Sig RCS 1911 got my eye today!

This is a discussion on Sig RCS 1911 got my eye today! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm giving myself a nice gun and holster for Christmas. I have pretty much decided on either a DW BTail, DW SS Classic 40 cal, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig RCS 1911 got my eye today!

I'm giving myself a nice gun and holster for Christmas. I have pretty much decided on either a DW BTail, DW SS Classic 40 cal, Sig 229 SAS, or maybe a Sig 1911. I am comfortable carrying a Glock 22 so size isn't an issue to a degree. I want to see all of them at once and like picking out a puppy or a new couch, I'll know "it" when I see it.

Today I had a few hours and drove about 70 miles to a great all around sporting goods store that I was told had anything I wanted. I wasn't going to buy unless something absolutely sealed the deal. I went in and sure they had a lot of guns, but no Dan Wessons, no Sig 229 much less the SAS but what looked like the perfect carry 1911 jumped out at me...the Sig GSR. It took all my inner strength to hand it back to the kid working behind the glass case.

If he would have said "that's a good one" or anything positive I would be posting a pic right now instead of all these words! Anyway, I'm driving the 100 miles this next week to THE gun store in my neck of the woods, "Whittaker's", and this time I'm coming home with a new pistol. I just need a gentle push. Also when getting a holster for the RCS I assume it would be any 1911 Commander type, correct? All help appreciated. Pro, cons, whatever.
    Last edited by JD; December 26th, 2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Spaced out text.

Along the lines of what you're looking at: I have two Dan Wessons, a Sig 225 and a Sig GSR. The GSR has been back to the factory twice for FTF problems, hammer follow and a broken extractor variously. And, it's started jamming again. I haven't had a single problem with any of the others.

FWIW.

Joe

Thanks Joe, thats what I need to know. I wonder if Sig has addressed that issue?

That Dan Wesson would make a perfect EDC partner...the only 'con' I can think of...is...you didn't buy it yet.

Stay armed...go adopt DW...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I will have a Dan Wesson in the arsenal, it's just a matter of if it's the next one! Anyone carrying the DW SS Classic or Valor? They have to be the nicest looking gun you can buy out of a case on the market, IMHO. I don't mind a little extra weight. It's just a reminder "I gotcha your back fella".

Sig certainly hasn't addressed mine - but there are reports out there of GSRs that run flawlessly. Of course, you always wonder, is that the guy that puts a box of 50 ball through it and says "it's flawless!". My GSR has around 3K rounds through it, and it's had problems of some type in every lot of 1K. My DW CBOB has about 1300 through it and has never had an issue. I just got the Valor, and I've only had it out once. I ran 250 through it without a hiccup, and it was way overlubed (for break-in) to boot.

I don't consider it proven out yet, so I haven't carried it - my EDC is the Bobtail - but honestly, if I had to choose between it and the GSR to trust my life to, I'd grab the Valor first.

Joe

I'd say if you want a SIG, get the 229SAS. If you want a 1911, stick with the boys that have been making them for a long time. DAK trigger on 229 is love it or hate it. I love mine. DW CBOB is next on my list...one day.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail 1911. No MIM, all parts are from Ed Brown, all springs are from Wolff, Night sights, 25lpi front strap checkering, clean lines (no front cocking serrations), tight frame to slide fit and barrel lockup. About $900 NIB.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

You mean this caught your eye!? I can see why!

Thanks for the help! Cmdrdredd, talk to me about those grips! RamRod, it was actually the stainless version that got me. I'm going to lay a Valor, a SS Classic, a Bobtail and a 229SAS on the counter and see what happens. Even money on the Bobtail or Valor (thanks Ray) ! One thing is a 100% certainty...it's going to be a Merry-Bang-Bang-Christmas and all will be safe!

Valor, a SS Classic, a Bobtail and a 229SAS
    There's no way you could go wrong picking from that lineup!

Joe

Those grips on my gun are Horned Lizard grips in black from monkeygrips

He makes a variety of different styles and textures in varying colors.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    I have a SIG 1911 RCS and so far have had no problems with it. I have about 750 rounds through it with no problems. My understanding is the problems encountered with the SIG 1911's were with the full size GSR. It does use a Commander size holster and magazines.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

So... which Dan Wesson, I mean which one did you buy?

Joe

I have officially declared Friday "New Gun For Me Day"! Yes, I will resolutely march out of Whittaker Guns with a new pistol. I have absolutely made up my mind 20 times a day which gun it will be. The Valor is so clean looking. The Bobtail is too. And the Sig, well it's still in the running too. I will post a pic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links