Wilson Combat Question

Wilson Combat Question

This is a discussion on Wilson Combat Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, What the heck are the differences in the Wilson models. Each one comes with three different frame metal options, they all seem to have ...

Thread: Wilson Combat Question

Question Wilson Combat Question

Ok,

What the heck are the differences in the Wilson models. Each one comes with three different frame metal options, they all seem to have limitless options.

So what makes the CQB cost almost half of the Supergrade?

I really like both of them.

I'm looking for something for daily carry, but I want it to be gorgeous.

Requirements:
    • Smooth silvered frame(does hard chrome come with shiny fnish?)
    • Smooth Blued slide
    • Ambi Safety
    • Speedchute
    • skeleton hammer/trigger

I emailed their sales people and they said they are wiling to remove the front serrations, and the model engraving from the slide (I just think a smooth clean slide is so gorgeous)

So does anyone have any idea what the real differences are in the two models?

I can work up to the money, even for the expensive one, if it's really worth the difference.

Thanks in advance!
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Wilson Combat...

SMOTTA,

I'll give your question a shot. I'm a Master Dealer with Wilson Combat, but don't know all the answers as I just recently got hooked up with them. So far, I'm very impressed.

The difference in the guns & therefore the price is because of several factors. But first, understand that they all have the same "guarantee" in that they will shoot accurately & run correctly with good ammo.

The Supergrades have more "add ons" & features although the CQB can be ordered with all the same goodies, but it will still say CQB. I've got one like that with lots of upgrades & it's a tack driver. The parts for the Supergrades are hand picked from the lot by the best gunsmiths & are built by them. Those guns probably have twice the time put into them that the less expensive models do. Time equals money. They go over the gun longer as far as cosmetics go. The Supergrades also come with 6 magazines that adds somewhat to the cost.

I can tell you that the guns I have in stock as well as the one I'm shooting are flawless & none of them are Supergrades. I hope that somewhat answers your question. As I say, I'm not an expert as a relatively new dealer, but have paraphrased what my rep has told me.

Here's an analogy for you. I'm a long time shotgun guy & a NSCA (National Sporting Clays Assoc.) Level III Instructor. I know shotguns. I became a dealer for Perazzi USA several years ago. I can sell you a Perazzi MX8 that costs approx. $8500. Or, I can order you the identical gun that costs approx. $100,000. The gun is the same, except for fabulous wood & incredible engraving. In other words, I think you would be perfectly happy with the way one of the lower priced Wilson Combat pistols operates, but may prefer to spend more money to know that you have the best of the best.

If you decide on a Wilson Combat I'll be glad to tell you what I have available or order one for you. My contact info is on my website below or you can find me on the Wilson Combat website dealer page by searching area code 39042.

Sh00ter
    Rankin Arms Company
    Clay and Wings - Joe Rankin Level III Shooting Instructor
    Last edited by Sh00ter; December 17th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Sounds like Sh00ter nailed it. More attention to detail as I understand it, is much of the difference. Things you can't actually see much of the time.

But the CQB is their top seller. And the quality does show simply handling one. If you want to go way up, get the Supergrade. Me, I'm thrilled with my CQB. And I'd probably just get a top 'smith to build a total custom before I'd drop the dollars for a Supergrade. But that's just me, that's why there are different options for different preferences.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

The way I'd explain it is if you wanted a custom 1911 and wanted the best parts available, and have it hand built, fitted, dehorned, tested, and polished, but you had no clue as to what the different parts did or the differences between them...that's where the supergrade comes in. It's like having a custom smith make a gun especially for you except you don't need to know anything about gun parts and pick them out.

In my opinion it's as good as you can get without picking out the parts yourself and having a smith build it. Personally though, I'd get the CQB as it's every bit as good as the supergrade from a shooter's perspective. Having fired both I can tell you that for me, and granted I'm not a deadeye or a smith or anyone that has had any formal military training or experience, I think they both perform the same.

It's sort of like people who are looking at cars. You have a Lexus and a Toyota. Both built by the same manufacturer but one is a little more luxurious.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

More on Wilson Combat...

CMD,

I agree with you that the CQB is every bit as good as the more expensive guns from a shooter's perspective. It all depends on what options you want on the gun. The one I kept for myself has been perfectly reliable from the 1st round.

Two guys at the range who are LEO & much better shots than I have tested the gun. Both of them shot a clip each & center punched the target with all holes touching. I don't know what else anyone could expect.

The CQB in my Avitar has lots of the upgrades found on the more expensive guns like serrations on the top of the slide, Speed Chute, Ambi safety, Starburst grips, adjustable sights with Tritium inserts, etc. It's still a CQB, just an upgraded one.

Sh00ter
    Rankin Arms Company

CQB it is. thanks for the explanations.

I just kept looking and looking and couldn't see a difference...
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

AEA
    I'm quite happy with my Protector!

CQB...

SMOTTA,

I'd surely appreciate an opportunity to handle your order. When you get ready, I've got one in stock, can possibly locate you one if that one is no longer available, or will be glad to custom order you one. Wait time is 3-4 months.

The one I have in stock is the light weight frame & if you're going to carry it, you would probably prefer it to the heavier one.

Sh00ter

Links