P232 or 85 Cheetah?

This is a discussion on P232 or 85 Cheetah? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering your thoughts on these two beauties. My PPK needs a buddy. Thanks....

Thread: P232 or 85 Cheetah?

P232 or 85 Cheetah?

Just wondering your thoughts on these two beauties. My PPK needs a buddy.
    Thanks.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd buy the 232. Its slimmer and has better parts and aftermarket support. The cheetah is a neat gun in its own right as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    I'd get the double stack Cheetah, 13 rounds of .380, has the "proper" magazine release and still includes a manual slide stop.

It's a neat little pistol, but edgy.

Also, for the size and cost, it's hard to beat a Bersa .380.

With the Sig you can get the blue model in alloy frame and steel slide or the stainless in steel frame and steel slide. I can't remember what the two tone is. I think the Beretta is matte blue alloy frame and matte blue steel slide. I don't think it's made in nickle anymore. That being said, get both if you can. john

Get a Bersa Thunder 380 Plus with the double stack mag. It is reliable, accurate, relatively light and thin, and does not bite the web of your hand like a PPK.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Both are the class act of the current .380 offerings. Each offer characteristics anyone would want in a CCW.

In my opinion the Beretta is the stronger, more robust, more "duty" qualified of the two. The Beretta has a light but very strong alloy frame, has proven to be most reliable, is the only pistol in this catagory with a chromed chamber and barrel for long life. The Beretta has a very good trigger. There are three types of grip panels available, plastic, wood or rubber.

The Sig is a slimmer, lighter, (only in the alloy framed models), but very competent pistol. It gives up to the Beretta magazine capacity, 1 or 6 depending on the model. The stainless model weighs about the same as the Beretta. The Sig too offers three grips of plastic, wood or rubber.

If concealability is the major issue then the Sig has a slight advantage due to it's being slimmer. If heavier use or higher mag capacity is important then the Beretta, either the 84 or 85 fills the bill.

I've carried both...a Beretta for a long time, a Sig as an occational hot weather change. I actually trust the Beretta more though none of my three Sigs have failed, but the Berettas have much more history with me and thousands of round without fail.

I shoot both about equally. These are accurate, high quality firearms, perfect for concealed duty. Excellent holsters are readily available for both. Both take down very easily, with the nod going to the Beretta for simplicity. The only other one I believe built as well is the Sphinx.

I like the.380 as a small frame CCW. I shoot it well, they fit my hand and carry easily. Here are a few of my.380s, the nickled Beretta 84 saw about 14 years of use;

Last edited by ripley16; December 16th, 2008 at 07:05 AM.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Some observations on the P232 vs. the Model 85F are here if they might be of use:

http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.co...odel-85-f.html

Best.

I have no experience with the Beretta but i do own a p232 in blue. It has been a reliable and accurate gun since i bought it. Its lightweight and small profile makes it easy to carry concealed. I also prefer the DA/SA decocker trigger system. I did have a problem with a tiny extractor spring that popped out when i took it down for cleaning and was never able to find it. One call to Sig Sauer and a new spring arrived in the mail a week later free of charge.

Administrator
    SIG makes one TOUGH alloy frame.
    Tough call because I've always liked both Beretta and SIG.
    Most Berettas are feed demons and they eat anything.
    Flip a coin 'cause you'll not go wrong with either.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cool

I carry a Beretta 84BB, which is the 13 +1 version. Mine has Pachmeyer grips on it and it's one sweet shooting pistol. It's a rugged duty worthy type weapon with all the features of it's big brother the Model 92F. It's never failed to fire anything I've fed it for ammunition. That said, I love the way the Sigs look too.
    Fear is a reaction.......
    Courage is a decision.

FOR GOD, FOR COUNTRY AND FOR BLUE MAX

Blue Max 24, U.S. Army, RVN 1972

I have the P232 SL with factory night sghts and it is one sweet gun. I think the P232 is one of the sleekest looking guns on the market. Make sure you get the Hogue grips, as some report a slide bite without them, although those Nills sure look sweeeeet. Either one you decide on check out the Buffalo Bore Gold Dots, it is what I carry in my P232 and my Guardian, very impressive rounds. Feel free to PM me with any ?

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    I have the alloy frame Sig P232. Lightweight, easy to conceal, great for summer carry. Sights are a little bit tougher to align correctly - just my opinion. Very reliable and accurate. Can occassional misfeed, which is tougher to clear with the bottom magazine release. All said thought, it is a great pistol.

I don't carry mine as often these days as it has mainly been replaced with a PPK for winter use.

My new P232 Blue came in (Sig night sights) but I haven't picked it up yet. Ordered a Galco Executive shoulder rig to carry with in winter, and Don Hume pocket holster for summer. Can't wait to get it to the range.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Steven Camp's comparison is excellent, and ripley's visuals round out the comparison...I have no experience with Sig's, but I have had Beretta's...sounds to me like either one would be a winner.
    If you're like most gun enthusiasts...you'll end up with both.

Stay armed...have fun choosing...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp View Post
    Hello. Some observations on the P232 vs. the Model 85F are here if they might be of use:

hi-powers--handguns: SIG-Sauer P232 vs. Beretta Model 85 F Cheetah...

Best.
    The review of the pistols is spot on in most regards, however there is one error in the write-up, when the writer says;
    "Both offer an external slide release."
    and of course this is not the case as the Sig has no external slide release.

Links