HK P7

HK P7

This is a discussion on HK P7 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry this pistol? I'd like to know your thoughts about it and what kind of holster you use. Thanks...

Thread: HK P7

HK P7

Does anyone carry this pistol? I'd like to know your thoughts about it and what kind of holster you use. Thanks

JD
    Administrator
    I have a P7 PSP and I really, really like it.

I carry it in a UBG Canute IWB.

I love the size of it and it's creepy accurate.

There are only two things I don't like about it, those are both training issues, but issues none the less...

1: When shooting left hand only, it's hard to get accurate hits due to the hand strength required to cock the pistol (I'm righty and have less issue shooting RH only)
    2: The European mag release is different than all my other guns which makes for less fluid mag changes.

I have also added a double mag carrier from HBE for the gun and it works equally well.

Eventally I will be getting a OWB rig, I'm torn between getting a UBG Regulator or something from HBE

I carry and H&K P2000 but if I had a P7, I would split the carrying time between the two; probably the P7 in the summer.

The first time I ever fired a P7, I knocked down 5 steel plates w/5 shots, at 25 yds, as fast as I could go. It is "some kind of accurate".

As far as holsters, check out http://www.ttgunleather.com/

Quality work at 25% of a Milt Sparks.

They made the holster for my P2000 in 8 weeks as opposed to waiting 6-8 months for the Milt Sparks. TT Gunleather will get all of my future business.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

yes. this is my EDC. I have the following holsters:

Crossbreed super-tuck. The most comfortable IWB
    Sparks VMII - Nice
    Garrity Incognito - very nice. I prefer it to the VMII
    Del Fatti LP HTL - very high quality OWB
    Boomstick holster - also very high quality OWB.
    Haugen OWB - nice, a couple of things not to my taste but those are personal preference issues
    Tucker the answer - not as comfortable as I expected it to be

If I had to pick one IWB and one OWB from what I have, it would be the Crossbreed and the Boomstick. My second choices would be the Garrity and the Del Fatti.
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Does anyone carry this pistol? I'd like to know your thoughts about it and what kind of holster you use. Thanks
    A few years ago when I was searching for a new CCW, the P7 was one I thought I'd want. I tested carrying in a nice K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories OWB holster. I ended up with a HK P2000SK. While the P7 is a very nice pistol, I had some personal issues with it... mainly trigger discipline. I determined it was not the gun for me because of the too light, IMHO, trigger. I prefer a longer, heavier pull on a CCW. But...that's just me.

The P7's only shortcoming is that it is heavier than many. It is reliable, accurate, slim and compact. Many holster makers produce quality rigs these days.

Are you looking for the M8 model or the PSP type? Neither holsters nor magazines are interchangable.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    I carry and H&K P2000 but if I had a P7, I would split the carrying time between the two; probably the P7 in the summer.

The first time I ever fired a P7, I knocked down 5 steel plates w/5 shots, at 25 yds, as fast as I could go. It is "some kind of accurate".

As far as holsters, check out TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

Quality work at 25% of a Milt Sparks.

They made the holster for my P2000 in 8 weeks as opposed to waiting 6-8 months for the Milt Sparks. TT Gunleather will get all of my future business.
    Just for accuracy's sake, can I presume you intended to state 25% OFF Milt Sparks? That's pretty close with a VM-2 and comparable looking prduct from TT (The TT stuff does look nice!).

And for the record, not sure of history beyone the last couple years, but Sparks has been quoting and AFAIK delivering in no more than 26 weeks (current quote is 20-26 weeks). Never seen or heard of an 8 month wait there.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but can someone possibly include in their answer he difference between the M-8 and PSP models of the P-7, for those HK neophytes among us (umm... like ME). Thanks
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but can someone possibly include in their answer he difference between the M-8 and PSP models of the P-7, for those HK neophytes among us (umm... like ME). Thanks
    PSP has heel mag release, smaller trigger guard, mags not interchangable, and no heat shield. Pump 50 rounds through her fast and won't want to be holding it anymore. The Don Hume JIT holster for the M8 does fit even though Don hume says it doesn't.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

P7

I carry mine in a Fist IWB.
    Untitled Document

It's butt-heavy, needs a good holster and belt combo to keep from slipping back or flopping around.

I have both a P7 (what most people mistakenly call a PSP--a P7 and a PSP are not he same...) and a P7M8. My preferred carry is in a Galco Royal Guard IWB. Very comfortable..

It's one of my main carry guns; It's probably the pistol I shoot most accurately with, I like how the safety is instinctive, and I also kinda like that not a whole lot of non-gunnies know how it works...not that I ever anticipate losing control over it, but, should that ever happen, it could work in my favor.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    PSP has heel mag release, smaller trigger guard, mags not interchangable, and no heat shield. Pump 50 rounds through her fast and won't want to be holding it anymore. The Don Hume JIT holster for the M8 does fit even though Don hume says it doesn't.
    Thanks
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I have a Del Fatti BPB, but will carry my P7M8 more often when the Bulman PDC comes-in (and after around 8 months, I hope it comes soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Just for accuracy's sake, can I presume you intended to state 25% OFF Milt Sparks? That's pretty close with a VM-2 and comparable looking prduct from TT (The TT stuff does look nice!).

And for the record, not sure of history beyone the last couple years, but Sparks has been quoting and AFAIK delivering in no more than 26 weeks (current quote is 20-26 weeks). Never seen or heard of an 8 month wait there.

Yes, I was referring to the fact that TTGunleather products cost about 25% less than comparable MS products.

I don't follow the delivery times for either MS or TT. When I was looking to get an IWB, the published wait time for MS was 26 wks (6 months). The scuttlebutt on various internet forums, at that time, was 6+ months. I didn't feel like waiting that long and found TTGunleather.

MS have holsters for certain popular brands (like for Glocks & 1911s) already made; you might be able to walk into a gun shop and pick one right up. Not so for less popular brands like H&K.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member

Some holsters for you to look at.

Number one is a Don Hume J.I.T. model 25 belt slide for the P7 M8. Don Hume says it won't fit a PSP. I say it does.

Number two is a G-Code paddle. Range5 Home Page

Number three is an ex-german police duty rig for the PSP. Built like a tank but not suitable for CC. There's a guys selling these on Ebay brand new surplus for $20.
    Attached Images
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Links