Help me choose a 9mm CCW for wife

This is a discussion on Help me choose a 9mm CCW for wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a CCW for the wifey which I can also carry from time to time. I have a G21SF and a G30SF ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a 9mm CCW for wife

Help me choose a 9mm CCW for wife

I am looking for a CCW for the wifey which I can also carry from time to time.
    I have a G21SF and a G30SF and carry the 30SF daily. Sometimes it is too thick for certain ocassions and a smaller gun would help in these situations.
    However, the primary focus is to give my wife a couple of options for her to choose. So far, we have looked at:
    a) Walther PPS, mi wife likes it but I have read several posts of problems with it. It seems it needs to be clean to be reliable.
    b) Glock 26, she didn't like it so much (I loved it)
    c) S&W snubby w/ Crimson Trace, she liked it too

The thing with wheelguns is that they do not lend themselves for a lot of practice in the range. I think it is important for her to become proficient with the weapon in order to be effective.

Suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    You could always go with the SigSauer P239 instead of the PPS. I have heard nothing but good reviews of them.

You might also try the G19 instead of the 26. It's what my friend's wife carries and the extra snap in recoil or lack of a good grip from the smaller frame might be her issue there as well.

Kahr arms PM9 or CW9
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Butt out and let your wife pick the gun she wants.

If it's primarily for her, let her get one she will be happy with. You already have one for CCW. If you need another one, get that after you get the wife what she wants.

That's my $0.02.

Biker

Administrator
    Let it be her gun. Let her choose it. I'm not a huge fan of sharing guns, unless you have to.

How experianced is the wife? If not very, I'd stay away from the micro's. The 239 would be an excellent choice, as would a K9.
    Why doesnt a snub allow range time??
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with Sixto's advice to stay away from the runt guns. Most likely she can shoot something a bit larger more effectively.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I'm getting a revolver for my wife... she has shot my autos and she doesn't rack the slide with a lot of grace... under stress, I'm certain she would do better with a revolver. We're going to a range nearby to rent a couple of wheelguns for a test drive...

I agree with Biker and Sixto... she has to like it.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Haven't had any problems with my PPS yet, so far a great gun.

My wife used our Kahr CW9 for her class recently and she liked it if that means anything. She is fairly small and I was curious to see what she'd think of the recoil on a smaller framed polymer semi like the Kahr but it didn't seem to bother her. She didn't seem to like any of the double stacks. I have close to 800 rounds through the Kahr without a single issue, another great gun.

But I agree with the above, let her hold/shoot a bunch. Just wanted to share my experience with the Kahr and Walther in case your wife decides to the go the single stack 9mm route.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Butt out and let your wife pick the gun she wants.

If it's primarily for her, let her get one she will be happy with. You already have one for CCW. If you need another one, get that after you get the wife what she wants.

That's my $0.02.

Biker
    best answer yet....keeps you outta the doghouse.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Any problems with the PPS should be out of the works now. I have a First Edition model with no problems. All the females that have shot it like it. Plus, you can't go wrong with a Walther.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

My wife has a revolver because that is what she had in the past. She asked one time to fire some rounds through my Glock 19 and has been trying to snag it from me ever since.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

buy the 26 and have her take a class with it, if she still doesn't like it, then get something else.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

This is just an opinion. No one chose your CCW for you and then handed it to you. You went and chose the weapon that shot and felt comfortable in your hand firing. She deserves the same chance. I took my wife to find her future CCW and all I did was steer her away from some of the trash out there. Just meet this criteria. .380 or bigger. She can operate. Shoots every time she pulls the trigger and the most important! Must be pretty when she is shooting their A** off. Her words not mine. She ended up with a SW9VE. She likes the heavy trigger pull . No flaming, 2000rds and no FTF. She enjoyed her trip to the gun shop so much she bought me a new M&P 40.

I tried to pick a gun for my wife, and that didn't work.
    I picked up a lightweight snubbie...big mistake.

I still haven't learned though.....I bought her a Glock-26 (she doesn't know it's for her) and we take it with us to the range...I want her to decide it's 'the one'. If not, I'd be glad to make it a back up in my collections. I win either way.

Stay armed...never pick out a gun for the wife...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife has a KelTec P11 and really likes it. Some complain about the trigger but she doesnt have a problem with it. She really wants a Taurus 24/7 though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links