Need the DC experts advice - Page 2

Need the DC experts advice

This is a discussion on Need the DC experts advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "1911 was about a hundred years ago, after all..." And the problem with this is...?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Need the DC experts advice

  1. #16
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,503
    "1911 was about a hundred years ago, after all..."

    And the problem with this is...?


  2. #17
    Lead Moderator
    Array rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    16,224
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Sixto, do they make them in a compact model?
    The SA Champion is a 4" barreled 1911. SA does make a 3" version of the 1911 as well. I own the Lightweight version of the Champion and really like it. the recoil is not bad at all out of this gun and it is accurate.
    I find the 4" size perfect for me. Small enough to conceal, yet big enough to ride better than a 3" . It takes a full size mag and provides a full grip.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson


    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

  3. #18
    Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Metropolitan Detroit
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I'd forget about the Colt 1911 or anything like it as a carry weapon. 1911 was about a hundred years ago, after all, and those big, klunky single action things that you have to consult a trajectory table to shoot accurately just aren't as effective for normal humans to use. I suggest you take a look at the Kahr K9. You can get them in heavier bullet calibers, but like Frank Zappa said, "anything over a mouthful is wasted", and you're more likely to shoot accurately with a 9mm. You did ask about "defensive" carry, right, not offensive/ military/ tactical/ police? If you're executing search warrants at 2 am, maybe you need a .40 or .45, but for defensive use, you need something with manageable recoil that you can shoot comfortably and accurately that will do the job.


    Okay, seriously. Were you just trying to see how many times you could get quoted, to get a rise out of as many as possible? Hmm.... rather trollish. And a disservice to the OP.

    To the OP, the 1911 is a fine platform, it enjoys a HUGE following, in fact it is more popular than ever.

    First thing to do is determine a price range. We can be much more help once we know how much you want to spend.

    I'd suggest budgeting at least $600 to $1000 for something with more than basic features, and of at least moderate quality. There are certainly budget pistols out there for less, and some get good results with them. But if you want something truly quality made, from a company that stands behind their product and takes care of their customers, my numbers are a good starting place.

    A lot of choices out there. Smith an Wesson and Sig Sauer are making some that are very popular, and Dan Wesson is another. Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty. They even cover shipping both ways (unlike Taurus, one of the lower priced options). If you want to budget less, I suggest going with a Springfield Armory Mil Spec (NOT the GI model, a Mil Spec). This will get you a good quality base firearm that you can modify later as you wish with any number of custom upgrades, right up to sending it to a top 'Smith for a full on custom.

    And for the record, examples of the Wilson Combat and Ed Brown models RetSupt99 mentioned can be closer to two grand than three. Then again, used models of these in good shape are under two thousand, and are some of the best pistols you will ever get your hands on.

    The choices are endless. One thing I will suggest, is stay with a barrel length of at least 4 inches. The classic Government model is 5 inch, the Combat Commander is 4.25 inch, many makers do make 3.5 or even 3 inch, but the shorter models present more troubles in many cases than the trade off in length warrants. Btw, the barrel length itself is not such an issue for concealment with a good IWB holster.

    Best of luck, do lots of research, shoot a few if you get the chance, and come back with more specifics as you determine some of your criteria for the pistol.
    Regards, T Bone.


    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

  4. #19
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,511
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post


    Okay, seriously. Were you just trying to see how many times you could get quoted, to get a rise out of as many as possible? Hmm.... rather trollish. And a disservice to the OP.

    To the OP, the 1911 is a fine platform, it enjoys a HUGE following, in fact it is more popular than ever.

    First thing to do is determine a price range. We can be much more help once we know how much you want to spend.

    I'd suggest budgeting at least $600 to $1000 for something with more than basic features, and of at least moderate quality. There are certainly budget pistols out there for less, and some get good results with them. But if you want something truly quality made, from a company that stands behind their product and takes care of their customers, my numbers are a good starting place.

    A lot of choices out there. Smith an Wesson and Sig Sauer are making some that are very popular, and Dan Wesson is another. Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty. They even cover shipping both ways (unlike Taurus, one of the lower priced options). If you want to budget less, I suggest going with a Springfield Armory Mil Spec (NOT the GI model, a Mil Spec). This will get you a good quality base firearm that you can modify later as you wish with any number of custom upgrades, right up to sending it to a top 'Smith for a full on custom.

