceal and the reliability is as good as it gets.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Well correct me if i am wrong but in all reality you are getting nominal gains out of the 357 compaired to a .38. This being because the bullet has a short barrel to travel thus not being able to build enough speed and ft/lbs to really makeit worth it. Think about it this way; 2 cars one with a normal motor with gasoline and one with a normal motor with rocket fuel. Well you would say the rocket fuel would be much faster right? Well the cars only have 10ft of track. The gains of the rocket fuel really wont be scene. Physics are tricky sometimes.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

I vote for the .357

I love my 340. It takes a bit of dedication to learn to shoot it well and without a lot of pain, but it sure is fun!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have both 9mm and 357 Sig in my 3 carry autos. I reload the 357 Sig and have a great formula for it. I've decided to use it as my carry caliber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links