Vague Sig Slide Release Question

This is a discussion on Vague Sig Slide Release Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd recently seen a post regarding use of the slide release on, I think, Sigs in general. I apologize but I was not able to ...

Thread: Vague Sig Slide Release Question

Vague Sig Slide Release Question

I'd recently seen a post regarding use of the slide release on, I think, Sigs in general. I apologize but I was not able to find the post and can't recall the exact context or if a particular model was mentioned. But, the comment, as I remember it, was something like "the Sig slide release wasn't designed or intended to be used to release the slide to chamber a round".

Naturally this has been bugging me since I read it. I'm coming from an M1911 background, but have recently fired a 226 and a 229 and that's how I fired both weapons...pop in another mag and drop the slide.

Is this incorrect practice for the 22x models, or did I misinterpret the comment that I think I remember?

Again I apologize for vagueness but I'm hoping there's enough info here that someone might know the likely intent of the comment. I don't own a Sig but hope to soon, so I also apologize for my ignorance of the gun.

This may have been in a thread about the use of a particular style hold when shooting the P220 SAO, and that hold tending to release the slide.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

2. Remove Ads

Never heard of that. I have a P220 SAO. I don't see how any popular "hold" would even get close to the slide release/lock much less be an issue. It's hard enough for me to operate intentionally.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Some people like to slingshot the slide to get better feeding, although I think you might want to consider your ammo choices if this a constant issue. I have 3 Sig and alway release the slide stop to feed a round in from a new mag.

VIP Member
    "Slingshotting" isn't about getting better feeding, really - as long as you don't impede the forward progress of the slide either method should reliably feed and chamber the top round.

What it is about, primarily, is gross motor skills vs. fine motor skills. There is a school of thought that espouses using the slingshot method because it is easier to do under stress, less likely to be flubbed because of wet/slippery hands or weapon, and can be done with the slide either forward or locked back. For these reasons (and a few other, very minor ones) I prefer the slingshot method - but there isn't anything inherently wrong with using the slide stop.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    Never heard that. I have a 220 SAO and the only additional info I got was regarding the safety.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Owning several Sigs, I have never seen any instruction from Sig about not using the slide catch favoring the slingshot method. I have always used the slide catch to release the slide as you dont have to modify your grip on the pistol.

I have seen a good number of people applying pressure on the slide catch with the "thumbs forward" grip. This will cause the slide to not lock back when you empty a mag. I have also seen quite a few instances of people applying upward pressure on the catch and causing the slide to lock back prematurely. Once you get used to the pistol and establish a good shooting grip, you should have no issues in this arena.

FLSig

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Given that SIG consciously put the slide release in a position to be operated easily by the right thumb, and that their manuals indicate using said slide release, I think what you read earlier was mistaken or you might have misinterpreted it.

I use mine to reload all the time, and it works just fine.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Never had a problem feeding using mine, but I rarely do it anymore. I slingshot for the gross vs fine motor skills issue.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Okay good, and thanks everyone. I don't think I misread the post I'm referring to, but my first thought on reading it was basically reflected in Kazz' comment--why would you put a standard slide release in the 'standard' position if it wasn't designed to be used as a slide release? I also questioned how the average person would know what Sig intended to design for, but now I'm getting snotty.

I've actually never slingshotted as far as I can remember--I assume this means retracting the slide with the left had to release the catch then letting 'er fly. I'll try it frequently in the future. My use of right thumb to release the slide has been exclusive, but I also notice I often tend to lose concentration on where the muzzle is pointed when doing so...tending to rotate the weapon to my left in order to get the thumb far enough forward (on an M1911). Using the left hand to pull the slide back would certainly force me to pay serious attention to where the gun is pointed.

I certainly love few things more than the sound of a 1911 slide being dropped with a flick of the slide release though...honestly after nearly 40 years of ownership, that slathery jumble of a sound still makes the hair stand up on my neck. I expect a new P220 will sound a little less like the transmission on a Fordson tractor than my turn-of-the-century Argentine 'Colt'.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Bongo Boy...

I also remember something vaguely on the same thread, except about Glocks and not Sigs.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Senior Moderator
    Many moons ago...
    Slingshotting was used to chamber the first round exactly like the last.

Helping the round and easing it to the chamber of many guns will result in the first shot being different than the rest. Sometimes it would shoot high, sometimes low because it wasnt seated exactly like the rounds were that were stripped and fed into the chamber by the slide.

The thought was to keep the tension the same each time. It is also done on semi auto and full auto weapons for the same reason. I was taught to never "ease" a bullet into the chamber, but to always use the the various devices on guns that release the bolt. While it may be a moot point on pistols because of the close range, it will definatley make a difference on a long gun if one is shooting for groups.

THe "gross motor skill" thing didnt come about till much later.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

the slide release on my sig 226 is the heaviest hardest slide release I have ever tried to use. Even when there is no mag inserted the darn thing takes a lot of pressure. I find it much easier to sling shot handguns anyway and as many have stated its a gross motor skill to sling shot so it could save you life practicing that way if you ever get into a gunfight.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Links