Glocks Got to ask?

Glocks Got to ask?

This is a discussion on Glocks Got to ask? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All Ok got to ask dont own a glock and have never fired one . I own Springfield 1911 and S&W 357mag but have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glocks Got to ask?

Glocks Got to ask?

Hi All
    Ok got to ask dont own a glock and have never fired one . I own Springfield 1911 and S&W 357mag but have been watching TV and was on TRU TV videos and more than once I have seen vidoes with Police officers in fights with their glocks taken from them or them firing and Glock jams and wont fire . Tonights video female officer
    has her glock taken from her , BG points at her head squeezes trigger it jams Thank God. but are they that unreliable or just acts of God?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

A Glock NOT firing would have to be an act of God. Seriously, they are one of the most dependable pistols made today.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Almost any gun not firing in that situation is an act of G-d. Even the badly made ones will usually go boom.
    Bet there wasn't one in the pipe. Lucky. But not smart either.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    A Glock NOT firing would have to be an act of God. Seriously, they are one of the most dependable pistols made today.
    This is true.

In the OP's post, there are two consistent factors in the Glock failure stories: Glocks and police officers. Since the Glock series of arms are famously reliable, the other factor is the one probably in play.

My fellow LEO's have probably observed this as well . It has been my experience that there are some deputies and police officers for whom a handgun is a thing they never quite become totally familiar with. For them, it is a tool that is alien to their personality and their nature; they'd rather not have it. A broken part can go unnoticed for weeks (or months) at a time. Ignorance, on the user's part, of maintenance procedures can result in disaster just when the weapon is supposed to fire.

What could have caused the officers' Glocks not to fire?

1. Stovepiping or failure to extract/eject due to filthy chambers or broken/filthy extractors.
    2. Stovepiping due to bent ejectors (which is a result of improper reassembly after field stripping)..
    3. Carrying the Glock in Condition III (despite departmental rules to the contrary).
    4. Using oil-soaked primers in the ammunition (due to the officer carefully cleaning and oiling each round before inserting them in the magazine).
    5. The officer uses his/her Glock as a USPSA/IDPA firearm and has replaced the striker spring and trigger spring with competition springs of less-than-standard foot pound weight.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Almost any gun not firing in that situation is an act of G-d. Even the badly made ones will usually go boom.
    Bet there wasn't one in the pipe. Lucky. But not smart either.
    Agreed just think it is a bit bizare. had another one where small cop gets in skirmish with large boxer shots him with glock once in gut just pisses guy off then goes for second shot and glock jams and then its on...
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

I would hope Police officers would take their weapon as serious as we did in military as the only thing that keeps you alive!! I would like to think it is by grace of God ive heard nothing but good things from Glock owners but just struck me in these videos and had to ask..
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

HKR
    You will rarely here the term unreliable in the same sentence with Glock. That said, any weapon is capable of failing. A lot of the LEO issued Glocks in this country are of the .40 variety and I've seen people limp wrist them to induce a malfunction, although it is tougher than you would think.

Glocks are very reliable. They don't sell as many as they do because of the looks of the things.

Just curious, but on this Tru TV (never seen it), do they show actual video of the encounters or are they reenactments?

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    Agreed just think it is a bit bizare. had another one where small cop gets in skirmish with large boxer shots him with glock once in gut just pisses guy off then goes for second shot and glock jams and then its on...
    Who knows... this one could be do to limp wristing the pistol or something. You did state that it was a "small cop".
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

it is actual video usually from police cams it is on spike tv
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

If you listened to the cop he said the first shot was a contact shot which caused the gun to jam. I have seen that video and heard that interview with the officer a million times. That is why you carry a back up gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I'd say USER error was involved. Mine ( all 4 & soon to 5 ) have ALWAYS gone BANG!

maybe it was loaded with WinClean ammo. I got about 2 dudds out of each box with that ammo :-( (Glock 27)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    T. V. that says it all.

I would say it was due to re chambering the
    rounds too many time.
    The bullet hits the feed ramp and gets pushed
    back into the case making it shorter,over and
    over and over
    This lets the round move forward in the chamber
    and away from the firing pin.
    Because GLOCKs don,t have a safety, people/cops
    unload them and re chamber the rounds more than
    other guns.
    Just my .02
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Do you really believe everything you see/hear on TV???
    Of all the brands and types of guns I have owned, the glocks were the most reliable. No failures of any kind, ever!
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links