My daughter bought her first pistol

This is a discussion on My daughter bought her first pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After searching all around the Richmond area for A Bersa Thunder, I heard from a guy on another gun forum that Roanoke Firearms had at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daughter bought her first pistol

My daughter bought her first pistol

After searching all around the Richmond area for A Bersa Thunder, I heard from a guy on another gun forum that Roanoke Firearms had at least two in stock I valled my daughter, who lives in Roanoke, and told her about them. I discovered that Roanoke firearms is just a few blocks from her home. After some discussion to dispel some misconceptions about buying handguns in Virginia, I convinced her to go out and buy it. She called me back less than half an hour later to say she had made the purchase, and was amazed at how easy it was, She said filling out the paperwork took longer than the instant background check(I guess the VSP records division wasn't busy). Next, I sent her to Walmart to buy a hundred rounds of Winchester white box. She will be here in Amelia on Christmas eve, and when I get back from deer hunting, I'll help her clean and lubricate her new friend, so that we can go out back to burn most of the ammo. I know that .380 isn't considered the best defensive gun around, but she likes the Thunder and could shoot it fairly well when she tried her mother's Bersa. Better something which she will shoot and be able to hit her target that something she is afraid to shoot. The main thing was that the Bersa fit her budget as did a Keltec, but I don't think she could have shot the Keltec as well because of the long trigger pull. Anyhow, the next step is to get her signed up for a concealed carry class, even though she could not even carry in her car at work. She is a councilor at an elementary school.

2. Remove Ads

Aside from the cleaning/maintenance, please make sure she's familiar with basic handgun safety. Be safe and happy holidays.
    HK45c V1

JD
    Administrator
    Great news! The Bersa .380 was my wife's first gun as well. Roanoke Firearms also teaches classes.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    I know that .380 isn't considered the best defensive gun around, but she likes the Thunder and could shoot it fairly well when she tried her mother's Bersa.
    .380 is considered by many as the smallest caliber useful for defensive carry. It was in use in Europe for a long time. I have found that my Bersa Thunder 380CC is very accurate. That, with a good defensive round, should take care of a bad guy.

I also own a Glock 23 (40 S&W) and a Bersa Thunder 9mm.

Congrats on the new firearm for your daughter...I'm sure that her being able to defend herself has to give you some good feelings.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats to her!! And get her signed up for DC so she can learn more about it on her own... and ask any questions she doesn't want to ask you!!! A woman's perspective helps me a lot when I have doubts.... and just by browsing the forums I have learned lots..
    ~Krockett

Senior Moderator
    She made a wise choice.

The Bersa .380 is an excellent pistol, my father has mine on premaent loan.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My daughter has a 380CC from the same shop - nice folks.

My daughter took her CCW class at PSS Range, tucked back against the railroad tracks about a mile north of Orange street in Roanoke. We've also hired a couple of hour-long tutorial sessions from the staff there. Leo was particularly helpful, as was a Roanoke SWAT team member who works there - can't remember his name, but he looked like a recruiting poster (and knew his stuff and was the perfect gentleman around my dear daughter, too).
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    When she's familar with the weapon and has practiced with it, you might want to recommend that she carry it with one in the chamber and the safety OFF. The double action pull of the trigger on the first round becomes your safety much like a DAO, like a Kahr or even a J frame 642. After the first round it's single action. The reason I recommend this is that the safety on these is a tough to flip and it's something someone could easily end up struggling with in a real situation unless they're practiced with it ALOT. I love my Bersa and don't EDC it anymore but when I did I learne to carry it this way so it was truly ready. Of course, this requires good leather and always following that rule about keeping the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. She should practice drawing and engaging with the first shot fired DA, AFTER she's thoroughly familarized herself with the weapon and with a lot of empty handling.

I sold a ton of those things in the day.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member
    It's always good to hear of a woman arming herself, good that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Congrats hasve her go to :: Bersa Talk :: for info and ideas about bresas
    When a Government become ultra concerned about its citizen's guns its time to beconcerned about the Governments long term plans Me

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Good deal. Roanoke rifle really stand behind what they sale and Customer service their is A+++. Been trading with them a long time and have no complaints.

Good for her.

Gotta love a woman who is willing to protect herself.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Great place to start and that has to make ol Daddy proud. Not to mention the fact you know she is a little safer with a Bersa than pepper spray. Pass on my congrats
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links