The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice?

This is a discussion on The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My M&P 9c ran flawlessly for the first 3500-4000 rounds then the mags started dropping out while I was shooting. I flipped the mag release ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice?

My M&P 9c ran flawlessly for the first 3500-4000 rounds

then the mags started dropping out while I was shooting. I flipped the mag release around to left handed mode and the problem stopped while I waited for S&W to replace it. Took a little over 2 weeks to get a replacement mag release.

It was a pretty decent gun. Easy to shoot and easy to conceal... but I sold it after it started flaking out on me

2. Remove Ads

M&P 9

I carry the full size M&P9 with a Kramer leather IWB holster. It is a great combination. The holster is a little expensive and I had to wait about 2 months to get it once I ordered it but it is very comfortable to wear. I can wear it all day and hardly notice it. I've got over 1000 rounds through my gun and love it. No problems at all. Hghly recommend both the gun and holster.

I have the 9c on me now in a Crossbreed Supertuck. My cousin has the service sized 40, and the recoil is definitely snappier to me. While it is smaller, remember the 9mm is a higher velocity round. Seeing as I can take almost twice the ammo to the range with me for the same money, I'd rather have the ammo to practice with. I see a lot of people at work that have survived abdominal gunshot wounds. Not too many with thoracic or head wounds though. Placement is key when stopping a threat.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

VIP Member
    Get the M&P9c. It's my CC and it's just flat out flawless. I own three M&P's and they are tippy top. I just can't recommend them enough.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I got the m&p 9 full size 2 or 3 years ago as a xmas gift from the father-in-law, i asked for a 45 but i am so happy he got me this and a 9

I have put 1000 of rounds in it, blaser winchester mostly, and have cleaned it twice and it wasnt even dirty

I got my ccl in nov and a thesis holster coupl weeks ago, i dont understand why anybody would carry the compact or anything else, in about a second i can draw and hit a 6in target 10' away and have 17 follow up shots
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

I carry a full size XD in my MTAC Minotaur and love it. The holster is fantastic, just as I'm sure the Crossbreed and others are. The leather/kydex IWB hybrids are a great way to comfortably carry a concealed handgun.

Hindsight being 20/20 (and the principle driver of new purchases), I would go with the compact or subcompact for concealed carry. Also, there is nothing wrong with the 9mm with the fantastic defensive ammunition made these days.

Welcome!!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Full Size M&P9 was my first carry weapon when I obtained my CCW. I liked it so much I went out and bought the Full size M&P40/357Sig with a Crimson Trace Laser Grip. My M&P40/357Sig is my current carry weapon and has been flawless just as my M&P9. I would not hesitate to recommend either one for carry or home defense.

A buddy has the 9c. I've shot it a few times. It's a fine gun but I'm perfectly happy with my full size 9. Very comfortable to shoot and quite accurate. The fact that it holds 17 rounds in the clip with another chambered it has all the fire power I can imagine ever needing. Hopefully it won't ever be needed but........

Been carrying my 40c for 5 years almost every day all day. Loved it so much I added a 45c, which I also love.

Do it!

I wouldn't mind trying the 45 just to see the difference in recoil compared to my 9MM. Although I have just ordered some +P ammo for my 9. From what I read the +P ammo should be just fine. I can't wait to get the ammo so I can try it. Speer HP +P.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I can't believe out of all these M&P owners nobody has told you how to solve the problem of full size verses compact size. From one M&P owner to a soon to be M&P owner, this is what you should do. Get the M&P9 Compact, then just get the Full size mags from the M&P9. They fit right in.

Then you spend an extra $10-$14 on this XGRIP : Sub-Compact Handgun Magazine Adapters : Product List
    which converts the full size mag into a full size grip (so you are not just gripping the mag)

Problem solved Two guns for the price of one. Trust me you will want to be able to have the Compact version on those hot days.

P.S. I shoot competitively with my full size M&P40, my dad, uncle and girlfriend all carry the M&P9c, my Boss has/carries the M&P40c and my manager has/carries the M&P9...we all love and trust our lives with them.

P.P.S. I have over 3500 rounds through mine without any major problems... when I pull that trigger It goes BANG!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

You will be pleased with the M&P9

Congratulations on getting your Conceal Carry. I too, recently got mine, and I think it may have been my proudest day (second only to the birth of my children)

My first weapon ever, and the one that I carry daily is the Smith and Wesson Full-Size M&P9. I am a little bigger than you at 5'10, but it carries very nicely in an IWB holster, in the small of my back. I bought a left-handed Uncle Mike's, and it draws with my right hand from inside the waistband. I find that a T-shirt tucked in, with a button down shirt worn loosely over it, conceals it very well. I might not wear that combination to the beach, but it works fine for summer evenings here in Georgia.

Before I bought the M&P9, I did not have a lot of experience with handguns, but I did my homework, and talked to some professionals. I am SO extremely happy with the choice that I made. I can't imagine having found a better pistol. I am however, also considering buying the S&W M&P 9 Shield. It is nice, and it will carry concealed VERY well. It feels so good in my hand.

Good luck on your choice. If you do go with the M&P9, I think you will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by vicioustruth View Post
    Having recently been awarded my Conceal Carry license, I've been enthusiastically researching my first pistol purchase, and I think I've decided on the Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm. Here are some of my reasons; I'd like to know what other more experienced folks here think and would especially like to hear from M&P owners.

Price: around $500 is all I can afford right now, and I think its far better to have a $500 weapon than to wait another 4 months or so with no weapon.

I know a lot of people swear by the Glock 17, and I respect their opinion, but I just never felt all that comfortable shooting it. I have always known I wanted a polymer pistol, but Glock would be settling for something I dont love. The M&P comes with 3 different sized grips which I think is extremely attractive as someone who has bigger hands and thin fingers. And at 26oz. it is nice and light.

I havent been shooting for a long time, only regularly for about a year now, but I have been very partial to .40 and .45 ACP since I started. I have shot 9mm more than once and found it to be considerably easier to shoot than the .40 or .45, but that lack of power had worried me. When I came across the M&P and saw that it could carry 17+1, I decided that the step into 9mm was acceptable considering I would have 3 times the amount of shots compared to most of the 45's I could realistically conceal carry. I know there are plenty of high-capacity 40's and 45's out there, but most that I've looked at are out of my price range and/or too heavy/large for me to conceal.

I've also seen that shooting 9mm is a little cheaper than .40/.45, which is a plus because I love to shoot and could easily see myself shooting 200-400 rounds every weekend or so.

Finally, there was a guy at the range last weekend with the exact gun I'm thinking of, in 9mm, and he also had a Glock 17. I watched him shoot clip after clip through the M&P while the 17 sat there looking lonely. He said that he was a Glock lover through and through, but he just couldnt put down the M&P!

So there you have it. Thoughts? Advice? Reviews?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links