Bersa Handguns?

This is a discussion on Bersa Handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the bersa thunder series are all a great size for carry but does andyone carry a bersa? if so have you ever had trouble with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa Handguns?

Bersa Handguns?

the bersa thunder series are all a great size for carry but does andyone carry a bersa? if so have you ever had trouble with it?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Have one, used to carry it, I think it's one of the best values out there in an economy handgun. It's one of my most accurate. Safety was too stiff but I didn't use the safety when I carried it; relied on DA for the first shot as my safety. I eventually replaced it to get a larger caliber in the same basic size of a gun (Kahr P9) and eventually replaced that with a Colt New Agent to get a .45 in a package that was about the same size as a P9.

My son uses the Bersa at the range. Some use it for a pocket pistol but I can't imagine for the life of me how big there pockets must be to pocket and draw it.

I think it's a decent piece but would always recommend someone consider a 9mm in the same size package. Something like a Kel-Tec PF9 would be similar in price range but would be snappier shooting.

My Bersa is a joy to shoot and I'll pass it down to my son.

f

My wife caries a Bersa and loves it.
    She will not carry something if it is bigger or heavier.

(Better the pea shooter in your pocket, than the cannon back at home.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I carry Bersa Thunder 380 about half the time. I actually found the recoil less than the Walther PPK (which, by the way, seemed more prone to stovepipe jamming--I know, opening myself up to critique of technique, but I REALLY wanted the Walthers to work.). Also, the Bersa field-strips very simply, much like my Beretta 92FS--no special tools, no contortions to keep springs from a-flyin', a fine example of the KISS principle. Additionally, with it's 3.5" barrel, I saw a real difference in accuracy which I think is attributable in large part to that extra 0.5". The "pinky rest" on the bottom of the clip also aids in stability. It does not seem to try to "jump" in your grip like some other smaller cal. models. The feed slide is an alloy, not steel, and there have been some reports of wearing down of the slide over time (4-5 thousand rounds seems to stick in my mind, but I remember thinking that it wasn't much of a factor). For the price, about half that of a Sig or Walther, it's a tight little firearm. One word of caution. Invest in the Bersa mags, expensive thought they are ($35-$50, depending on where and availability) as aftermarket mags, such as Pro Mag, slam against the internal part of the mag release and can only be inserted by holding down the mag release button while you insert the magazine. No problems with the Bersa Mags. In the past year I have had not a single ejection failure or other "jamming" or any other problem whatsoever with this firearm. And finally, it feels like you're firing a larger cal. firearm, smooth, solid, much less recoil than you'd expect from a pistol this size. Hope this helps.
    Anything worth doing is worth complicating.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I carried one for 5 years and it was a great little gun. I sold it and bought my Glock 26. If I get in the market again for a 380, I will buy a Bersa again. Good value for the price.

My dad has a Bersa .380 that I've had the pleasure of shooting quite a bit, it's quite accurate for its short sight radius and seems to be a good value for the price. Personally I have bigger hands and the Bersa gets lost sometimes, but that's totally dependent on the user. My dad has probably 1,000-1,200 rounds through it so far with only a couple stovepipes... the yellow-box UMC .380 ammo seems to disagree with the Bersa for some reason.

Also ditto on the Bersa ONLY magazines for extra capacity, he tried a ProMag and had the same problem. Not cool at all if you need to change mags quickly and forget the process. Factory mags snap right in, no problem. Take down for cleaning is super simple, 25 seconds to get gun apart.

Only downside I know of is there's no lasers available for the Bersa that I know of, replacement sights might also be a pain to locate if you want an upgrade.

I would personally recommend a Kahr or XD 9mm Subcompact instead of the Bersa, more gun for not much more money, but that's my 0.02
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i had one and had nothing but trouble with it. to be fair, i didn't really give it much thought though. Bought it "new" had trouble right away. I was cycling rounds through to get a feel for the slide and couldn't get rounds to even feed. eventually, i figured out it was a stiff ejector rod. thought i had that fixed and took it to the range. ran about 30 shots through it, roughly 20 of which had major FTF issues where the slide was actually stuck and had to be pried free. of the 10 that did feed correctly, i had 3 or 4 where the hammer struck and no bang happened. took it to the on-site smith only to be told he didn't work on them. "you get what you paid for" he says. i checked out :: Bersa Talk :: and found MULTIPLE posts of owners that had the same FTF as i do. I didn't really have a great feeling of the gun, so I got rid of it. mine was a 380cc
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

