Taurus - Good or Bad. - Page 7

Taurus - Good or Bad.

This is a discussion on Taurus - Good or Bad. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own 3 Taurus handguns. The 2 model 85's are absolutely reliable, and one rides in my briefcase every day to and from work. The ...

View Poll Results: Taurus - Good or Bad experience?

Voters
486. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have owned 1 or more Taurus handguns and have not had trouble.

300 61.73%
  • I have owned 1 or more Taurus handguns and have had trouble.

63 12.96%
  • I have not owned, but shot Taurus handguns and have not had trouble.

30 6.17%
  • I have not owned, but shot Taurus handguns and have had trouble.

9 1.85%
  • I have no experience with Taurus handguns but like them from other sources.

46 9.47%
  • I have no experience with Taurus handguns but dislike them from other sourses.

38 7.82%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

1 out of 3

I own 3 Taurus handguns.
    The 2 model 85's are absolutely reliable, and one rides in my briefcase every day to and from work.
    The PT111 had problems with FTF. It is an early model, bought new, and the magazine did not stay in place when full - it appeared to drop just low enough for the top round to catch on the feed ramp. It was sent back to Taurus by the dealer and fixed promptly. They returned it with a new magazine, one with a finger rest extension. While it can be finicky with ammo, it has been fully functional with several good choices: Rem. Golden Saber 124; Rem. 115 +P; Fed. 115 (C9BP).
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I have very limited experience with Taurus other than a PT92 (pre-decocker) that I inherited from my father-in-law. I personally would not have purchased one, not because it's a Taurus, but only because I don't like the size of the gun. A Hi-Power just makes more sense to me. The PT92 though, has been flawless for the 7-years that I've owned it and makes a decent bedside gun.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

I really, really, really, really, really, really want the Tracker 627 4" model. The price is right, it looks good, it appeals to me.

Couple more weeks and I'll have it too.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I've had mixed results with Taurus. Had a PT99 that was great. It was an early model made with Beretta tooling and performed like a champ. Then I got a .357 Tracker, and had problems out of the box with the cylinder locking up. It improved with use, but never was right, so I traded it.

In spite of the trouble, there are some models I would buy. I like the 24/7OSS models.

Own one - a Model 617 7-shot revolver. It's my EDC. Goes bang when I pull the trigger. "Fun" to shoot. Never had any problems. No failures to eject or failures to feed. ...

Lookin' to go with a 1911 for my primary EDC. The PT1911 is pretty high up there on my list...

Pleased with Taurus 24/7, PT145

Very pleased with both my 24/7 (.40) and PT 145. Both are solidly built, well finished guns. The 145 continues to amaze me with its weight and size with 10+1 .45 in such a compact package.

I would always choose the stainless over the blued. It's worth noting that although TaurusArmed.net, the owners' forum, has a lot of threads about new Taurus' arriving full of storage cosmoline, both my NIB guns arrived clean and dry as a bone (and needed a little lube before first firing).
    Very happy. I'd recommend Taurus. In the Mil Pro's, I would absolutely go with the .40 or the .45 (each come with 10 rd max capacity) over the 111 9mm (12 rd mags). Same dimensions on all three, and who wouldn't choose 10 of .45 in the same package as 12 9mm?

This is my PT 92 afs,the only problem ive had with it,is nobody but Galco,make holsters for it,and they only make 3,the most expensive that they make is the Royal deluxe,$180.00and the concealable,its 100 bucks,both OWB,The Royal Guard is the only IWB and it costs $125.00,I ordered some rosewood grips from the Taurus Factory for mine today.So if ya get one,just plan on sticking it in yer belt,believe me ive checked every stock factory maker.some people say that a Berretta 92 and Taurus, 92will fit the same holster,but when ordering online,you cant hardly try them on for size,....other than that,im very pleased with the gun.I bought the 9mm,instead of the 40 call,have enough of them as is,ammo ,too expencive its the one on the right.

I had Taurus PT938. Really nice .380. They no longer make this model. I sold it a couple of years ago and I regret it.

PT92AF that is flawless and never a bit of trouble. Would trust my life with it.

PT140SS (1st Gen Millenium) that literally broke on the firing line and had to be shipped back. I got the gun back made one trip to the range with it and it's been locked in the safe since.

Be Safe,
    NosaM

I have had a few taurus guns. Only one I have had any problems with is the 1911. Overall for the money well worth it!

I have a Taurus 24/7 pro in a 9mm and have had no problems. Not only that, but i think the grip is great, at least for me, and love the trigger. I am relatively inexperienced, but for me, the Taurus has been a great first experience with over 600 rounds through it already. Only problem is a weak spring in a clip that doesn't always like to push the last round up. For the price of the pistol and it coming with 2 clips, I wouldn't take anything for it. Matter of fact, I'm planning to purchase more Taurus handguns as soon as the 709 and 738 come out. I'm not a Taurus fanboy, as my wife has a Kahr and I'm looking at a PM9 for muyself as well. Just my experience!

The Taurus guns arent bad. Its the magazines that suck. This seems to be the case with every Taurus I have seen with problems. On the Millenium models, the extra thin steel mags dig into the brass and cause problems feeding. It seems to be worse on 45 their 45acp models. If they would start making their mags out of a thicker gage stainless, I beleive it would solve alot of problems. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    The Taurus guns arent bad. Its the magazines that suck. This seems to be the case with every Taurus I have seen with problems. On the Millenium models, the extra thin steel mags dig into the brass and cause problems feeding. It seems to be worse on 45 their 45acp models. If they would start making their mags out of a thicker gage stainless, I beleive it would solve alot of problems. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.
    I have PT111 with 2k through it never a problem with magazines at all.
    But i have heard or read of the problem with the 45acp mags.

I've got two. A pt 111 pro and a pt 1911 like them both. never had a problem out of either of them.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links