    And for the record, examples of the Wilson Combat and Ed Brown models RetSupt99 mentioned can be closer to two grand than three. Then again, used models of these in good shape are under two thousand, and are some of the best pistols you will ever get your hands on.

    The choices are endless. One thing I will suggest, is stay with a barrel length of at least 4 inches. The classic Government model is 5 inch, the Combat Commander is 4.25 inch, many makers do make 3.5 or even 3 inch, but the shorter models present more troubles in many cases than the trade off in length warrants. Btw, the barrel length itself is not such an issue for concealment with a good IWB holster.

    Best of luck, do lots of research, shoot a few if you get the chance, and come back with more specifics as you determine some of your criteria for the pistol.
    Go to each site...add in any special features, and desired coatings and tax...I'll buy any one you can get new for 2K
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    HotGuns pointed me to JD's blog and I read it, very good read and full of good info. I liked the Springfield EMP but after reading the blog do not want to go with the 3'' barrel. The Springfield (Operator) looks very interesting to me also and I like the Para (Big Dawg). I would like to go with a min 4'' barrel at this time but I am starting to lean towards a longer one.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  6. #21
    Member Array rogerh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I'd forget about the Colt 1911 or anything like it as a carry weapon. 1911 was about a hundred years ago, after all, and those big, klunky single action things that you have to consult a trajectory table to shoot accurately just aren't as effective for normal humans to use. I suggest you take a look at the Kahr K9. You can get them in heavier bullet calibers, but like Frank Zappa said, "anything over a mouthful is wasted", and you're more likely to shoot accurately with a 9mm. You did ask about "defensive" carry, right, not offensive/ military/ tactical/ police? If you're executing search warrants at 2 am, maybe you need a .40 or .45, but for defensive use, you need something with manageable recoil that you can shoot comfortably and accurately that will do the job.

    Been reading gun magazines again huh??

  7. #22
    Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I'd forget about the Colt 1911 or anything like it as a carry weapon. 1911 was about a hundred years ago, after all, and those big, klunky single action things that you have to consult a trajectory table to shoot accurately just aren't as effective for normal humans to use. I suggest you take a look at the Kahr K9. You can get them in heavier bullet calibers, but like Frank Zappa said, "anything over a mouthful is wasted", and you're more likely to shoot accurately with a 9mm. You did ask about "defensive" carry, right, not offensive/ military/ tactical/ police? If you're executing search warrants at 2 am, maybe you need a .40 or .45, but for defensive use, you need something with manageable recoil that you can shoot comfortably and accurately that will do the job.
    I'm not gonna touch that one

    I've been carrying 1911's for a long time, it's definitely a well respected dependable platform and todays 1911's are extremely accurate. My EDC is a Kimber UCII. I absolutely love how it carries and how well it shoots. The officer and commander sizes are very easy to conceal, they are one of the thinnest handguns you can buy. The 1911 was designed to be carried in condition 1 and I wouldnt carry it any other way. Pricing usually starts at about $700 and will go as high as thousands depending on manufacturer or custom build.

    I recommend Kimber but thats just my preference.

    I cant wait to read AZHusker's response to this thread.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

  8. #23
    Member Array pfcslr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    145

    I just got adopted last Saturday

    While killing time at my favorite shop a Lightweight Colt Commander claimed part of my Christmas bonus! The short crisp trigger and extras that come standard ate right through my reservations about the 1911 platform. From what I have seen 1911's are like talking religion in public; everyone has their flavor and if given a chance will wear you out telling you why all of the others are wrong to varying degrees. I would suggest you monky finger every single one that catches your eye and keep the one that won't get out of your hand. And then turn right around and contact your favorite holster maker to arrange living quarters for your newest family member!

    By the way JD and Lima I spent the entire night before my purchase reviewing ya'lls videos and articles both here and on youtube, thanks for all of your efforts.




