Springfield Micro

Springfield Micro

This is a discussion on Springfield Micro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys i found a used Springfield Micro compact at a local pawn shop for 600.00 I saying its about 75 to 80% condition. ive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Micro

Springfield Micro

Hey guys i found a used Springfield Micro compact at a local pawn shop for 600.00 I saying its about 75 to 80% condition. ive been looking for a compact 1911. should i buy it, or keep saving my pennies for that kimber i want. the good thing is they have layway. i know alot of yall are anti 3" 1911, im still gonna buy one!! already have a fullsize 1911.

Thanks Joe

Save your pennies for the KIMBER!

Depends, do you prefer tomato soup or steak for a good meal?

I'd wait for the Kimber...

Stay armed...with Mr. Kimber...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Ooh, and yet the Kimbers have fallen from favor on many other boards (and Springfields now rule this discussion there). Reality? Depends on your perspective.

First question, is it a "Loaded" model? That will make a difference (these have the carry bevel treatment, night sights, beavertail grip safety and Ambi. extended safties).

Next up, does Springfield transfer their warranty with the gun? I honestly don't know the answer here, but for some reason I think they might. Worth knowing, because they offer a lifetime warranty, and stand behind it well (even covering shipping both ways). Also important because it is possible someone sold it because it became problematic (happens more often with the 3 inch than 4 inch plus). So if the warranty is good, you'd have the option to have Springfield make it right, which they can and will do for free.

I've had my lightweight Micro Compact Loaded model back to them once. It's run great since. Yeah, I've got a (full size) Kimber too.

Ultimately, if you really want the Kimber, just get that. You'll still want it after you get the Springfield.

JMHO
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

+1 on T Bone's post. I have a SA Micro Compact, no complaints here. If it's a GI or Mil-Spec model, that's a little high price, but for any of the other models that's a good deal if it is in good shape.

I've got a Kimber too, there great!, but nothing wrong with SA.

Springfield, does transfer their warranty. When I sold my Xd, I called customer service and asked, and they said it was transferable. Springfield also have some of the best customer service reps out there. Kimber, from what I have been told by quite a few dealers has less than stellar customer service people. Kimber also only gives one year warranty. Springfield is for the life of the gun. I don't own either, but I have heard more gun problem stories, and more customer service horror stories about Kimber than I have heard about Springfield. I was actually looking at Kimber, Colt and Springfield 1911s when I was shopping for my new EDC. I ended up going Colt, but after doing much research, I was leaning toward Springfield over Kimber. Kimbers sure are pretty though. Like I said I don't own either, but have dealt with the Springfield people, and have nothing but praise for them.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

My EDC is a Springer Micro black and stainless loaded - not only does it shoot very well but it looks great too!!

I have never owned a Kimber - I have had several Colts, Taurus, Llama, etc... I love my springer

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Springfield, does transfer their warranty. When I sold my Xd, I called customer service and asked, and they said it was transferable. ...
    Interesting, as XD warranty reads "for the lifetime of the original retail purchaser"..

- OS

I have a Light weight micro compact, purchased used at a gun show. Had some problems with feeding issues, contacted Springfield, they paid shipping both ways and repaired the gun. Turnaround time was 9 days. Springfield is a top notch company with a top notch product.
    I have no personal experience with Kimber. I don't own any and have never fired any.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

+1 on Springfield service. The only question they asked me was for the serial number then I was sent a mailing label and a 10 day turnaround. I was not the original owner and I was not asked.

I have the Springer 9mm EMP and I couldn't be happier. The Loaded is a top quality gun; I'd go for that.
    The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength and strength alone!--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Go with the Springer! I've owned just about every brand made, including a few Kimbers, If you want accuracy,and reliability with factory warranty for the life of the gun there is no other real choice unless, you want to spend a BUNCH of your hard-earned dollars on a full custom job.

IMHO all the B.S. you read on the internet about reliability problems with 3" 1911s is just that---B.S.! Think about it for a while and you will realize that the slide has to move the same distance in all of them. No reason for a 3" not to work just as well as any.

Kimbers are certainly pretty firearms and somewhere there must be some that function like they are supposed to, but my experience with the company has been dismal at best.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    IMHO all the B.S. you read on the internet about reliability problems with 3" 1911s is just that---B.S.! Think about it for a while and you will realize that the slide has to move the same distance in all of them. No reason for a 3" not to work just as well as any.
    That's a whole 'nother thread altogether. But it's not total B.S., it's not so much about slide movement, it's about geometry of locking and unlocking with the short barrel (it is quite different), in addition too having less over travel of the slide. But they can be made to work, just more prone to being finicky.

Moot point anyway, if you recall the OP stated
    i know alot of yall are anti 3" 1911, im still gonna buy one!! already have a fullsize 1911.
    And I have one too. And it works (did have to have SA work it once over though).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    Interesting, as XD warranty reads "for the lifetime of the original retail purchaser"..

- OS
    I called and asked customer service and just relaying what I was told. I have also heard of people sending firearms back to springer, and they never asked for any proof of purchase, or any documentation other than the serial number.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I have a 2004 SA Stainless micro-compact for my daily carry (I bought it used last year for $550 out the door). Before I bought it, I called Springfield service to identify the build date and to confirm that they would stand behind the lifetime warranty even for a 2nd owner (They said they would as long as the gun had not been altered). Long story short, this is my experience:
    1) It initially had a minor problem with the guide rod (on the dual recoil spring assembley) loosening a bit after 50 rounds or so. When I called Springfield service they gave me the choice of sending the gun back for service (at their expense), or sending me a new recoil assembley. I received the new assembley 5 days later, put it in the gun, and it has been perfect ever since.
    2) With the factory magizines, it had an occasional fail to feed on the last round. I replaced the magazines with Wilson Combat mags, and have not experienced the problem since (nearly a year).
    Bottom line, I highly recommend the micro-compact (and Springfield service ). IMHO the bad rap that the 3" barrel 1911's get on feeding issues is a bit over hyped. Good luck with your decision!
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links