Looking for first concealed carry gun...need help

This is a discussion on Looking for first concealed carry gun...need help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am leaning towards a PX4 sub compact but am a huge Sig fan. I live in Florida so it can't be to big because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for first concealed carry gun...need help

Question Looking for first concealed carry gun...need help

I am leaning towards a PX4 sub compact but am a huge Sig fan. I live in Florida so it can't be to big because we don't have layers to hide it with here..I would like a gun that I can shoot all I want, and not worry if it gets a big banged up and such and will take a lickin and kinda see what all the gun can take. Its not so easy to just "go to a range and shoot all the guns" down here. I do not know a single range that rents guns within 100 miles!

I would like to keep it below $700. I will be trading in my full size PX4 and Sig Mosquito in for this. Prefer 9mm also to save on ammo and increase capacity.

Here are the ones I seem to have narrowed it down to..Any opinions or thoughts? Thanks!

Beretta PX4 SC

6.2" long
    4.8" high
    1.2" width
    3" barrel
    26oz
    13 rounds of 9mm

Glock 26

6.29" long
    4.17" high
    1.18" wide
    5.6" barrel
    19oz

HK P2000sk

6.42" long
    4.61" high
    1.28" wide
    3.27" barrel
    22.4 oz
    10 round 9mm

Sig Sauer P239

6.6" long
    5.1" high
    1.2" wide
    3.6" barrel
    29 oz
    8 rounds 9mm

2. Remove Ads

Here is how I view them in my head

Beretta PX4: Beautiful gun. Very reputable company that has been around what 500 years? Very accurate for a subcompact. Smallest overall size. Polymer help keeps it light. Holds largest amount of ammo. Brand new gun, no real accessories or proven track record. Still costly and around $650.

Glock 26: Ugly gun. Very reputable. They are tanks and unbreakable. Least expensive of all guns. Wouldn't need to baby it at all and wouldnt mind if I dropped it and kicked it down the street LOL. Very blocky. Second smallest that I listed. Holds second most ammo. Endless parts, reviews and accessories. Cheapest cost involved period.

HK P2000: Another big name reputable company. Full metal gun. Feels so so in the hands. Quite a bit of reviews experience and parts for it. Pretty costly at around $700

Sig 239: My personal favorite gun company. Very familiar with my Sig 226. Decocker. Largest of all I listed. IMO every bit as reliable and able to be put through hell as the Glocks. Also quite costly at around $700. Holds least ammo.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Average prices:

HK P2000sk=$750
    Glock 26=$500
    Sig Sauer P239=$650
    Beretta PX4 SC=$550

Out of the ones you listed I've shot the H&K. It is a very accurate pistol and I would recommend it to you. I'm pretty familiar with Glocks (I own a Glock 19) and, if you decide to get a Glock I recommend the Glock 19 even though you have a G-26 listed. The Glock 19 have a bit more firepower than the G-26, but both are great pistols and easily concealable.

The other pistols you've listed I do not have any experience with them so I can't help much.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Don't own any of them but have shot all but the H&K P2000.

A friend has a full sized PX 4 and I really like it. The PX 4 or the SIG would be my choice of the four mentioned. You're already familiar with the PX 4 which is a plus.

I have a Sig 226 Equinox also :)

I would go with the G26 myself. It's my EDC and you stated you wanted a gun that you didn't have to "baby". Well, Glocks were made to do one thing and one thing only and that's shoot. They weren't created to be pretty so it will never be a safe queen. Carry it and carry it hard and it will always be ready to go for you. 10 +1 is a lot of firepower and I sure have never felt inadequately armed. Whatever you get I would make sure and get night sights as the "bad things" tend to happen after dark. Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

If you are considering the Glock 26, there's also the...

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

6.7" overall length
    4.3" overall height
    1.2" frame width
    1.08" slide width
    1.17"/1.28"/1.39" grip width (small/medium/large grip insert)
    3.5" barrel
    21.7oz (without mag)
    12 + 1 rounds of 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    Here is how I view them in my head

Beretta PX4: Beautiful gun. Very reputable company that has been around what 500 years? Very accurate for a subcompact. Smallest overall size. Polymer help keeps it light. Holds largest amount of ammo. Brand new gun, no real accessories or proven track record. Still costly and around $650.

Glock 26: Ugly gun. Very reputable. They are tanks and unbreakable. Least expensive of all guns. Wouldn't need to baby it at all and wouldnt mind if I dropped it and kicked it down the street LOL. Very blocky. Second smallest that I listed. Holds second most ammo. Endless parts, reviews and accessories. Cheapest cost involved period.