    Searn

  9. #24
    Member Array Hubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johns Island, SC
    Posts
    261
    For me, as a small-framed man, I would go with SA Micro(.45), SA EMP(9 mm), the Colt Defender, or the Colt New Agent. I currently carry a SA XD-45 and have found that it is too large(for me) as a CC weapon but otherwise a great gun. My next gun will be one of the above in .45 caliber only: most likely the New Agent. The New Agent shoots very well with a great trigger and very good balance.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

  10. #25
    Member Array 7mm Gumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    183
    I am no expert. However I do know that you need to carry the biggest sidearm that you can shoot well and still conceal.

    For me and many like me that is a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array pogo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    3,150

    Kimber Pro CDP

    If you want a 4 inch barrel 1911 that is set up for concealed carry, I'd recommend a Kimber Pro CDP model, which has a carry melt job from the factory and night sights. If you install thin grip panels it makes a very thin and concealable gun with 8+1 capacity in .45. The thickness of the gun ranges from 0.90 inches across the slide to about 1.05 inches across the grip panels. With aluminum frame it weighs about 28 ounces empty, which is perfect for all day carry.



    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

  12. #27
    Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I'd forget about the Colt 1911 or anything like it as a carry weapon. 1911 was about a hundred years ago, after all, and those big, klunky single action things that you have to consult a trajectory table to shoot accurately just aren't as effective for normal humans to use. I suggest you take a look at the Kahr K9. You can get them in heavier bullet calibers, but like Frank Zappa said, "anything over a mouthful is wasted", and you're more likely to shoot accurately with a 9mm. You did ask about "defensive" carry, right, not offensive/ military/ tactical/ police? If you're executing search warrants at 2 am, maybe you need a .40 or .45, but for defensive use, you need something with manageable recoil that you can shoot comfortably and accurately that will do the job.
    As someone with a 1911 as an EDC, thanks. I needed the laugh this morning...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

    The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

  13. #28
    VIP Member
    Array ppkheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,211
    About 30+ years ago, I was carrying a full-sized C&L Colt 1911 on duty, when everyone else was carrying .38 revolvers. I was trusting my life with a gun platform that was designed a hundred years ago, and I often CC a Colt Defender today.

    As so many others have stated, the choices out there are mind-boggling. Read, shop around, and try out as many as possible and find the one that fits you. In fact it may wind up not being a 1911, and that's certainly okay.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

  14. #29
    Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Metropolitan Detroit
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Go to each site...add in any special features, and desired coatings and tax...I'll buy any one you can get new for 2K
    Think I said "closer to 2K", but a few examples...



    This one now lists at $2350, but I got it on GunBroker a little over a year ago for under $2100. My FFL's that I use charge me $15 and $20 depending on which one I use (no sales tax, they are charging for the service of performing a transfer). It has Wilson's Armor Tuff coating. Just had a look on GunBroker. Same place I got this has one for just over $2100. Also found a few around $2200, and some very nice used examples from $1600 to just under 2K.


    The next one I want to buy is an Ed Brown Executive Elite. Lists at $2395. But I want blue, you are specifying their coating. One of their most popular models right now is the Special Forces, comes in Gen III Coating list at $2195. Saw a thread this week on "another board's" 1911 Forum- (think of your favorite black rifle, and add a dot-com after it's designation) where a guy bought a pristine Kobra Karry (stainless, no coating) for well under 2K. Another guy responded he'd bought a new one for around $1700 (must have been old stock, but it's a beauty!).

    But I digress, most folk will get by just fine with a Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, S&W, Sig, Dan Wesson, etal.... like we've already said above, the choices are nearly endless!
    Last edited by T Bone; December 14th, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.


    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

  15. #30
    Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    746
    If money were no object in this search.....I agree with some....get the Ed Brown, etc........1911 styles are a tried and true option....however.....there are no "magic guns" out there......give some of the other styles a try.....search the reliability reports, how easy they are to handle and take apart and clean.....you may end up with a Glock.......
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Any HK experts that can splain this???
    By imthduke in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
  2. Queston for you Sig Experts
    By Bender in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: February 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
  3. Calling CSI-Experts
    By Jamie Young in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: July 5th, 2007, 02:50 AM
  4. Even the gun experts have bad luck
    By XD in SC in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: December 9th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Search tags for this page

kahr k9 elite

Click on a term to search for related topics.