1911 questions

This is a discussion on 1911 questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a 1911 newbie and have been running in circles trying to locate good information about the pistol. I've enjoyed time at the range with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 questions

1911 questions

I'm a 1911 newbie and have been running in circles trying to locate good information about the pistol. I've enjoyed time at the range with my grandfather's Auto-Ordnance WW2 GI model, but I really don't know much about different models, customization, aftermarket parts, etc.

To make matters worse, the rivalry between the 'Cult of 1911' and everyone else really clouds otherwise good discussions. Throw in the mil-spec vs. custom crowds and things can get downright frustrating.

Does anyone know of a 1911 FAQ somewhere on the web? M1911.org and 1911forum.com are good sites, but fairly cluttered and somewhat time-consuming to browse. What I'd like to read up on at the moment is the running debate concerning hammers, safeties, triggers, guide rods, and the like. Any info would be much appreciated.
    SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Proud member NRA, GOA, VCDL

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am not the 1911 afficionado here but I just remembered I have some TXT files I snagged from posts on THR - I'll try and attach them for you - because they may well provide some useful info. They are just copied from board mainly.

On THR ( http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php ) - if you go browse and search in the autoloaders forum you can search for 1911 and find a whole heap of info - more than you'll digest I suspect - but also may find some good links too. 1911 Tuner there is a mine of info - and he helped me out with a small job on my hammer and disconnect etc some while back.
    Attached Files
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Research needed

It's all out there you just have to dig in and do some research.
    Do a search in the forums on 1911s. or search Google.

It also really depends just what 1911 you plan on working with. They use many different parts. The small 3" 1911s have a much different recoil spring system then the 4" and 5" 1911s

You can find lots of custom 1911 parts from Wilson Combat and Ed Brown just and example of many places selling custom 1911 parts.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    imho in 1911s less is more, ( the less ya hang off the poor pistol the better off you are ) sights , trigger tune , and polish is about all they normaly need but try http://www.sightm1911.com/1911.htm for some good articles ( its a starting point anyway )

Assistant Administrator
    The are are a few more -

Odd tho - some I added which showed as uploaded are not showing. I may try and add them again later. Only small files.
    Attached Files
    Chris - P95

Basically your gonna have to search or ask here .

There are a lot of 1911 guys on this forum to who can probley answer what you want to know.

Ill offer what i can also A lot of the mods to a 1911 are personal preferance

like Ambi safety i have to have it im a lefty.

Beavertail i prefer it as i got big hands, With beavertail ya have to use a commander style hammer.

Guide Rod throw um in garbage as far as i care.

As for parts i prefer Ed brown or Wilson, EGW makes nice Firing pin stops and bushings, Nowlin makes decent trigger Kits.

Assistant Administrator
    Happy Gunner kindly pointed something out to me - these files are NOT for ''immediate use'' - as much as something to tuck away for possible future reference. Apologies if I made it seem as tho they are ''essential''!!

Indeed in early days much is best left well alone, but within one or two of these files is also some useful advice re problems and gen info. Read and pick out what may be useful, that's all.

So - they are ''FYI'' category
    Chris - P95

Chris is posting 1911tuners mods and fixs all go stuff to have

Aught Six,

5 months ago, I was in the same place where you are now. I was frustrated, and overwhelmed myself. I didnt have a hard time finding info. I had a hard time sorting it all out.

The best advice I can give is to get a quality 1911 withought the bells and whistles. Then shoot a few hundred rounds!!!

These guns need hundreds of rounds to "break-in". It gives you time to decide if you realy do need some bells&whistles. If a problem comes up, dont be afraid to ask. There is alot of very freindly, helpfull people here. The two other forums are great also.

No need waisting time doing reserch for a problem that hasnt happened yet. You can drive yourself crazy that way.

Buy quality, Buy once!

Build quality, Build once!

Wait until you know what your are talking about and looking at inside and out before buying a 1911 is the best advice I can give you. Read, read and read. The 1911 forum is LOADED with information on 1911's.

I would bet that a question that you are wanting to know has been asked multiple times on that forum with very good and exact info given from the forum members to your problem or question.

Heck by all means ask your questions here. In your post you don't have a specific question that I can answer so I am offering advice to you at this time.

I would slow down a little and take your time to learn all you can and ask questions anytime you need or want to.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Here are the two main sites I've found:

http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

http://www.1911forum.com/

check out this sight.
    http://www.sightm1911.com/

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions. A 1911 is second or third on my gun list, but I'm just going to pick up a SA Mil-Spec. I consider it, for lack of a better term, a "semi-recreational large bore", often used for plinking, but always ready for business if the need be. I'm not sure if I would want to make a hobby out of it in the first place, but I'm open to it once I get the proper information and know-how. It is a fascinating autoloader--that is for certain.

Again, thanks! This beats sifting through 50 pages of Google results.
    SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Proud member NRA, GOA, VCDL

Lead Moderator

Good choice with the SA mil-spec

Most "smiths" Ive talked to say that they think the SA Mil-spec or G.I. is there favored platform, when making a custom 1911.

SA is also a good choice for 1911 noobs like us. Because of there great warenty. My SA 1911 is a G.I., and it had several problems. After 2 months of trying everything I could think of to fix it. I broke down and sent it back to SA. After a 2 week turn around, I got my gun back. It has'nt let me down since.
    The 2 months of farting around, wasnt a waist at all. I spent all of my free time doing a "2month 1911 education crash corse". Wich gave me a real apreciation for 1911's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links