HK P2000: Another big name reputable company. Full metal gun. Feels so so in the hands. Quite a bit of reviews experience and parts for it. Pretty costly at around $700

Sig 239: My personal favorite gun company. Very familiar with my Sig 226. Decocker. Largest of all I listed. IMO every bit as reliable and able to be put through hell as the Glocks. Also quite costly at around $700. Holds least ammo.
    I think you've found the answer to your questions in the Glock-26.
    Around these parts your price will probably be closer to $560...where do you shop? (I'm your neighbor and a Gator fan, also! I'm right down Newberry Rd.)
    My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP, and I prefer the 1911 platform...that was until I picked up the G-36. The 36 was my intro to Glocks. Up until that point, I thought Glocks looked and felt like 'bricks'.
    After the Glock-36, I bought the Glock-26 (trying to make it my wife's sidearm...another long story).
    You'll find that the G-26 is the perfect, dependable, easy to clean, cheaper to shoot, safe but ugly sidearm...you'll get over the 'ugly' very quickly after you find out how dependable they will be...

Take care neighbor...

Stay armed...Go Gators!...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    All four of your choices are top notch CCWs. Which ever you select you'll have a quality winner. My personal choice is the HK P2000sk. When retiring a long time CCW a few years ago, I did take the time to examine and shoot as many candidates as possible and the HK stood out as the softest shooting, most natural fit for my hand (and it's adjustable), and I was accurate and reliable right out of the box.

The Beretta wasn't around then.

The glock is a fine gun, but I don't like the grip or take down much.

The Sig P239 just doesn't sit in my hand as well as other guns and held fewer rounds.

In the three years I've carried it the HK has proven to be reliable and to my surprise it is a capable range gun, that I can shoot all day...something I didn't expect for a small gun.

I would offer one other suggestion, the gun I'd choose if the HK was out of action, and that is the Walther P99c. Very similar in every way that counts to the HK. I rate the HK as a 10, the walther as a 9, the Glock and Sig as a 7 and the Beretta, based on reputation, only a 7 or better.
    Last edited by ripley16; December 20th, 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Glock for the ultimate in ruggedness and reliability or the SIG for the famliarity and reliability. Plus every thing I hear about the Sig says it is CREEPY accurate.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

In order
    #1 Glock 26
    #2 Sig P239
    #3 Beretta PX4

Never handled or shot the HK, no comment good or bad
    but the reputation is good.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I think you've found the answer to your questions in the Glock-26.
    Around these parts your price will probably be closer to $560...where do you shop? (I'm your neighbor and a Gator fan, also! I'm right down Newberry Rd.)
    My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP, and I prefer the 1911 platform...that was until I picked up the G-36. The 36 was my intro to Glocks. Up until that point, I thought Glocks looked and felt like 'bricks'.
    After the Glock-36, I bought the Glock-26 (trying to make it my wife's sidearm...another long story).
    You'll find that the G-26 is the perfect, dependable, easy to clean, cheaper to shoot, safe but ugly sidearm...you'll get over the 'ugly' very quickly after you find out how dependable they will be...

Take care neighbor...

Stay armed...Go Gators!...stay safe!
    I live in Port Saint Lucie. I am headed to Melbourne to "Ammo Attic" on Whickam Road to check out what they have. Monday I am headed to Shoot Straight in Apopka. Heard a lot of good things about that place.

Go Gators!

If you are a "huge fan of Sig" and they are your "favorite company", go with a P239. A CPO [certified pre-owned],with warranty, or a good used P239 can be found for substantially less than $700.

Did you consider the Springfield XD9 Subcompact? Or has that one been eliminated from your list?

Do a Poll... if you want to get the overall impressions.

PX4 Beretta sub-compacts have been around and have great reviews, as they have had an LEO version out there for awhile now and have really liked them. It's just now being sold to the public, is the only difference.

I have one and it shoots great. Size, it is not that different from Springfield XD subcompact. It is a thicker gun (like an XD, Glock, etc) .... but I have no issues concealing it. In fact, it seems easier to conceal for some reason. It's no thicker than a Glock, etc. that's for sure. Ergonomics are better. It's well made and I think would take quite a beating. I've been carrying it more and more and more... and I think the quality is much better than the Glocks.

If you want thinner for concealment... then the Kahr 9, or EMP, or similar gun is easier. They also carry about 4 less shots. What you gain in one area, you lose in another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links