The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice?

This is a discussion on The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having recently been awarded my Conceal Carry license, I've been enthusiastically researching my first pistol purchase, and I think I've decided on the Smith & ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first Conceal Carry weapon: thoughts, advice?

Having recently been awarded my Conceal Carry license, I've been enthusiastically researching my first pistol purchase, and I think I've decided on the Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm. Here are some of my reasons; I'd like to know what other more experienced folks here think and would especially like to hear from M&P owners.

Price: around $500 is all I can afford right now, and I think its far better to have a $500 weapon than to wait another 4 months or so with no weapon.

I know a lot of people swear by the Glock 17, and I respect their opinion, but I just never felt all that comfortable shooting it. I have always known I wanted a polymer pistol, but Glock would be settling for something I dont love. The M&P comes with 3 different sized grips which I think is extremely attractive as someone who has bigger hands and thin fingers. And at 26oz. it is nice and light.

I havent been shooting for a long time, only regularly for about a year now, but I have been very partial to .40 and .45 ACP since I started. I have shot 9mm more than once and found it to be considerably easier to shoot than the .40 or .45, but that lack of power had worried me. When I came across the M&P and saw that it could carry 17+1, I decided that the step into 9mm was acceptable considering I would have 3 times the amount of shots compared to most of the 45's I could realistically conceal carry. I know there are plenty of high-capacity 40's and 45's out there, but most that I've looked at are out of my price range and/or too heavy/large for me to conceal.

I've also seen that shooting 9mm is a little cheaper than .40/.45, which is a plus because I love to shoot and could easily see myself shooting 200-400 rounds every weekend or so.

Finally, there was a guy at the range last weekend with the exact gun I'm thinking of, in 9mm, and he also had a Glock 17. I watched him shoot clip after clip through the M&P while the 17 sat there looking lonely. He said that he was a Glock lover through and through, but he just couldnt put down the M&P!

So there you have it. Thoughts? Advice? Reviews?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I owned the MP9 full frame and LOVED IT. It wasn't carriable for me though...i'm a smaller guy, only about 5'7 and 160lbs. It printed badly on my unless I carried it appendix style. I traded it in for something a bit smaller.

It's a fantastic gun though. Put over 500 rds through it, not one FTE or FTF. Easy to disassemble and reassemble too. I think you'll love it
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

The M&Ps are real nice guns. I have the 9C and it is ideal for CC. A sweet shooter, accurate w/12+1 rounds & very concealable. It is smaller than the G19. Not so sure about the service size M&P though for CC. Consider your hot summers in NC and you might want to rethink which model for everyday carry.

I just bought my daughter a M&P 9C,the compact is easier to conceal and still has a 12 round magazine,if you want you can carry a full size mag for backup
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Do it! You won't regret it...

Senior Moderator
    I think that the M&P is an exellent choice. It if feels good in the hand, you can shoot it well and you can conceal it, that is all that matters.

Dont get hung up on the fact that its "only" a 9mm. The 9mm with good ammo is just as deadly as the .40 or .45. The modern ammo has really narrowed the gap on performance of the different calibers, todays 9mm stuff isnt even in the same league that the original ball 9mm was in , it is much more effective.

When you get it,shoot it and practice,practice and then practice some more. It's have a fine gun and it will serve you well.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

For about the same $$, you might take a look at the Glock-26...easier to conceal.

Stay armed...choose your own weapon...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Buy the compact for CCW.You will LOVE it!!

My 9C is equally as reliable as the Glocks in the household.

The gun is just a joy to shoot!

My EDC is the M&P 40c, the wife carries the 9c. Excellent choice of weapon. I would recommend that you go with the compact for CC, the full size in summer garb will be tough to conceal.
    S&W is still offering the $50 rebate or 2 free mags, they are known for good customer service.
    You can't go wrong with the M&P, I would recommend them any day.
    Welcome to the forum!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

As others have posted the compact is a better choice for CCW.

I have the M&P 9 full size and it's a keeper!

Wow, all of these replies really are awesome and helpful! Thank you! I am going to seriously reconsider going with the compact based on the fact that it is warm here most of the year and I'm a hot blooded guy to begin with. Is the compact small enough to carry in a pocket? Like for example a side pocket on a pair of cargo pants?

Also, I saw a guy at my local gunshop who had this type of clip that attaches to the back of the pistol (on the slide I think) that allows you to carry it inside of your pantline, without a holster. That is something I definitely want to have as an option to a traditional holster - does anyone know if they make them for the M&P? And what they are called?

Again, awesome thread! Thanks especially to clarkston for the pictures!!! That is a gorgeous pistol my friend!

who had this type of clip that attaches to the back of the pistol (on the slide I think) that allows you to carry it inside of your pantline, without a holster
    NO very dangerous without a holster covering the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    NO very dangerous without a holster covering the trigger!
    really? that does make sense. kind of surprised to hear tho.

i am 6'5" and 230 - most of the time i wear jeans and a collared shirt untucked - what kind of holster will suit me best for conceal?

Quote Originally Posted by vicioustruth View Post
    really? that does make sense. kind of surprised to hear tho.

i am 6'5" and 230 - most of the time i wear jeans and a collared shirt untucked - what kind of holster will suit me best for conceal?
    I'm sure you have heard about Plaxico Burress shooting himself while carrying an unholstered pistol in the waistband of his sweatpants while at a strip club

Check out the MTAC holster. There are a lot of good IWB holsters out there for the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I
    Check out the MTAC holster. There are a lot of good IWB holsters out there for the M&P.
    That is it! that is the holster for me right there!! Thanks a million!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links