Thinking about going over to the dark side...

This is a discussion on Thinking about going over to the dark side... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Local pawn shop has 1 each P228, P226 and P225 in 9mm. Best price I can get for any/all of the three is $600 out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going over to the dark side...

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Thinking about going over to the dark side...

Local pawn shop has 1 each P228, P226 and P225 in 9mm.

Best price I can get for any/all of the three is $600 out the door.
    Each comes with full kit, case & 3 mags. P226 mags are all x15.

1. Haven't heard much about P225. Older version? Seems similar to 228... yes?

2. Is 226 that much bigger/ harder to conceal? The size difference doesn't seem to be much...

I plan to CC whichever of these I get, if any.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

226 doesnt seem that big ive played with one a bit the 229 is about 228 size little difference in weight.

225 is shade smaller than 226 earlyer version

Go here to read up on them

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg56-e.htm

Assistant Administrator
    Main obvious difference in 226 and 228 is barrel length and a slight grip size reduction with the latter - I can't get 228 mags into the 226 but other way round works. My 226 is the ST so noticeably heavier.

To shoot the 228 tho feels very similar to the 226 - and so I find them almost interchangeable - only weight difference is obvious.

I am not up on the 225 at all.

Pics for comparison of 226 and 228 -- sorry but scale not quite matching so differences harder to see. If you wish I'll take a new pic of both in same shot.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    IMO you can't go wrong with any of them. The 228 and 226 use the same holster, which is nice since I have both and carry both. The other advantage for me is that the P220 in 45 uses the same holster. All conceal about the same for me, although I don't have the 225. The P225 should be slightly easier to conceal as they are smaller and slightly flatter than the P220/226/228 frame sizes.

P225s are sought after by some because the single stack mags mean a smaller grip for smaller hands. I do not like this grip so I never bought one.

A new P226 in 40 S&W with 2 mags will set you back over $800 today. However if these are used it would depend on condition and options as to whether or not I would snag one for $600

-Scott-

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Chris

Thanks for the pics. I've put all 3 side by side on the top of the case at the shop, handled and dry-fired all 3. While there is some slight visual difference, as you say, they feel virtually identical. Not sure I could tell which was which with my eyes closed.

I guess I can't wrap my head around the idea of a service-size pistol for CC. It would seem from what you and others have said that if I do go full size, Sig is the way to do it... and I really want that 15 rnd cap.

Bud

Thanks for the link. Lots of good background info on lots of guns. Just stuck it in my faves.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    Tank - if at all possible I would recommend service size for CC - if concealment gear will suffice then you will have a much better weapon on hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forget to mention (remind) don't forget CDNN re the Police trade-ins - seems there are some stellar deals on SIG's at times and IIRC they can be in region of $450. Some folks have gone that route and reckoned what they got was little used, even if showing some external wear.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You welcome for the link one of the best info sources out there..Sigs are good guns and if your happy with the controls go for um id buy all 3 just for heck of it

i carry a Fullsize 1911 or as of late glock 17 or 20 so a service size can be carried quite comfortably

Tank
    I have the 228 and the 226.........BOTH guns are mighty fine weapons, with the 228 being slighlty smaller than the 226..........If it's money wise........the 228 is scarce and holds value more than the 226........Secial Ops Units are currently using both weapons platforms..Lotta $$ for the 226........... and offer him 500.00 to 550.00 for the 228........
    As for the 225........it's the same size as the 228............just a single stack gun........they curently sell around 500.00 for it.....only a 9 shot gun, BUT, if it's conceilability,, you only have 4 more round with the 228 in your belt........so with that..........it's a toss up......The 226 might fit you better as it's a 15 shooter........just larger...........Overlay them, and compare sizes,
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lead Moderator
    DARK SIDE????

Any one of the three should do what ever you want. For CC I think I'd look at the 228 first, it is a nice "middle" of the three.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Funny thing, I'm developing a serious lust for this "new" P239 SAS version in DAK. That is one sweeeeet 40! A little bigger, perhaps than my Glock M27, but it feels very nice in my hands. I guess though that the mag capacity tops out around 8 or 9? Or more?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Funny thing, I'm developing a serious lust for this "new" P239 SAS version in DAK. That is one sweeeeet 40! A little bigger, perhaps than my Glock M27, but it feels very nice in my hands. I guess though that the mag capacity tops out around 8 or 9? Or more?
    The SAS 40 cal tops out at 8 rounds...........we have a few in stock, about 949.00 new............have one used <ANIB> for 695.00... kinda loose though <slide rattles>
    They have the full melt-down treatment too Two-tone guns in the DAK configuration
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

949$ for 8 rounds of 40 I think not.. Im taking it this is a limited model or something?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Funny thing, I'm developing a serious lust for this "new" P239 SAS version in DAK.
    I've got a "regular" 239, but have been gazing lovingly at the P229 SAS...... Which I'd want to swap out to 357 SIG using a factory drop in barrel.
    Rick

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    have one used <ANIB> for 695.00... kinda loose though <slide rattles>
    The slide on my 239 has a bit of a rattle, and came that way new. Everyone I've talked to (and SIG Forum) all say that isn't a problem. And, since my 239 seems to put'em where I point'em, I'm not complaining!
    Rick

Unhappy $950 IS a lot of clams....

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    949$ for 8 rounds of 40 I think not.. Im taking it this is a limited model or something?
    Yeah it's a "special" alright. Maybe somebody can post a pic?

And I'm not sure I want to pop $950 smackers for 8rds either. Especially when I already have 9, 10, 13, & 15rds in my Glock M27 with standard, +1 extension, +4 (M23 mag with spacer) & +6 (M22 mag)
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links