The Thunder 380cc seems to have been plagued with reports of problems on the web from day one. Try the plain ol' regular Thunder 380 at a range, put 40 or 80 rounds through it and see what you think. Since you're just coming off of a cc version, someone at the range may suggest removing the pinky rest on the clip, "to make it more like the Bersa cc." Don't do it, or at least until you do the above trial with the standard configuration to get a fair feel. If by some chance there is an issue with that particular firearm, ask to try another same model firearm if they have it, just in case (being a range pistol it's been subject to who knows what abuse and may not have recently been checked out. I think you may well find the Bersa Thunder 380 much more reliable and every bit as cocealable as the "special" Bersa cc model. Good luck
    Anything worth doing is worth complicating.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    My friend bought a bersa thunder 380 as his first gun a year ago. I felt bad for him when our group went out shooting. I can honestly say I don't think he's ever emptied a single magazine without some type of failure. Constant FTF and occasional FTE. I would NOT want to have this gun. I would rather carry a Sig Mosquito 22 because atleast I know I can empty the whole mag into a BG if needed.

Bottom line here, in my experience the Bersa Thunder in 380 is a real POS. Alot of first time/only time pistol owners buy bersa thunder's because theyre concealable, shoot it on 2 seperate occasions and leave it back in the closet.

I didn't want to dog on mine before I let everyone else do it first. I had some initial problems with mine. There is a goofy trigger safety wire that broke on mine.

But once I got that fixed and put some cool looking aftermarket wooden grip panels on mine, I really like it. I had nothing but trouble with two of my Kel Tecs, but now that I have them fixed and have a few thousand trouble free rounds through them both, I carry one in my back pocket everyday as a bug. Like everything else that is mechanical, they can break.

We are a 2-Bersa household. My wife loves her T380cc. Both the CC and our 380-duotone are both reliable as heck. Other than limpwristing, we have never had a problem with either of them. The duotone is a safe queen now, but the t-380cc usually sees regular daily use from the wife.
    Attached Images
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I've got the Bersa 380cc and it shoots great,
    no problems at all.
    I think that Bersa must have tweaked this
    gun a little and fixed the problems
    the other posters have had.
    Another great thing about Bersa is that they
    have several .380s to choose from.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Senior Moderator
    I have a Bersa .380 that is on prement loan to my Father, it is a good soild dependable pistol
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have both the Bersa Thunder 380CC and the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Conceal. Both are excellent pistols and I have had absoultele ZERO issues with them. Both are smooth as silk. Please be sure to properly clean and lube the weapon before you shoot for the first time. I did a "Fluff and Buff" F&B on all of my pistols. The directions for a "Fluff and Buff" are on the Kel-Tec Owners Group site. KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group
    Please PM me if you hve questions about the F&B

Further Bersa info may be found at www.bersatalk.com
    Last edited by NavDoc; December 18th, 2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: additional info

I got a Bersa .380 about a year and a half ago. I bought it from a small city PD officer who bought it to carry as a BUG, who got hired by the State Police who of course furnish their officers guns. He said he had hardly shot it, didn't even carry it, and had instead carried a S&W .38 snub. as his BUG.

It looked new, so I bought it, and wish I hadn't. I had jams off and on from the start, and even from a bench rest it won't shoot better than a 7-8 inch group at 20yds. About four boxes of shells trough it the rear sight blade actually flew off the gun. After multiple contacts with Bersa, and a year later, I still didn't have a new sight blade, so I made one. And it still hangs one up on occaision, but not nearly as often as it did at first, but is terribly inaccurate.

I originally bought it for my wife, thought she might like it, but it isn't dependable enough for carry. Turns out she prefers a Defender 1911 when she isn't packing her snub, which I think is great anyway.

I still have it, I suppose it is ok as a beat and bang gun for being on a tractor or fourwheeling when you might lose one or get it dusty/muddy.

I would sell it, but hate to pawn my junk off to someone else. I guess I'll keep it, but I got to give Bersa's a big from my experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links