Ejection Problem with my Charter Arms Revolver

This is a discussion on Ejection Problem with my Charter Arms Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Charter Arms revolver that doesn't always eject shells properly, or sometimes at all, so I thought I would solicit your feedback and ...

I have a Charter Arms revolver that doesn't always eject shells properly, or sometimes at all, so I thought I would solicit your feedback and comments.

One of the first times I shot my revolver the shells would not eject, and at that time, the guy behind the desk at the shooting range said I was using less than quality bullets. He actually gave me a box of higher caliber bullets and the gun thereafter ejected the bullets just fine. We have since bought higher quality shells.

Today, it happened again. This time, however, one bullet actually jammed so tightly that I had to get the buy behind the desk to get it out for me. He said that I shouldn't be using aluminum shells. This guy also said that I will start having problems as my gun gets dirtier and so I should always use brass. What is the general opinion out there about this?

Administrator
    Sounds like the guy behind the counter is correct. Alum. casings will expand or swell a little more than brass, causing the casings to stick. Also, a clean chamber will help matters as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Aluminum

Some guns dont like the aluminum Blazer ammo. Possibly yours is one of them. It wouldn't be unusual. It's also normal for it to get harder to extract as dirt and grunge build up. With quality ammo, you shold be able to get through at least a couple of boxes before you have problems. A local gunsmith should be able to help if there is a rough chamber binding the works up, or send it back to Charter. They have great customer service. Needless to say, it should be reliable with any ammo you might use for defense, a premium JHP I would imagine. IF not, send it right back. Sometimes cheap ammo is not a bargain, but the defense stuff is normally worth the price.

VIP Member
    I stopped using Blazer for target practice with my Charter Arms Bulldog because I had to use a wooden dowel to get the empties out. The aluminum shell cases expanded too much and would not come out until they cooled down. I have not had any fail to eject with good brass cases. Even inexpensive ammo like Winchester White Box from Walmart or Remington UMC is no problem because of the brass case.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    A local gun-smith can polish the chambers for you and that should pretty much eliminate your problem.

When a cartridge case expands and fills the chamber it "fire forms" itself into any roughness or machine marks that may be in the cylinder chamber and that is how it gets stuck and will refuse to eject.

If you ever need to do a quick defensive reload you'll need your gun to be operating properly.

It should not cost much to have your chambers polished as it's a fairly simple operation.

Also Nickel Plated Brass cases have less tendency to stick and you can try using those for self-defense purposes.

Blazer .357 alum case "sticks" in my Ruger SP101. Not so tight that it's a prob, just have to hit ejector rod firmer.

Clean the gun as normal, making sure cylinders are clean.
    Shoot various brass cased only loads and see. That's likely all it is.
    Blazer makes a brass cased 9mm, I guess in other calibers too, btw.

Don't make it into a problem unless there IS a problem.

- OS
    Last edited by OhShoot; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add'l info

Thanks for the feedback all. My husband cleans my gun after every shooting session and we have talked about the brass casing shells since this incident yesterday. We bought some Remington aluminums not realizing that's what we were buying since there's no indication on the box. It's brass from now on.

i would polish the chambers and stop using blazer ammo. it should not take must on the polishing the chambers. just give it some f&b. after you do the chamber work it might shoot blazer ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

What caliber is your Charter? The ejection rod on my .327 was a bit on the sticky side and wouldn't initially work smoothly either. I just had to hit it with a bit or Rem Oil and pushed the ejector rod about 20 times to loosen it up and now it works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i would polish the chambers and stop using blazer ammo. it should not take must on the polishing the chambers. just give it some f&b. after you do the chamber work it might shoot blazer ammo.
    Harleygirl is shooting Remington Express 158 gr. lead RN for range practice. We stayed away from Blazer. I didn't know R-P had aluminum cases, so are they nickel or something?

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    Harleygirl is shooting Remington Express 158 gr. lead RN for range practice. We stayed away from Blazer. I didn't know R-P had aluminum cases, so are they nickel or something?
    Was the case shiny or dull in appearance? If it was dull, it was aluminum. If it was shiny, it was nickel. I'm doubting it was nickel, they send to save those for the premium ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Doesn't sound like this is your problem, but FWIW I wrecked my first handgun (charter arms snubbie) by putting +p in it. I didn't know mothing and when the guy asked me if I wanted +p or regular, I asked him the difference. He said +p was stronger and I figured I wanted that. It didn't take long before getting cases out was tough, and in less than 2 boxes (yeah, I kept shooting. I was 19 and ignorant) I couldn't get the cylinder open. I can't remember the details of what the smith said, but the lesson was that more power isn't always good. Especially if the gun isn't made for it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleygirl View Post
    I have a Charter Arms revolver that doesn't always eject shells properly, or sometimes at all, so I thought I would solicit your feedback and comments.

One of the first times I shot my revolver the shells would not eject, and at that time, the guy behind the desk at the shooting range said I was using less than quality bullets. He actually gave me a box of higher caliber bullets and the gun thereafter ejected the bullets just fine. We have since bought higher quality shells.

Today, it happened again. This time, however, one bullet actually jammed so tightly that I had to get the buy behind the desk to get it out for me. He said that I shouldn't be using aluminum shells. This guy also said that I will start having problems as my gun gets dirtier and so I should always use brass. What is the general opinion out there about this?
    Had the same problem with my Bull Dog. This gun really likes the CCI Lawman as far as accuracy goes, but would not eject them. Wouldn't eject anything, everything stuck. I sent the gun back to Charter, but when it was returned, I still had the same problem. QKShooter has the souliton, I believe. My next step will be to have a smith work on polishing up the chambers. I sure hope this solves the problem. I really like the Bull Dog.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I expect dirty chambers as previously mentioned. Soft lead bullets can cause the problem fast.

If you have a 357 mag and shoot a lot of 38spl then go back to 357 the cases may stick because the 38spl may be pitting the chamber.

Links