Glock 23 Range Report

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, thanks for everyone's help and advice in choosing my new companion. It was a tough race between the 19, the 23, and the ...

Thread: Glock 23 Range Report

Glock 23 Range Report

First off, thanks for everyone's help and advice in choosing my new companion. It was a tough race between the 19, the 23, and the 36 and after a couple of range sessions, I feel I've made the right choice. I ended up picking up a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB holster to hold me over until my VM2 arrives. The Comp-Tac makes concealing the G23 a bit of a challenge (I'm 5'8" and 150lbs), but nothing that's impossible. I think the VM2 and a good belt will make this thing easily disappear. Now to the report...

On the first trip, I bought two 50ct boxes of MagTech 180gr FMJ. The G23 fed and ejected everything really smoothly through the first box, but I was hitting everything pretty low. I could tell that I was jerking the trigger a bit, so the second box, I put a lot of effort into concentrating on my trigger finger while I was shooting. My groups instantly tightened up and hit the target @ POA. However, I had a stovepipe halfway through the box. I'm 100% sure I limp wristed it while I was concentrating so much on my squeeze.

When I got home, I cleaned all the factory gunk out of the gun and re-lubed it.

Second trip, I bought two more boxes of MagTech FMJs, and a box of MagTech Guardian Gold 180gr JHPs. I shot the first 50 rounds at 7 yards and ended up with a 4" gaping hole in the middle of the target with 3 or 4 rounds within a 8" circle. The second box of ammo was at 10 yards with the majority of my rounds in a 6" circle and a handful out to 10 or 11 inches. Finally, I put magazine full of JHPs down range to get a feel for the carry round and the performed just like the FMJs. All ammo fed and ejected perfectly.

I felt 1000x more comfortable with the G23 on the second trip and will probably make this my EDC after a few more range trips. I'm gonna give it a run at a steel match this evening to see how it handles under stress (if I can convince the baby sitter to watch my son for an extra couple of hours) :)

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the 23, I think you made an excellent choice!

Nice choice! If I had to pick one, and only one, pistol to bet my life on it would be a Glock. Glad you are enjoying it.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

You make a great choice. I carry a G23 every day, in and out of the house. I am also 5'8 and during the summer of 2007 I was about 155lbs but after lifting weights like crazy for a year I now tip the scales at 175lbs. The G23 just vanishes now that I have broadened my shoulders. But even at a fairly scrawny 155, I could still conceal the G23 pretty easily.

That gun will serve you well and it will take a massive amount of abuse and never complain. I wore mine last summer when it was 100 degrees out, under a shirt while riding my bicycle 60 miles. When I got home, I actually shook sweat out of the gun like it had been dunked in a bucket! I stripped it down, cleaned it and lubed it and it still doesn't have a hint of rust. Still functions like the day I bought it.

It's a great gun. Enjoy it!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I agree - great choice. I have a 23, and I have never had a stovepipe (knock on wood). I shot about 300-400 rounds before I cleaned it the very first time without a hitch.

Now, she's just a sweet, sweet little piece. Guess I feel a little more gutsy. My range practice is about 50 feet or so - and I can place about 90 or more rounds in the 14 inch target out of 100 rounds. I figure if I can do that - the closer stuff is dead on.

Again, good choice!!

P.S. I'm 5'9" about 180 - guess our size is just attracted to the G23
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Also a G23 fan

I think the Glock 23 may be one of the best all around defensive guns made. Besides being light weight, concealable and accurate, it gives you lots of capacity, a powerful caliber and the same trigger pull on every shot without a manual safety to remember to release under stress. And the price is reasonable.

I've had the G23 below for about 8 years, buying it used from the original owner who had the gun customized a bit at Arotek with a hard chrome slide and controls. It has never missed a beat in thousands of rounds, and I often have carried it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Congrats on your Glock-23 decision...I'd prefer something in .45, but you are going to be happy with your choice.

Stay armed...Glock-23 ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glock 23 is a great choice. First class carry.

Pogo2, that is one fine looking 23!

good gun, got one and love it. many k's of rounds down range with no problems. no matter the brand or make of ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Good choice, It's what ride's with me.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

My G23 is my best buddy. He and I are usually together.

Links