Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog

This is a discussion on Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed a discussion on the holster page about this gun. I like the idea of that much gun for the price, but my favorite ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog

I noticed a discussion on the holster page about this gun. I like the idea of that much gun for the price, but my favorite gun store guy absolutely SLAMMED Charter Arms quality. I understand that you get what you pay for, and I don't expect the fit and finish of a higher priced weapon, but is this gun a safe, reliable weapon? Love that price....
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I personally think they are a nice gun. I did have to send the .44spl pug back in for repair - but it was an older gun. They repaired it and sent it back at no charge. Nice shooting little gun. I would get another if the price were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I noticed a discussion on the holster page about this gun. I like the idea of that much gun for the price, but my favorite gun store guy absolutely SLAMMED Charter Arms quality. I understand that you get what you pay for, and I don't expect the fit and finish of a higher priced weapon, but is this gun a safe, reliable weapon? Love that price....
    I own one, and love it. The one I have now is my second one. The first one was stolen form my truck. The old one was SA/DA, and very accurate with Winchester Silver Tips, I could hit a pony bottle at 35 steps with every shot in SA. The new gun is a hammerless DA only, and of course, is no where near as accurate as the old one. Still, at 15', I can fire five rapid shots, and still cover the group with my hand. A target pistol it is not. But it will do the job that it was designed to do, and the .44 cal. ammo will do a real nasty job on the human body. I would suggest that if you decide to purchase one, that you shoot as many different types of ammo as you can through it. You will find that your gun will have a definite liking for one particular brand. The gun I now own shoots the CCI Lawman most accurately.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention, you will have a hard time finding a holster for the Bull Dog. I made my own, two in fact.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

I've owned several Charters, including the Bulldog. The older models (From Stratford Conn) were decent pistols. Weren't designed to be shot as range gun necessarily, but reliable revolvers in the carry lots category. Those made during the Charco Arms era had many QC issues, but the newer Charter 2000 seem to be back on track and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price were right.

I like mine, here's a little write up I posted on another web site:

I picked up this Bulldog .44spl at a local gun shop for $165 a few years ago. It looked like it had been stuck in a leather holster and left there. There was some fine pitting on the barrel and a little rust in a few other spots, I assume from moisture in the holster, but the bore was clean and shiny and it locked up tight so I bought it. I cleaned it up and shot it and it worked fine and was accurate enough so I've kept it around, mostly as a truck gun. I did send it back to Charter Arms to have them make sure everything was in good shape. I also asked if they could install a bobbed hammer and and cut the grip frame down to fit the short boot grips that come on their OffDuty .38. Well, they did what I asked and gave it a clean bill of health but the job on the grip frame was very rough, as though whoever did the work just eye balled it and then took a grinder to the gun! It was functional and they didn't charge me so I didn't complain but I wasn't pleased with the job and left it the way it was until a couple of months ago. I'd heard about a gunsmith near me that does custom work and I thought that the Bulldog would be the perfect guinea pig to try them out on before letting them work on my more expensive guns.

Anyway, I took the gun to them (Dietrich Gunsmithy in Otis, ME) and asked them to clean up the grip frame as best they could, smooth some sharp edges around the trigger guard, smooth and polish the trigger and polish the hammer, shave the front sight and install a fiber optic, bead blast the whole thing, and do an action job. I got it back about 6 weeks later and they did a terrific job. It is a completely different gun and looks better than new! The fiber optic sight is nicely dovetailed in place, the grip frame looks like the gun was made that way to begin with, and the action is much improved - the SA pull is clean and crisp with no grittiness or creep and the DA pull is a couple of pounds lighter than it was and much smoother. The entire job was just under $200 so now I'm into the gun for just $400 total (including the $35 to ship it to C.A.) and I couldn't be happier with it. It shoots great and is easier to carry and conceal with the smaller grip.
    Here's some pics:

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Charter 2000 has given way, they are now again called Charter Arms. Mine is of this era, purchased new late last year (it was fresh stock I"m sure). It is a REALLY nicely done pistol, even without the "for the money" caveat most will add in. Mine does have the hammer, and I've fired it both SA and DA. Good either way. I had some hollow point commercial reloads. No problems. Had some Speer Gold Dots. My choice of carry load. Don't know about the Silver Tips, I have some to try. But I don't trust that loading for carry anyway....

The Bulldog is IMNSHO, one of the best buys in a true defensive carry gun today. Even though they've gone up a bit since I bought mine, I'd buy it again if I didn't have it. It is generally in my jacket pocket when I leave the house and it's cool enough for an MA-1.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Don't get me started. I am a self proclaimed Charter nut. I carried this gun stuffed down my shorts all last summer. Mine has been nothing but 100%. It is almost a necessary to roll your own if you are going to shoot quite a bit of .44 Special. The cheapest that I had found before I started reloading was about $25 per box.

As far as holsters go, I would highly recommend taking a look at Simply Rugged Holsters. He owns and carries a few Charter .44 Specials himself.

I had them (Magnaport) mini bob and polish the hammer, mill off the stock sight and replace with a XS tritium big dot, and jewel and polish the trigger.

My current Charter count is up to 4, and I just got my Off Duty and .327 Mag back from Magnaport. Will post some pics later.

WC145,

I hope they didn't charge you to "cut the grip frame down to fit the short boot grips that come on their OffDuty .38". Both my stock .44's can carry the smaller boot grips that came with my Off Duty.

Either way, it sure looks purty.

I've got a Charter 2000 bulldog pug 44spl. I've only shot silvertips and speer gold dots through it but so far after 7 months or so, I've not had a single hic-up. As for the holsters, give Kevin at K&D a call. It takes a while but you'll be well pleased. I had to shave a little of the front sight off with a dremmel tool as it was shooting a little low out of the box. A dab of bright orange paint when I was done and it's gtg. It's a great big 44 caliber bang for the buck. Good luck.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

shame that ammo for it is scarce and pricey.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    WC145,

I hope they didn't charge you to "cut the grip frame down to fit the short boot grips that come on their OffDuty .38". Both my stock .44's can carry the smaller boot grips that came with my Off Duty.

Either way, it sure looks purty.
    Charter Arms didn't charge me but they didn't question my request and they did mill the frame (and did a terrible job of it) and send it back to me with the small grips, so there must have been some size difference. Can you post a pic of your off-duty and your bulldog without grips on them? Is there any difference in the frame size?

BTW, the jeweled hammer and trigger on yours looks great!

Always wanted to get one of those, nice pictures, guys!!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

No difference in frame size (grip), at least on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention, you will have a hard time finding a holster for the Bull Dog. I made my own, two in fact.
    Kramer Leather makes them - and very nicely I might add.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links