Walther PPS .40

Walther PPS .40

This is a discussion on Walther PPS .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carry on duty Glock 23, looking to buy Walther PPS 40 for off duty. Any info would be appreciated.. Off duty now Kel Tec P3at ...

Thread: Walther PPS .40

Walther PPS .40

Carry on duty Glock 23, looking to buy Walther PPS 40 for off duty. Any info would be appreciated.. Off duty now Kel Tec P3at warm weather, Bersa .380, also.

why not the glock 27??? that way you can use the g23 mags at the range. know the g23 and the g27 will be the same, just smaller.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Just like the size and feel of the Walther, no imprint at all.

I have the PPS in 9MM, been carrying it for 6 months or so now. I also took LFI 1 with it, and used it to shoot the qualifier for the course. Overall I am quite pleased with it. Very easy to conceal, virtually no printing (and I am small, only 5'2"), lightweight enough that I sometimes forget it is there. Shoots very nice, in 9MM the recoil is very light, even for a a small, lightweight pistol. I have not shot it in .40, but based on the reading I have done on it, and the design that they put into the recoil spring, I suspect the .40 version will be just as nice. Overall, I find it a nice pistol that is a pleasure to shoot.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

The PPS is a really nice gun. My buddies wife carries it in 9mm. Nice and slim, nothing to snag on.

However, If im only going to have 5 or 6 rounds (i think thats what the two mags that come with the 40 are.) I'd rather have my GP100 .357. That way when I use my cylinder and 2 speed loaders, i can use it as a club.

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    I have the PPS in 9MM, been carrying it for 6 months or so now. I also took LFI 1 with it, and used it to shoot the qualifier for the course. Overall I am quite pleased with it. Very easy to conceal, virtually no printing (and I am small, only 5'2"), lightweight enough that I sometimes forget it is there. Shoots very nice, in 9MM the recoil is very light, even for a a small, lightweight pistol. I have not shot it in .40, but based on the reading I have done on it, and the design that they put into the recoil spring, I suspect the .40 version will be just as nice. Overall, I find it a nice pistol that is a pleasure to shoot.
    Just curious if you've had this come up. When the PPS first came out I was sincerely thinking I was going to get one. I liked the narrow profile, large trigger guard & mid-sized magazine cause I could get my pinky finger on it as well. But, when I got to try one out at a gun show, I found that since the mag extension runs all the way to the back of the grip, the bottom of my palm would overlap it just enough to prevent the mag from dropping out when released. This was a big red flag for me. Also I found that I didn't like the non-standard release location. I have run into a couple of others on other forums who had the same problem. I have concluded that hand size must affect it and I also suspect that using the large size backstrap might ease the problem by keeping the palm away from it. Anyway, I'm waiting for a single stack S&W M&P9C. Now that would really float my boat.
    Last edited by onetuza; December 21st, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Quote Originally Posted by onetuza View Post
    Just curious if you've had this come up. When the PPS first came out I was sincerely thinking I was going to get one. I liked the narrow profile, large trigger guard & mid-sized magazine cause I could get my pinky finger on it as well. But, when I got to try one out at a gun show, I found that since the mag extension runs all the way to the back of the grip, the bottom of my palm would overlap it just enough to prevent the mag from dropping out when released. This was a big red flag for me. Also I found that I didn't like the non-standard release location. I have run intro a couple of others on other forums who had the same problem. I have concluded that hand size must affect it and I also suspect that using the large size backstrap might ease the problem by keeping the palm away from it. Anyway, I'm waiting for a single stack S&W M&P9C. Now that would really float my boat.
    I don't find that my hand prevents the mag from dropping away, however, I have very small hands (from the base of my thumb, across the palm of my hand, is only about 3.5"). I find the location of the magazine release catch to actually be a "plus", as I have a hard time reaching the standard location thumb release on many pistols (Glocks and XD's among others). I use the small backstrap on my PPS. The M&P is a nice pistol. I looked real hard at them recently, as I was buying another pistol. It came down to the M&P and the Sig P250. I ended up going with the Sig, but it was a tough decision!
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

I had a 9mm PPS this summer and put nearly 1,000 rounds of 147-grain through it without any problems whatsoever with the gun itself. The only thing i was not able to get accustomed to was the very thin profile of the pistol and could not comfortably quick sight across the top of the very thin slide.
    "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." --Patrick Henry

Administrator
    I got to play with a T&E PPS in 9mm a few months back. I felt that it was very unrefined almost KelTec'ish in function. For the price Walther wants for it, I'd pass. If it was sold as a $300.00 pistol, it might be OK. ( I believe in a few years it will be)
    It did shoot OK, but it left a lot to be desired, again, it felt Keltec like, not like a top tier pistol that the price suggests it is.

If I carried a G23 for a duty pistol, the G27 would be a no brainer choice. If you just want something flat and thin, I'd take a good look at Kahr's line up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I got to play with a T&E PPS in 9mm a few months back. I felt that it was very unrefined almost KelTec'ish in function. For the price Walther wants for it, I'd pass. If it was sold as a $300.00 pistol, it might be OK. ( I believe in a few years it will be)
    +One............It is way overpriced........I can get a Sig for that....or a Glock & bunch of magazines......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    I found a like new 9mm PPS this fall. I have found it is a decent shooting gun. Until I got used to using it, the mag would hang up occasionally. It is a nice light recoiling , accurate gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a 9mm PPS for front pocket backup. It is used as a rotation gun for my S&W342PD. I have been carrying more that the S&W. I like the way it fits my hand, it comes up naturally to sight and it has not had ant issues in over 2100 rounds. It conceals better than my G26 or the G27 in my front pocket. It handles recoil better that the KT9 and feels better ( but slightly larger) - It is a very well made gun - I personally like it and trust it. I have not shot the 40.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Sponsored Links