My "Polymer Devil" XDM9, 215 Trouble Free Rounds Today...

This is a discussion on My "Polymer Devil" XDM9, 215 Trouble Free Rounds Today... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I picked up a Springfield XDM9 last week and was finally able to wring it out a bit today with Chooie's help. 200 rounds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    JD [OP]
    Administrator

So I picked up a Springfield XDM9 last week and was finally able to wring it out a bit today with Chooie's help.

200 rounds of WWB, and 15 rounds of Federal HST 124+P and I have to say I'm very happy with the gun, it points fabulously well and I'm shocked to say that my point shooting was better than sighted fire.

The gun recoils much better than I expected, even with the +P loads, I honestly couldn't feel the difference like I can when shooting other guns of equal caliber.

I think the rear sight notch could be a little wider, but I'm not going to sweat on it as they are probably going to be replaced with either Heinie or XS sights in the future. The front sight appeared nice and crisp, I don't know how much of this is from the serrated rear sight, but there was a clear difference between the two surfaces with proper sight alignment/picture. Also, while the original XD manual calls for a 6 o'clock hold, the "M" calls for center of target=impact and I found this to be the case, other's results may vary.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the "Mega-lock Texture" Hey, I didn't name the stuff... but it does make for a good grip.

I was shooting with the medium back strap (I tried to put the small one in, but after 45 minutes of pounding with hammer and punch I couldn't get the roll pin out, and YES I did read the manual to see if I was doing it right) and it felt fine, my "sighted" fire was a little low and left which is a me issue while my point shooting shots were pretty much dead on.

I didn't bother with measuring group sizes as quite frankly my groups were pure ass, but I haven't shot in months and the trigger does take some getting used to. Regarding the trigger, I found it to be OK for not being a 1911 and I did short-stroke the trigger on one occasion during rapid fire, again this is a me issue.

Overall I'm VERY, VERY happy with this gun, a few 100 rounds more and a holster or two and this will probably find it's way into the primary carry role.

What I really liked was loading 8 cartridges and seeing 11 empty witness holes waiting to show cases.

And yes, I know....

But I will fix that later this evening.

Senior Moderator

What the heck!?

An article like that with no PICS?! There oughta be a law against that...

Hurry up already!
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

No way, a new baby boy and a polymeyer pistol all within a month.

JD is going soft on us. So much for the tough guy routine.

Hey up until a couple of years ago, I didn't think that any of those plastic guns would find their way into my arsenal either. Now there are 4.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I hate plastic guns too.
    I only have 4.
    No, 5.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Yeah, they really suck. (PT145, P3AT, P11)

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Man, you guys are brutal...

A newborn, family in and out of town, job interviews in different states, still working 40+ a week, make dinner, change diapers, still finding time to help moderate the forum (yes, my lap top is on the counter while I'm making pasta...)

And you expect pics at the time of posting...

Tough crowd....

Just kidding I know it's all in good fun.

Congrats on the XDm9! You've been pretty lucky lately.

I'm too confused over the fact that you may consider the XDm over the P7 or a 1911 for primary carry to really flame you for not posting pictures.

So I picked up a Springfield XDM9 last week..........
    It is what it is. There's nothing like the fit, feel, and function of a new pistol to fit in to your repertoire. No matter what it is. You're one up on the game!

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Congrats on the XDm9! You've been pretty lucky lately.

I'm too confused over the fact that you may consider the XDm over the P7 or a 1911 for primary carry to really flame you for not posting pictures.
    The P7 is a fine piece, but it's still limited capacity at 8+1 of 9mm, it's still a joy to carry, but I'm looking for maximum ammunition on tap this go around, the XDM beats all (without an extended mag) but the FN Five-seven, like I said, there was just something nice about loading 8 cartridges and have room for 11 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    It is what it is. There's nothing like the fit, feel, and function of a new pistol to fit in to your repertoire. No matter what it is. You're one up on the game!

And now that the wife is done running me around town, I will add some pics shortly.

No need for pics, bro, I know what the XDM looks like (beautiful). Hadn't had a range report which was great. Thanks for briefing. I too like the grip texture.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I was very pleased by this range outing! The XDm shoots wonderfully. I just need to get my own now and send several hundred more rounds downrange to change my muscle memory from the XD40's recoil. On slow fire, I made a 2" ragged hole at 7-10 yds, but I was a bit low on rapid fire (anticipating recoil because I'm used to .40). Oddly, point shooting was spot on - literally. From a high ready, come up and put one shot on target - right through the very center of the number of the spot in which I was aiming on a 6 spot target. Don't worry folks, when I get my new XDm-9 I'll post pictures and groups.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    OK, OK, here's the required pic...

Senior Moderator
    much better...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    I'm glad you like the XD JD

I know what you mean about carying around all the ammo you can. When I die I don't want it to be from "Lack of shooting back"
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD,

As a long time reader (and seldom poster) of yours, first let me congratulate you on the little one (named after Anderson of the Angel's outfield?). I like baseball. You seem to have fell for the old, "Luke, I'm your father", trick. Please come back to the Republic , er, or, steel. I think I hear a 10mm Gold Cup calling your name...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links