H&K P2000SK LEM .40 S&W [versus] HK45 Compact - Need some input

This is a discussion on H&K P2000SK LEM .40 S&W [versus] HK45 Compact - Need some input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned an H&K P2000SK in LEM .40 S&W for over a year now and just recently acquired another H&K, the HK45C (H&K .45 ...

I have owned an H&K P2000SK in LEM .40 S&W for over a year now and just recently acquired another H&K, the HK45C (H&K .45 Compact). I own a Tucker Leather "The Answer" IWB for the P2000SK which also fits the HK45C fairly well. I will also be using a Comp Tac Infidel on warmer days. I am having difficulty in deciding which to use for concealed carry. I shoot them both well and I know I can't go wrong either way, but I still want some input into which you would personally prefer and why. I have a holster for the HK45C on order and the P2000SK holster will work fine for it at the moment. It conceals very deeply, and much lower than even the nicest Milt Sparks VMII that I own.

The P2000SK is a little bit smaller than the HK45C and even has one more round (9+1 .40 S&W versus 8+1 .45 cal). I am accurate with both weapons and I know both will serve me well to defend my life. The .45 cal is considerably larger than the .40 S&W when held next to each other in person. In the range, the blast was quite a bit more powerful also.

The LEM trigger is a pleasure to shoot for me personally, but the V1 HK45C has a safety and the crisp SA/DA feel is also very fine.

I've heard that you should carry the pistol (of course accurate and reliable) with the most powerful round with the highest capacity feasible, and the energy from the .40 S&W is higher than that of the .45 cal, but the .45 cal is proven to be a devastating round...

In comparison, under the Speer Personal Protection Handgun Ammo section (Gold Hollow Point):
    .45 Caliber SPEER Gold Dot Hollow Point 230 Grain
    Muzzle Energy (5" trigger used) = 404 foot pounts
    50 yards energy = 365 foot pounds

Muzzle Velocity = 1025 ft/sec
    50 Yards Velocity = 956 ft/sec

.40 S&W SPEER Gold Dot Hollow Point 180 Grain
    Muzzle Energy (4" trigger used) = 420 foot pounts
    50 Yards energy = 365 foot pounds

Muzzle Velocity = 890 ft/sec
    50 Yards Velocity = 845 ft/sec

Also, what do you know about the .45 ACP GDHP +P ammunition? Its stats are impressive at a muzzle energy of 518 foot pounds and a muzzle velocity of 1080 ft/sec but it is also 200 grain instead of 230. The HK45C is created to handle +P ammo

HK45C

H&K P2000SK LEM .40 S&W

I use three different holsters: the Milt Sparks Versa Max II, the Tucker Leather "The Answer" IWB, and the Comp-Tac Infidel 2 O'Clock. Notice how the Tucker Leather holster rides lower than the VMII, which I find makes it more concealable and is actually more comfortable IMHO (especially with the flat mag plate replaced on the H&Ks).

P2000SK .40 LEM in a Tucker Leather "The Answer" IWB

HK45C in a Tucker Leather "The Answer" IWB

P2000SK .40 LEM in a Milt Sparks VMII

Like you said you can't go wrong ether way... with that being said the only thing I can say is it's a personal thing. For me myself and I the compact would be my choice. This is just size and the fact that I believe the .45 would suit me better in a holster in the vehicle or next to the bed (this being that it isn't in a holster strapped to my leg). Though I must state that I think the compact rides alot better in the Milt Sparks holster. Again this is just my two cents... But good luck and hopefully this helps a little.

First off, fantastic taste in firearms

Second, as far as which to carry, I think it comes down to which you are more comfortable shooting and concealing. The stopping power of a modern 9mm vs. .45 round is probably negligible. All other things being equal, I'd go with the .45. Bigger is always better

Third, is that a Tucker holster for a P2000 or 2000sk? I have a MTAC (which is very similar) on the way and I was told that the
    HK45c fits in the holster for the P2000. Guess I'll find out in a few days

What other holster do you have on order?
    HK45c V1

That is a tucker holster. The names of the holsters are at the top of each picture. I only have one tucker and one comp tac on order at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by kashton View Post
    That is a tucker holster. The names of the holsters are at the top of each picture. I only have one tucker and one comp tac on order at the moment.
    Yes, I know it's a Tucker, but you said you have one for the P2000sk but your gun has a P2000 imprint on the grip???
    HK45c V1

Do you have trouble getting a decent grip with the Tucker holster? It looks as if the clip and the grip ride quite close to each other, thus making it difficult to get a secure grip. This could just be an optical illusion thing. And secondly, how does the Sparks pull the gun in? Was your belt just loose there, or does it not pull in as tight?
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I carry a P2000SK V3 in 9mm with DoubleTap 124gr +P (flat bottomed 10rd mag) in a K&D Defender.

