What's up with the LCP?

What's up with the LCP?

This is a discussion on What's up with the LCP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there is a recall, but has production been halted as well? They seem very hard to get....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the LCP?

What's up with the LCP?

I know there is a recall, but has production been halted as well? They seem very hard to get.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i was at a gun show this weekend and saw one at pretty much every other table that was there...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I read that Ruger put a manufacturing "hold" on production to work on improving the little guy. Who knows if it's true.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I guess the one's found at gun shows are probably the ones that haven't been retrofitted yet.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    that's possible. i only looked at one, it had the diamond on it. but who knows?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

B2K
    I was told by the receptionist at Ruger the week before Thanksgiving that they were back in production and she was to inform Customers who asked that they would start shipping before the end of November.

Maybe if anyone sees one a gun show, you could provide the first 3 of the serial number? Then we'd know if they are post recall production models.

But have you had to do a 'Fluff-n-Buff' on your Kel-Tecs? I'd rather have a company choose to do a recall than ignore a problem. It's better for them to say "Hey, this is a problem and we're going to fix it" than for them to just sweep it under the rug as many companies do. Ruger is handling the recall in a good way. They're paying shipping, tossing in a free mag, pinky extension, and a hat. They've made it as perfect as they can and I'd rather send it back to them under those circumstances than just having a gun that has a problem the company swept under the rug. While your K-Ts haven't been recalled, I'd still rather have my LCP.
    "I play for keeps."

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Production on all parts except the ones affected by the recall continued while the new parts were designed and then put into production. Final assembly and shipping began several weeks ago coincident with recall processing. The new ones arriving through distribution have been modified. The early ones still have the serial number prefix 370- but have the diamond stamp indicating that the recall processing was completed. When the already produced component containing the serial number is used up, the new component will contain the serial number prefix 371-. Units with the serial number prefix of 370- with the diamond stamp and units with 371- are essentially identical.

Much more in depth information available on extremely long threads available at Elsie Pea Forum - The #1 Ruger LCP Owner Forum and Information Source.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

What I heard is that Ruger put a condition on the availability of the LCPs to sellers. I had one dealer tell me they had to take $5k of other Ruger products to get one LCP. Don't know if it's true, but Ruger could be putting the screws on the dealers to sell other lines, rather than just the popular LCP. Not sure that makes sense to me (why not capture market share with a hot product and large volumes?), but that's what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    What I heard is that Ruger put a condition on the availability of the LCPs to sellers. I had one dealer tell me they had to take $5k of other Ruger products to get one LCP. Don't know if it's true, but Ruger could be putting the screws on the dealers to sell other lines, rather than just the popular LCP. Not sure that makes sense to me (why not capture market share with a hot product and large volumes?), but that's what I heard.

While I can't confirm whether Ruger is doing that, it is a pretty common marketing ploy. Several dozen compainies utilize the exact marketing model. The company knows that the dealers will try to buy as many as they can and this way distribution can clear their inventory as well. This can be seen in the automotive industry, collectible market, and hell for that matter comic book sales. It shows a good healthy bottom line for distribution and runs the dealers into the ground, unless they are a huge company (i.e., Dick's, Academy, etc.) I truly can not stand marketing of this nature, as I agree with you. If you make a good product the consumers will purchase it.

As for me I would like to see and LCP, but by the time that I realized that they were out there they were either gone due to popularity of recall.

The made the stores by something like 3 10/22's, 2 SR9s?, 2 of this and 2 of that in order to get 1-3 LCPs. Per a VA Dealer that I use at the shows. He sold me mine.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

I went into a local gunstore in Seattle last week (or maybe the week before) and they had just received a box full of LCPs. I bought one and a couple other people were also purchasing one. There was a Ruger rep there that said they were all corrected/post recall LCPs and also gave me a free hat and catalog.

All in all, I'm glad I walked in when I did: now I get exactly what I wanted for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    Won't dispute this, but find it hard to believe. Last I talked to my local dealer, he was receiving 5-8 LCPs per week from his wholesaler. If the $5000/1LCP ratio were true, that wholesaler would have a HUGE inventory of Ruger firearms. However, the last time I spoke with my dealer about the LCP was before the recall, so it's entirely possible that the supply has changed in that time.

As the owner of both a P3AT and a LCP, I may not be "qualified" to make a comparison, but I do feel it's "fair" for me to make a comparison as an owner.

My P3AT has never failed me but neither has my LCP. The P3AT has obviously had it's fair share of problems or they wouldn't be on the second generation. And the peening problem on the P3AT has created a cottage business for the guy selling the washers to install in your P3AT to prevent the recoil spring/guide rod from shooting out the front of the slide. While Kel Tec seems to be very good at repairing a pistol that breaks, their general philosophy seems to be that IF your pistol breaks, we'll fix it. Ruger, on the other hand, issued a complete recall of the affected firearms to correct the problem instead of waiting for the individual to have an issue.

In the rather subjective aspects of fit/finish and general appearance, the LCP wins hands down IMO. I have fired my P3AT only once since acquiring my LCP and that was only for a comparison between the two. If I ever find someone local looking for a P3AT, I'd probably sell it as I don't see it ever being used in the future. I'll stick with the LCP.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The Ruger recall is for the possibility of a discharge if dropped. They had to do this. To entice people to return a brand new gun, they offer a free magazine and a LCP cap. A lot cheaper than defending liability lawsuits.
    And, I have read that the LCP cap is a copy of the Kel-Tec cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Glide View Post
    The Ruger recall is for the possibility of a discharge if dropped. They had to do this. To entice people to return a brand new gun, they offer a free magazine and a LCP cap. A lot cheaper than defending liability lawsuits.
    That is the best post on this tread. Also to the KT 'fluff n Buff' comment, it is used to help in break in, not repairing a dangerous flaw.

To address the OP's question... it's partly due to the recall but, the market for a pistol this size is in high demand. A lot of people want it because it's 'easy' to carry. Same thing happened when the first generation LCP came out in 2003.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links