Para?

Para?

This is a discussion on Para? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm taking a CCW class in a couple weeks with my sister and father. I've been looking for a small compact .45 1911 as a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para?

Para?

I'm taking a CCW class in a couple weeks with my sister and father. I've been looking for a small compact .45 1911 as a carry gun. After a few gun shows, i think i found the one i want. Its the companion carry option by Para. I love the features it has and it feels great in my hand.
    Now, does anyone have any experience with this gun? Thoughts? Opinions? I havent heard much about Para, the guy at the show said they are a good company but dont know how much of that was him trying to sell a gun.

No first hand experience but from what I've seen and read, they are an excellent company. A little pricey, however, if I remember correctly.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

yea they seem to run around 800-900. I dont mind the price, considering it might save my life or a family member.

I don't own a small 1911 from Para, but I do own a full size Nite Tac and I love it. Accurate and reliable. My only complaint is the stock magazines from Para are crap. One of mine actually fell apart in side the magazine well while I was at the the range. Otherwise a great company and great customer service.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Distinguished Member
    Take a look at the Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, you get a lot more for your money, it is a little larger though and a SS 1911 can get heavy after wearing it all day, everyday.

I have a Para Companion that I carry almost every day on long term loan from a friend who has two other LDA Paras. I have shot all three and I am a big fan of the Para. I carry the Companion with a pocket holster in khakis or owb. I will be purchasing an iwb rig in the next day or two. I really like the LDA trigger. The Paras are very accurate and reliable. When finances improve I will be purchasing either the Companion or the Carry.

If you look around you should be able to pick up a slightly used para in the $500 range, such as a stainless steel 12.45 LDA. It will have a 3.5" barrel. The light double action is outstanding.
    Two things you will have to do (99% gauranteed) is replace the extractor and polish the feed ramp. Both easy and cheap. Out of all my pistols, That is one that I do miss. Very accurate and you can double tap like you wouldn't believe.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I love my Para

I purchased a P-12 Alloy frame, steel slide back in the mid 90's. After the initial breakin of 200 to 300 rds of factory Hardball, it eats anything I feed it....Black Talons (my carry ammo), Speer JHP, Hardcast SWC. I have not had any issues with the stock magazines, it came with one and I brought two more. It is very accurate (use it to qualify CCW) and reliable.I have been carrying this pistol in condx one for over four years now IWB. Weight is 24 oz. unloaded, so even with 12 +1 it is not too uncomfortable to carry all day.....which I have, even in summertime. I like these Para's so much that I recently ordered the Para Warthog Hi cap...10 rd., 3" bbl.I don't know anything about the LDA trigger system, but,have heard it is very nice. I'm just used to carrying 'cocked n' locked' SA. I know you won't go wrong with Para Ordinance weapons
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

Para seems to be well made...and if it feels good in your hand, I'd say..."Sold!"

Stay armed...with your pick...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

great to hear, I'm lookin foward to picking one up at the next show.

I also looked at their new warthogs but they felt to bulky in my hand.

double stack magazine para's are only 1/8th inch thicker than single stack 1911's . It just feels alot thicker.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I would ask around...the posters on here have reported that the "blue/black" stock finish is pretty flimsy and wears very quickly so u might wanna try stainless.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I was going to get stainless, thanks for the heads up anyway...

I owned a para p-12 1911 3 1/2 inch barrel, it was a good pistol but the double stack mag made the grips very uncomfy for c/c, so i sold it and got a colt defender 3 inch barrel insted and i love it!
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

The defender feels like a great gun, I held one at the last show, I actually thought about getting one along with the Para later on down the road, just to change things up. Also thought about looking into the kimber carry options but they didnt have that "feel" the colt and para did when i picked them up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links