The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice?

This is a discussion on The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The M&P GREAT CHOISE I Would run & get one now!!! A CC LICENSE & NO HANDGUN RUN Forest RUN PS Welcome to the forum ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice?

The M&P GREAT CHOISE I Would run & get one now!!! A CC LICENSE & NO HANDGUN RUN Forest RUN PS Welcome to the forum H/D

2. Remove Ads

Go for it! Get the compact (and get the 40 ) I just got mine a few weeks ago and it shoots great. Fits my hand better than anything else I've ever shot. It conceals easily, and I'm a small guy 5'9" 150 lbs. I've shot the 9mm and the .40 and the recoil was virtually the same. The .40 does cost a little more to shoot, but it's not bad. Also the compact holds 10 + 1 rounds.

Yeah a HUGE negative on the clip thing. You have to keep the trigger covered since there is no safety other than the two-stage trigger.

Be safe and have fun shopping!!

Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    i carried a 40 compact for about a year before the gun developed a problems and i found the 1911world.
    Have you posted a thread about the problems you had with your 40c?? I would like to hear about it if you have the time.

jim
    I've been carrying my 9c for almost 2 years and really like it. Easy to conceal, which is a big plus down here in South Florida.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I've been carrying my 9c for almost 2 years and really like it. Easy to conceal, which is a big plus down here in South Florida.
    Hey Jim,

How do you conceal yours typically? IWB? What kind of holster do you wear? Also, what kind of clothing do you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Forgot to ask you: what kind of sights are those? That is a gorgeous looking firearm, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by vicioustruth View Post
    Forgot to ask you: what kind of sights are those? That is a gorgeous looking firearm, btw.
    I could be wrong, but those look like Burwell's own sights that he makes. M&P rear sights now avaiable

He makes both a plain and single tritium. Here's a post over at MP-Pistol that has more details on them: What Night Sight's Are Available From Dan?

I've carried my full size M&P for close to two years now, with 200 rounds through it each week at least once with out any failures or mechanical problems. I had the same quandry as you with the 17, but ended up getting the M&P because I didnt like the grips on the Glock, and the trigger on M&P is ALOT better.

M&P all the way.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

2nd note: the yellow box Remington UMC ammo (package of 250) shoots considerably worse (accuracy) then WWB or any other cheap practice ammo, and its quite dirty.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

jim
    Quote Originally Posted by vicioustruth View Post
    Hey Jim,

How do you conceal yours typically? IWB? What kind of holster do you wear? Also, what kind of clothing do you wear?
    I carry iwb with 2 holsters...a High Noon Public Secret or an Ugly Bald Guy Canute that I modified to ride a little lower but still have a good firing grip. Both holsters are very well made and comfortable.

I usually wear jeans or shorts and a loose Hawaiian-style sport shirt. It conceals well under a t-shirt, also...the main problem is that I don't, anymore.

As for the sights, eagle5 hit it dead-on. The front sight is a stock night sight and the rear is from Dan Burwell. I like the 2-dot setup...not as busy to me as the 3-dots.

Thanks for the compliment, vicious. There's a lot of good pistols out there...I don't think you'd go wrong with the M&P.

Jim

I have 2 M&P's, one is full size and the other is a compact. Both are 9mm. They are great. I have over a thousand rounds through the full size without a problem. You will be very happy with whichever size you choose.
    Dieu et les Dames

Vicious,

Howdy neighbor and welcome to the forum!!
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

All I can say is I love my M&P9c. Shoots like a dream and never gives me a problem.
    كافر

About a year ago, I was in an indoor gunrange and a fellow about two lanes down was shooting the full size version. I was shooting my XD45 and after he brought in his target, he made a low gutteral moan. He asked me what I was shooting as my group.....well was just that, a group. His on the other hand looked like his target had been shot with 00 buckshot. He was ready to chunk it and start all over. I asked to shoot it and he handed me the gun, a box of ammo and new target. I proceeded to tear a ragged hole at 15 yards with the gun, reeled in the target and handed it back to him to shoot. I immediately saw that the problem was he had no practical shooting experience. After about 30 minutes working with his grip and trigger, he also was tearing a slightly ragged hole and he thanked me. I left feeling good that I could help another, but also with a new respect for the M&P 9. It felt great in my hand and shot like a target grade handgun.

I agree with the others that the compact version would be easier to conceal, but I also carry a similar sized gun in my XD45 Service (4") and my Commander length 1911. I carry them both IWB and hve done so for many years successfully.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    go for it
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links