Taurus - Good or Bad. - Page 5

Taurus - Good or Bad.

This is a discussion on Taurus - Good or Bad. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned the M44C Tracker 44 mag. w/2.5 " barrel. It did have some binding issues w/240 gr UMC bullets. Otherwise it was a ...

View Poll Results: Taurus - Good or Bad experience?

Voters
486. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have owned 1 or more Taurus handguns and have not had trouble.

300 61.73%
  • I have owned 1 or more Taurus handguns and have had trouble.

63 12.96%
  • I have not owned, but shot Taurus handguns and have not had trouble.

30 6.17%
  • I have not owned, but shot Taurus handguns and have had trouble.

9 1.85%
  • I have no experience with Taurus handguns but like them from other sources.

46 9.47%
  • I have no experience with Taurus handguns but dislike them from other sourses.

38 7.82%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taurus - Good or Bad.

I have owned the M44C Tracker 44 mag. w/2.5 " barrel. It did have some binding issues w/240 gr UMC bullets. Otherwise it was a great gun.
    I currently own the 450 .45 colt tracker w/snub barrel and a 445 and am very pleased.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

I had a Model 85 .38spl snub. Accuracy was fine...especially like to play with 50 yard shots for fun. The only problem was that the cylinder release would loosen up frequently. I wish I'd kept it, but it was the ex's favorite wep... Out with the old.... Now, I thinking about another snub revolver. Sheesh!
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I had an old Taurus revolver and I had some problems with it. Every 200 rounds or so, it would stop indexing correctly and sometimes wouldn't lock up. Sent it back a bunch of times and it kept happening. I traded it on my first Ruger SP101.

I have purchased a few and sold them or traded them and have not missed them. No bad experiences, but nothing wicked awesome either. I am considering trying out a 1911, we will see.

Supposedly they are a lot better than they were; maybe, but I'll spend a little more (and in the relative world, it is just a little more) and buy something that wasn't made in Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by DizTbone View Post
    I had a Model 85 .38spl snub. I wish I'd kept it Now, I thinking about another snub revolver. Sheesh!
    We now have Charter Arms' Rimless Revolvers to add to the mix!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    Taurus PT145 aprox 400rds thru it (various brands)----Zero Problems but I hate the straight eight sights (going to change them to Williams Fire Sights)
    I'm glad to hear yu have no problems, because I have seriously considered purchasing that gun. 10 rds of 45 in a weapon of that size with a safety is highly attractive. I LOVE Heine sights, and it is a major bonus for me considering it. I have replaced my three-dot sight on my XD subcompact 9mm with Heine night sights and would never change them back. I am glad you reminded me of this piece.

I have others I am considering buying; Taurus Judge, Charter Arms Rimless Revolver, SigSauer P250 modular. Along with a Benelli shotgun. Where can the money come from I wonder?

And off topic, speaking of money, what the heck happened to S&W stock? I bought it right when it went "down" to $10 and then plummeted to below $4. Sugar.

I had a PT940 that was very accurate and wish I still had it but when you want to keep buying toys some you have to sell. I'm probably buying a PT1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    Well, 93civicsedan, you did the right thing by sending it back. You got if used it sounds like and may have been "WELL" used to boot. Your description sound to me like it is a worn magazine ejector. When those things get worn, it does not take a whole lot for it to simply let go and keep the magazine where it should be. Any drop or loosening of the magazine will cause the ammo malfunction (jam) it is common on any semi-automatic pistol that partly looses it's grip on the magazine. It has happened to even some of the best names in the industry, like Walther and Beretta. Once you tried a new magazine, I pretty much could figure the magazine ejector piece. This is not a high dollar item, but can cause grief, as you saw, when it becomes worn out.

Good info. I didn't know what would cause the issue. Thanks!

That really is good info.

I think their revolvers are better than their semiautos. I have a millineum pt745 single stack 45 that is ammo picky, but is fine as long as your using the ammo it likes. Very soft shooter for a small 45.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

VIP Member
    PT-1911. Good.

For those who are interested in reading good and bad about Taurus, check out Taurus Armed. Lot's of good information there, including "fixes" for some of the problems people have encountered.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Thought I would share my experience with Taurus' warranty work. My letter I sent to them outlining the issue is on page 6. I called once to check the status of the repair and the gentleman on the phone told me "the gun was recieved on the 9th and it takes 3-4 weeks from them".

I called back about a week and a half later, I spoke with another man on the phone. He told me "the gun was put into the system on the 12th and it takes 4-5 weeks from then". I tell him that is not what someone told me previously and gave him the name of who I spoke with.

He tells me that I "must have been mistaken". I ask to speak with his supervisor. He declines. I demand to speak with him immediately, he asks me to hold the line. I do. He comes back to me after 2-3 minutes and tells me that he has spoken with his supervisor and the gun will be at my house the next week, FIXED (this call was on a Friday). I tell him this is fine.

Sure enough I got it back this Wednesday (3 business days from the time of the call). It was in a new Taurus case, with a new manual (was for a revolver though haha). There was a copy of the repairs done, the cost (they paid), and a thank you letter.

The gun had clearly been test fired as it was FILTHY (I keep it clean). I broke it down and cleaned it. I have yet to test fire it but hope to Friday.

I give the overall experience with the warranty work a B-. It could have been better and also much worse.

Just wanted to share this with everyone. I will report back with the range results.

I only have one, a 606, 6 shot 357 snub nose revolver with a compensated barrel. It wasn't indexing correctly and would spit copper bullet casing out the side of the cylinder. Sent it back to Taurus, they fixed it right up, polished it beautifully and sent it back at no charge. I like 'em.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

PM
    Bought a 111 mil/pro Jan 3 (happy birthday to me!!). When I shot it the first time it feed the WWB very well. I am now awaiting the HP ammo to vet the gun with those before carrying it! I will need to learn to shoot the gun as it is a compact and I cuurently carry a full size but the shot placement is my fault not the gun's!!

I have a Taurus nine shot .22 ultralite snubby. After firing about 18 rounds the spent shell casings cannot be removed from the cylinder with or without the use of the plunger rod which is supposed to expel the spent shell casings. The gun is now on my "get rid of list."

My wife has a Taurus .38 special ultralite with quite a few rounds downrange with no problem. I've have completely disassembled both weapons and find the materials and workmanship to be a couple degrees below a Smith & Wesson. They are not bad guns but I would never buy another, be it a wheel gun or semi auto. Sure a Smith or Ruger cost a little more but you are getting so much more for your money. While I've never owned/shot a Taurus semi auto I think the difference in quality between say a Glock or S&W M&P and the Taurus weapon would send most people running to the better weapon.

I own a PT92AF and love it as my wife does and also had a model 85 .38 snubbie I unfortunatly had to let go but loved it none the less
    Sig P220R .45ACP
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Rem 870 12ga.
    Bushmaster M-4 .223/5.56
    HK P2000 9mm
    Glock 31 .357

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links