HK USP 40C question

HK USP 40C question

This is a discussion on HK USP 40C question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for my first carry gun. Like many others here, I've agonized over it and probably made a bigger deal of it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK USP 40C question

HK USP 40C question

I'm in the market for my first carry gun. Like many others here, I've agonized over it and probably made a bigger deal of it than necessary. I narrowed it down to the M&P 40c, Sig P239, XD 40SC, Kimber Ultras, and the Kahr PM40. Fortunately, I've been able to handle and shoot all those guns and they're all great. I won't get into the particulars because they've all been discussed here, but I love the Sigs. I have an Astra A-100 (Sig knockoff) that I like, too, and plan on getting a Sig P229 elite stainless (thanks to the other thread!!) for the house.

I'm leaning heavily to the P239, although I think it's a touch nose-heavy. However, I'm starting to think about the USP 40C. Haven't shot it, but I've fondled it and like it. My question is purely semantics...I'm an airline pilot and can get a good deal on the USP 40C LEM.

Is the "LEM" the same thing as the HK USP 40 compact on the HK website? I'm pretty sure the FFDO airline pilot deal limits you to the Law Enforcement Model, but I think it's the same gun that's on their website as the USP 40C. Thanks!

Heckler&Koch

The LEM conversion does not have safety/decocker lever.
    HK45c V1

Lead Moderator
    The "LEM" option is the double action only trigger group. I found the HK USPc is nearly as big as the full size USP, however with a decent holster should be easily concealed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Agree with both posts and you can't go wrong with either Sig or H&K. Will point out that Glock has essentially the same deal.

Rick

"LEM" Has nothing to do with law enforcemnt other than it is a true dual action only trigger. This means that it will have a heavier trigger pull every time. You should be able to chose any variant you want which HK has several for each model of their guns. Personally I prefer the V1 which is SA/DA with the decocker.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
    "LEM" Has nothing to do with law enforcemnt other than it is a true dual action only trigger. This means that it will have a heavier trigger pull every time. You should be able to chose any variant you want which HK has several for each model of their guns. Personally I prefer the V1 which is SA/DA with the decocker.

Adam
    Yes it's a DAO trigger, but it reduces the weight of the trigger pull.
    HK45c V1

Quote Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
    "LEM" Has nothing to do with law enforcemnt other than it is a true dual action only trigger. This means that it will have a heavier trigger pull every time.
    LEM means Law Enforcement Modification. It is absolutely NOT a heavier pull everytime. In fact, you would carry with a round in the chamber. The trigger pull is identical since (although there is no hammer to grab) the slide has already been racked and the gun is ready to fire. No safety to forget to disengage. No decocker as none is needed. The trigger pull is longish until you reach the "hot spot" but the action is crisp. The reset is short and distinct for excellent followup shots. Trigger weight is constant for every shot. My USP .45 and P2000SK .40 are both LEM with the lighter springs, making a 4.5# trigger for both. Superb trigger design!

Contrary to how the LEM was described earlier, it is not a double action only trigger. While you can drop the hammer on an unloaded LEM HK by simply pulling (a very heavy) trigger, there would never be a round in the chamber. You would insert a loaded magazine into the pistol, rack the slide (which inserts a round into firing position and cocks the hammer), then pull what is much closer to a SA-weight trigger.

To accurately simulate the feel of a LEM trigger with an unloaded LEM HK at the gun store, you need to rack the slide EACH time you pull the trigger before you drop the hammer. To feel the reset, just hold the trigger fully depressed and rack the slide again. Now slowly release the trigger until you feel it "click" at the point where the trigger will drop the hammer again. NEVER play with an HK LEM pistol like it is a double action handgun as that completely misrepresents the trigger system's behavior.

USP 40c fan...

I have the USP 40c and would recommend it as a reliable and sturdy gun. Mine has been quite accurate for me, and is the DA/SA design, which I like. Although some say the gun is bulky, if you put it next to a Glock 23 and measure the dimensions and weight, you will find it almost identical in size.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have the USP 40c. If I were buying today, I would get the M&P. It's just as accurate. The ergonomics are better. It has a standard light rail. And is has a consistent DOA trigger pull. I carry H&K daily and I'm not going to replace it. My agency has T&E M&P's and we've shot over 10,000 rounds through them without cleaning them and they just keep going. The M&P is also cheaper. Also, getting parts for the H&K is a chore if you need them. The floorplates on the compacts crack if you happen to drop a full magazine.

I know it sounds like I don't care for the H&K, but i really do. I'm not replacing it with an M&P, which I am authorized to carry. Instead, I'm buying the M&P 45.

The good news, DWill, is that you almost never need parts for an HK.

Out of the box, they're 'combat accurate'--about like a GLOCK, no big shakes. Don't expect to go win a bullseye match unless it's a USP 45. I have a USP in every caliber.

My .40 broke a trigger bar at a USPSA match. Any other gun would have been in the dead cockroach position on stage 1. I didn't know it, I just knew that the trigger was rough, raspy, and HARD. It shot 100 rounds in 5 further stages, getting progressively worse, but not stopping. The gun went in to HK and I had it back with a complete factory refurb at no cost in 8 days. No kidding, I was in shock.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Step up 1 more step and get a USPc 45. I got one about 6 weeks ago. I was surprised how mild the recoil is for a 45. Great gun. It's my new carry gun!

My 2 cents......
    My first carry gun was an HK USP40C. The quality, accuracy, and reliability was perfect. The downside is that it's a little bulky and after a year or so I found myself looking for something smaller, thinner, lighter etc.
    I kick myself today for selling it! I eventually alternated between carrying a Glock 23 and a Kimber Pro Carry. I'm not a big Glock fan but the 23 seemed to be the perfect balance between size and caliber, it was easy to clean and totally reliable.

One more thing.......Maybe it's my age or how I was trained years ago in the military, but I still haven't completly accepted the whole safety in the trigger thing that all gun makers have gone to. Almost seems like if you're gonna put it there why bother at all!

I got the HK USPc through my airline. It's a great carry weapon. Reliable, accurate and the price they offer is awesome.

Anyone have info on the Glocks? Do they offer the same discount for pilots? If so, what model(s)?

Roy, GLOCK does have a program for first responders--EMT, firefighters, etc. Pilots may be included with that, so call them up! You do have to go through an authorized dealer, but it's about $100 off!

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links