Commander size 1911

Commander size 1911

This is a discussion on Commander size 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a Commander size 1911 in 9mm for my wife She has a full size 1911 Colt in .45 which she shoots very ...

Commander size 1911

I'm looking for a Commander size 1911 in 9mm for my wife She has a full size 1911 Colt in .45 which she shoots very well but it's a little big to conceal and she's developed arthritis in her hands which makes the recoil a bit too much. Looking at the Kimbers..would like other recommendations. Thanks
    Last edited by JD; December 12th, 2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Adeded emphasis of wanted configuration...

Para makes a few also.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    S&W makes a scandium frame Commander sized 1911... I have two of them. Light and reliable too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A smaller, lighter gun in the same caliber is only going to make recoil worse. She may want to consider going to a smaller caliber and a polymer frame or a steel framed .38 revolver to cut down on recoil. My mother has arthritis in her hands and likes the SIG P239 in 9mm.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

RwP

small frame

Take a look at the Springfield EMP, I just picked one up and was amazed.
    Also the Aegis Kimber is very nice.

RwP

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
    I'm looking for a Commander size 1911 in 9mm for my wife She has a full size 1911 Colt in .45 which she shoots very well but it's a little big to conceal and she's developed arthritis in her hands which makes the recoil a bit too much. Looking at the Kimbers..would like other recommendations. Thanks
    I think a few members missed the part in bold...

The Para LTC comes in 9mm, that's a Commander Sized 9mm, Kimber also has the Aegis II line which has a Pro (4" model) in 9mm, as well as the Tactical II line, which also has a pro in 9mm.

The EMP mentioned above is a great 9mm, but is of the 3" design (although Springfield did redesign the gun) if a Commander sized gun can't be found, the EMP would be my first pick of 3" 9mm 1911s.

Barring the 1911s from the group, I would also suggest something along the lines of a Kahr K9

STI makes the Ranger ll which should fit the bill. I really like my 9mm Trojan (5"). The Ranger ll uses a dual spring recoil system (Recoilmaster) that some say does help tame recoil a bit. This system can be "switched out" for a conventional guide rod/spring set-up.

I have a bit of arthritis in my hands. My 5" Trojan (single spring recoil system) is lightyears easier to rack the slideon than my 45 Springfield 1911's. I've never racked the slide on a Ranger ll, though.

Cloudpeak

another vote for EMP is great, rent it try it.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Senior Moderator
    I vote for the Para LTC if you can find one
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Commander size is 4.25 inch barrel. Lots of suggestions for shorter models here. If going that route, and cost is not an object, I'd suggest Wlson Combat in 4 inch. Available in either Officers or Government (Commander) grip size, your choice of steel or aluminum.

Going back to basics, you've had good luck with the Colt 1911. Commander size? Sort of surprised no one has suggested the obvious. Commander (either light weight or Combat steel). Hard to argue with the pony....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Anymore it seems like it's acceptable to call a 4" a "Commander".

FWIW, the 4" guns don't seem to have some of the troubles that plague 3.5" and smaller guns, but I still prefer the 4.25".

To the best of my knowledge, the only production 4.25" 9mm. is from Para, although it would certainly be possible to have a .45 converted, or to have one built.

Nighthawk has a model called the Ladyhawk which is a Commander sized 9mm designed specifically for the fairer sex. It's pretty spendy, but quite impressive.

You ought to look at Fusion Firearms - have them give you a quote on a custom build up of just exactly what she wants. They tend to end up priced like an upper end factory gun for a completely bespoke pistol.

Joe

Links