Doubletap 124gr, 9mm +P
    ------------------------------
    Bullet : Speer Gold Dot JHP
    Ballistics : 124gr @ 1310fps / 473ft. lbs. from a G17.
    124 @ 1295fps / 462 ft. lbs. from a G19

Personally, I think it is plenty of firearm, esp. when you factor in two spare P30 mags (15 rd. ea.).

Seems to me that your .40 SK is plenty of firearm when carried with good ammunition. Carry a full size spare mag or two and you should be set.

FWIW, I prefer the flat bottomed mags for additional concealability.

OTOH, the 45C should be fine with a couple of spare mags.

As others have said - you can't really go wrong either way.

Enjoy.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Yes, I know it's a Tucker, but you said you have one for the P2000sk but your gun has a P2000 imprint on the grip???
    P2000 on the grip means it's an SK. SK is only written on the slide.

Jackle - The VMII rides much higher and doesn't pull the pistol in as much as I'd like. It is however very comfortable and allows for a very fast draw. I wear my belt tight. I do not have any trouble drawing with the Tucker holster.

Thank you for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by kashton View Post
    P2000 on the grip means it's an SK. SK is only written on the slide.

Jackle - The VMII rides much higher and doesn't pull the pistol in as much as I'd like. It is however very comfortable and allows for a very fast draw. I wear my belt tight. I do not have any trouble drawing with the Tucker holster.

Thank you for the replies!
    Ah, gotcha. Not all too familiar with the P2000 series. I just got an MTAC for the P2000 for my HK45c. Jury is still out on whether or not it's an 'adequate' fit....
    HK45c V1

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I carry a P2000SK V3 in 9mm with DoubleTap 124gr +P (flat bottomed 10rd mag) in a K&D Defender.

Doubletap 124gr, 9mm +P
    ------------------------------
    Bullet : Speer Gold Dot JHP
    Ballistics : 124gr @ 1310fps / 473ft. lbs. from a G17.
    124 @ 1295fps / 462 ft. lbs. from a G19

Personally, I think it is plenty of firearm, esp. when you factor in two spare P30 mags (15 rd. ea.).

Seems to me that your .40 SK is plenty of firearm when carried with good ammunition. Carry a full size spare mag or two and you should be set.

FWIW, I prefer the flat bottomed mags for additional concealability.

OTOH, the 45C should be fine with a couple of spare mags.

As others have said - you can't really go wrong either way.

Enjoy.

-john

+1 to good taste!
    I carry a similar set-up. P2000sk v3 9mm with the 124gr Speers as well. I carry in a comp-tac minotaur IWB holster and love it. The full rig just seems to fit my hip, and conceals rather easily for me. My difference is the spare mags, I carry a 13 rounder with the X-grip.

I also agree with your statement about the flat bottom mags, they are wayyy easier to conceal.

A question for you though, I was not aware the p30 magazines were compatible with the sk, did you have to make any modifications to make them work, or was it just plug and play?
    Concealed Carry Class...........................$125.00
    Fingerprints at Sheriffs Office..................$91.70
    CCW Endorsement on ID.......................$11.00
    Allowed to carry my weapon 24/7.........Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by subdermal View Post
    A question for you though, I was not aware the p30 magazines were compatible with the sk, did you have to make any modifications to make them work, or was it just plug and play?
    They are plug and play, the same way your spares would be w/o the X-Grip (looks slightly odd). Of course, this only works for 9mm since there is no P30 in .40.

The only downside is their is no X-Grip type option for the P30 mags.

Personally, that doesn't bother me at all, and I've had zero problem using any of these combination at the range.

It also suggests the P30 / P2000SK would make a great full size / backup combo since they could share the same mags.

-john

From the pics I like the way the H&K sits in the Tucker it is very similar to the T&T Gunleather which I slightly prefer over my VMII.

I would think the recoil of the 45C would be more controllable than the P2000SK in .40. Also, a lot depends on what trigger you prefer.

Links