Another 1911 thread...

Another 1911 thread...

This is a discussion on Another 1911 thread... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I think since trying to get a LCP is going to be a wait I'm in the market for a 1911. I've narrowed down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 1911 thread...

Another 1911 thread...

Well I think since trying to get a LCP is going to be a wait I'm in the market for a 1911. I've narrowed down a few. I have done many searches on this board and others. Looking at either the Taurus 1911(mostly likely to purchase) or Springfield basic Mil Spec Model. I'm trying to figure out carry options, has to be an IWB my shirts and jackets arent even long enough to cover my Firestorm 380 OWB. Most of the time I do have a tucked in shirt. Im about 6'4" 6'5" and around 185lbs. Any suggestions would be helpful on either the model or holster option.

Sorry about the choppy post.

Thank you.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

I have the Springfield plane jane GI .45 model that I bought for nostalgia and can attest to it's reliability but its stock sights are not very well suited for defensive use...they're the plane blackened sights (no white dots) and I always prefer tritium nights sights on a defensive weapon
    "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." --Patrick Henry

What is the actual experience with the "Rock Island .45" ? I can buy a new one for $390, locally.

VIP Member
    The Taurus has a lot of upgrades to the Mil-Spec, it would be my choice. As far as IWB holsters, check out the MTAC from Comp-Tac. They have the ability to change holster bodies, fast delivery and are 1st rate. Now get ready for lot's of different holster recommendations.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

While the Taurus comes equipped with most of the "recommended upgrades," I'd opt for the Springfield Mil-Spec.

I just happen to like Springfield more than Taurus, plus alphabetically, S comes before T. Haha!

I would definately give Rock Island a look.

I have owned the Taurus - you will not be disappointed

I also own a Springfield - also an excellent choice

(oh and C comes before S or T ... Colt get an original!)

Very happy with the Taurus PT 1911, have one in blue and also one in stainless. Mtac is the best holster I've found. Comfy, secure, easy on and off the belt and PROMPT delivery & excellent customer service by Comptac. Have you tried gunbroker.com for your LCP? I found mine there for reasonable price

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Very happy with the Taurus PT 1911, have one in blue and also one in stainless. Mtac is the best holster I've found. Comfy, secure, easy on and off the belt and PROMPT delivery & excellent customer service by Comptac. Have you tried gunbroker.com for your LCP? I found mine there for reasonable price

Yes, I've looked on GunBroker but I won't spend more then Ruger's MSRP. Most gun shops I called with a wait time are selling them around $289-299. The LCP is still on my list but thought in the meantime I might just get a 1911 for safe measure.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Roman,

#1 for the Taurus

I got the PT1911 this time last year, liked it so much that its my primary EDC!
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    While the Taurus comes equipped with most of the "recommended upgrades," I'd opt for the Springfield Mil-Spec.

I just happen to like Springfield more than Taurus, plus alphabetically, S comes before T. Haha!
    +1 - Get a Springer "Loaded" and you will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AEA View Post
    +1 - Get a Springer "Loaded" and you will be happy.
    Of the two you have mentioned, I vote for the Springer also, but why not extend your search? Soooooooooooooo many nice 1911's out there.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    Well I think since trying to get a LCP is going to be a wait I'm in the market for a 1911. I've narrowed down a few. I have done many searches on this board and others. Looking at either the Taurus 1911(mostly likely to purchase) or Springfield basic Mil Spec Model. I'm trying to figure out carry options, has to be an IWB my shirts and jackets arent even long enough to cover my Firestorm 380 OWB. Most of the time I do have a tucked in shirt. Im about 6'4" 6'5" and around 185lbs. Any suggestions would be helpful on either the model or holster option.

Sorry about the choppy post.

Thank you.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here....

I'm assuming that as you specifically mention that you usually have a tucked in shirt that you plan on tucking the holster and gun?

While it can be done, tucking a full size 1911 is a little goofy. I'd suggest either getting a Dan Wesson Bobtail, Kimber Compact, Springfield Ultra Compact, Sig RCS or C3, or other small frame 1911.

The grip is the hardest to conceal and given that it seems like you want to tuck the gun and holster, it is my opinion that you would have better concealment with a non-full size 1911 or bobtailed 1911.

If you're set on the full frame-5" gun, upgrade to a Springfield Loaded.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    +1 for what JD said... I carry a Loaded every day and it's a great gun... but it would be hard to tuck if you needed to. My mom's Kobra Carry (bobtailed commander) would tuck no problem... so I'd say check out that Dan Wesson...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I just bought a Colt XSE Light Weight Commander. I have been very happy with it. It is my fourth 1911 and now my favorite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links