Which Trigger System Do You Prefer

This is a discussion on Which Trigger System Do You Prefer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in hearing others' opinions and experiences with a few manufacturer trigger systems. A couple years ago I had a XD subcompact .40 ...

View Poll Results: Which trigger system do you prefer?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock

25 29.41%
  • Springfield XD

13 15.29%
  • S&W M&P

9 10.59%
  • Other

38 44.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am interested in hearing others' opinions and experiences with a few manufacturer trigger systems. A couple years ago I had a XD subcompact .40 and liked the fully cocked striker of this system but did not like the longer trigger reset compared to Glock and did not particularly care for the safety bar on the grip. I prefer a bare textured grip.

Yesterday I tried out the S&W M&P at the local shop and did not particularly care for the pivoting trigger; it felt unnatural.

I am partial to the Glock trigger system with the very short reset and like the idea of simply swapping out the stock 5.5 pound connector for the polished 3.5 pound connector too.

I would really like a Glock/XD hybrid trigger system...fully cocked striker of the XD with the very short reset of the Glock and without the grip safety bar.

Sorry, I have to exlude 1911's because I don't feel comfortable and confident with having to disengage a manual safety in a quick reaction self defense shooting scenario.
    "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." --Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    If forced to choose only from your three options I'd go with the Springfield.

They all feel spongy to me but the XD seems to have the cleanest break.

That being said, I'll still take a 1911 over any of the above when it comes to trigger.

1911=Other
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    If forced to choose only from your three options I'd go with the Springfield.

They all feel spongy to me but the XD seems to have the cleanest break.

That being said, I'll still take a 1911 over any of the above when it comes to trigger.

There are many other options (HK LEM, Para LDA, etc, etc.) too, not trying to make the thead so limited; I had only listed the ones that I had hands-on experience with....I never touched a Para LDA, or HK LEM system, etc, etc.
    "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." --Patrick Henry

Sorry, I have to exlude 1911's because I don't feel comfortable and confident with having to disengage a manual safety in a quick reaction self defense shooting scenario.
    I voted other as well for Para 1911 with LDA Trigger. Although I would prefer a nice single action trigger if shooting competition.

For a self defense option (when \ if it becomes legal in my country) I like the long and light pull of the LDA which some people liken to a finely tuned revolver trigger.

Ive shot SA Only, DA Only, DA\SA and also Glocks, but for some reason when directly comparing the trigger to the LDA, the LDA trigger just feels better.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by glocker23 View Post
    So carry it disengaged. It still has the grip safety, making it more secure than your other choices.

I carry an engaged 1911, it takes no more practice than shooting pheasants with your Remington on Safe.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Have you looked at Sigs SRT setup?
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

Senior Moderator
    So carry it disengaged. It still has the grip safety, making it more secure than your other choices.
    If properly trained, there is no reason to disengage the safety.

When the gun is drawn and brought on target the safety is snicked off right before you shoot. Practice enough and it will be done without consious thought.

I shoot steel plates for time, and not once has the safety ever hindered me...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CCRIDER View Post
    Have you looked at Sigs SRT setup?
    Only read about it, haven't been able to get my hands on one though to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If properly trained, there is no reason to disengage the safety.

When the gun is drawn and brought on target the safety is snicked off right before you shoot. Practice enough and it will be done without consious thought.

I shoot steel plates for time, and not once has the safety ever hindered me...
    I won't carry a 1911 with the manual safety disengaged. I am familiar with them, I own Springfield's GI .45 model. I realize that training is everything, but I have felt uncomfortable with carrying a manual safety after watching a video of a jewerly store robbery and the owner had a split second to react and did not flick off the manual safety while attempting to shoot the bg.

The trigger on the M&P 40c gets much better once you put some rounds through it. Ive only had mine for a few weeks, but after about 600 rounds the trigger is much smoother and my accuracy improved quickly. I think the more rounds it sees the better the trigger becomes. I would think that if your local range had M&Ps for you to try the triggers would be broken in and you could see for yourself what I mean.

1911 for me, sweet trigger, and yes safety is on. Carry every day.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

"I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

I'm with limatunes. I haven't tried the M&P, but have shot Glocks enough to know that I prefer the XD trigger, among your choices.

But I carry and train with my 1911 (mostly dry fire, what with the cold and snow out there). Nothin' beats a good 1911 trigger.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

I like the 1911 single action trigger best, but of the above choices I picked Glock for the shorter reset than the XD or M&P.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links