Need the DC experts advice

This is a discussion on Need the DC experts advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read so much here about 1911's that I am really interested now in making that my next purchase. I am not sure just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need the DC experts advice

Need the DC experts advice

I have read so much here about 1911's that I am really interested now in making that my next purchase. I am not sure just what to look for or what one to get. I intend to use it for concealed carry but not all the time, as I use my PT140 and LCP now. Unless I can carry OWB I like to carry a smaller frame gun. As a side note, unless my wife approves of this as my Christmas gift I will be hording money for a while to save up for one. Could you give me an idea of costs. Also could you call my wife and tell her what I want for Christmas?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I'd forget about the Colt 1911 or anything like it as a carry weapon. 1911 was about a hundred years ago, after all, and those big, klunky single action things that you have to consult a trajectory table to shoot accurately just aren't as effective for normal humans to use. I suggest you take a look at the Kahr K9. You can get them in heavier bullet calibers, but like Frank Zappa said, "anything over a mouthful is wasted", and you're more likely to shoot accurately with a 9mm. You did ask about "defensive" carry, right, not offensive/ military/ tactical/ police? If you're executing search warrants at 2 am, maybe you need a .40 or .45, but for defensive use, you need something with manageable recoil that you can shoot comfortably and accurately that will do the job.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I'd forget about the Colt 1911 or anything like it as a carry weapon. 1911 was about a hundred years ago, after all, and those big, klunky single action things that you have to consult a trajectory table to shoot accurately just aren't as effective for normal humans to use. I suggest you take a look at the Kahr K9. You can get them in heavier bullet calibers, but like Frank Zappa said, "anything over a mouthful is wasted", and you're more likely to shoot accurately with a 9mm. You did ask about "defensive" carry, right, not offensive/ military/ tactical/ police? If you're executing search warrants at 2 am, maybe you need a .40 or .45, but for defensive use, you need something with manageable recoil that you can shoot comfortably and accurately that will do the job.
    Evidently you have not looked into the newer 1911's. In many instances resemblance is the only thing they have in common with the original 1911's. Accuracy has vastly improved. Ballistics for the old .45 ACP round is nothing like the ballistics of new .45 ACP rounds. Size and weight has changed as well, now you have the officer and commander sizes, different material that they are manufactured from, making them lighter and easier to carry. They are also available in .40 S&W as well as 9mm. Even a full size 1911 is not a problem to CC with proper holster/belt choice.

To the OP, if your interested in a reasonably priced 1911, well built, with most of the refinements you paid extra for on custom 1911's, look at the Taurus PT1911, available in blue or SS, with or without night sights. Price ranging from $650.-800. depending on the model you choose.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I am not an expert, But I know what I like!!!!

Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail 926. from buds gun shop

Colt Commander, Kimber compact

There are some amazing choices out there and enough to boggle the mind upon choosing one of them. Using the search box on this forum will give you a million subjects on the gun. I think the best way to utilize this would be to write down the particular manufacturers that interest you, then break it down by doing another search (on this forum and internet search engines of your choice)on those particular makes and models. Then last but not least...try to shoot them to further narrow your choices. Good luck and have fun !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator

I'd look at a pretty simple Springfield steel framed Champion.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

I'd look at a pretty simple Springfield steel framed Champion.
    Bingo ! problem solved !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Oy. So many things wrong here, I hardly know where to begin.

In my experience, .45's, particularly big, klunky, all-steel 1911's, are light recoiling pistols. Their short, crisp single-action triggers (unlike a Kahrs long, heavy, mushy DA trigger--yes, I've had experience with Kahrs--I'd never own one...) tend to contribute greatly to first-shot accuracy, and .45 has a proven track record of being a solid manstopper.

Trajectory table? Seriously? Do you actually believe that a .45 bullet is going to have a serious drop from, say, 3 yards to 25? If so...wow. You may want to learn a bit more before you give others advice...

While I'm comfortable carrying a 9mm--and often do--if there was a .45 P7 avaliable, I'd trade my 9mm P7 for it without a second thought.

To the OP--the Springfield Champion is a great choice. I used to have one, and in a moment of weakness, traded it on. It was my first EDC pistol...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Moderator
    JD, one of our highly esteemed Moderators here wrote an excellent article on this very thing. He wrote a 4 part article in his DC Blog that is a wealth of info on the various makes and things to look for. Click here...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...11-part-1.html

Lots of good info, definatley worth a read that might save you lots of time...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If I had an extra $3,000, I'd look to something from Ed Brown or Wilson...under $1,200 I'd still go with one of my Kimbers.
    If I wanted to use it as my EDC I would keep the Brown or Wilson in the 4.25 barrel length.
    My two Kimbers are both CDP's...the Ultra, my EDC has the 3" barrel, the Compact a 4" barrel.
    My Kimber Ultra makes a perfect CCW...others will swear by other makes and models...I go with what has worked for me.

Stay armed...shop around/enjoy the search...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Seems rather opinionated and incorrect , how do you know what the OP needs, can handle or cannot handle. Also the .45 ACP in a 1911 is a effective cartridge given the user knows how to shoot(as with any firearm).
    Most instructors seem to recommend a caliber starting with .4 . If you cannot handle or shoot the .45ACP caliber , or accurately fire the 1911 too bad. It seems to work just fine for many of us.
    ----------------

My suggestion to the OP would be check out the Taurus , Rock Island , Colt and Springfield 1911's. Depending on price range , there should be a pistol that will suit your needs.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I know a lot of you have them and trust you judgment so an internet search beyond this forum would not convince me as much as your advise. And yes The Dan Wesson 926 is a nice piece.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Don't forget to check out the Para nighthawg, or the Kimbers. (or scads of other great commander sized 1911s out there. Put your hands on as many as possible. Good luck.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Seems rather opinionated and incorrect , how do you know what the OP needs, can handle or cannot handle. Also the .45 ACP in a 1911 is a effective cartridge given the user knows how to shoot(as with any firearm).
    Most instructors seem to recommend a caliber starting with .4 . If you cannot handle or shoot the .45ACP caliber , or accurately fire the 1911 too bad. It seems to work just fine for many of us.
    ----------------

My suggestion to the OP would be check out the Taurus , Rock Island , Colt and Springfield 1911's. Depending on price range , there should be a pistol that will suit your needs.
    I am able to easily handle the large caliber as I am not adverse to the recoil, I'm a big guy. 6ft3in 300lbs. My only thought on the recoil is the getting the follow up shots off more quickly. I have quite a few big bores and much time firing each of them.

NRA Member

Sixto, do they make them in a compact model?

NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links