Another "what gun to buy" thread

This is a discussion on Another "what gun to buy" thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my EDC gun is a Glock 27 right now. I like the way it feels, but am not quite happy with the way I shoot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "what gun to buy" thread

my EDC gun is a Glock 27 right now. I like the way it feels, but am not quite happy with the way I shoot it. Last weekend, I used a 15 round magazine with grip extension, and my aim significantly improved. So I am thinking about maybe getting a heavier / larger gun. I am a bit partial to another Glock, but I am eying a Sig (if someone can help me justify the extra price :-) ).
    I would like to stick to .40 cal, but well... could be talked into downgrading to 9mm by a crafty salesman.
    Other requirements: I like to be able to train with .22 for cost reasons, and use my Advantage Arms conversion kit quite heavily.

So here are my choices:
    - get a larger Glock (22? or should I go 23? remember I carry IWB concealed)
    - get a SIG P239 (is it heavy enough to make a difference? I assume the fact that it is all metal may help?
    - get a brass grip plug for my G27?

One reason I am thinking about a SIG is the option of a single stack slimmer design.

heck. do I make sense? Or do I just look for an excuse to buy more toys?
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

If you like the way the Glock feels but wanted something a bit larger how about a Glock19 with the following mods

- Tungstan recoil spring rod
    adds more weight to muzzle end to reduce muzzle flip

- 2 stage re-coil spring
    recoil reduction

Glock 19 is somewhere between your 27 and a 17 so may negate the need for a grip extension.

Hell if you wanted even more weight on the muzzle, and could still conceal the slightly larger size, throw a compenstor on the end.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Having owned a G27 and 2 different G23's, I would go with the G23. The longer barrel makes for more accurate shooting as well as the slightly longer (and for me more comfortable) grip. You could put grip extensions on the G27 mags, but then they are as long as the G23. I have never owned, but have fired several G22's. My favorite Glock is the 23.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Administrator
    The G23 is a great gun, but I don't think your going to see much of a difference in what you've already experienced with your G27. A G19 is a lot easier to shoot, and a G17 is even easier. The G23 is a favorite of mine, but it can be a tough critter to tame. In your shoes, I'd look towards the G19. You got to stop viewing the 9mm as a down grade... its not. Plenty of pros use the 9mm by choice.
    The Sigs are in a different class. They are heavier, but they have better craftsmanship all the way around. If you go with the 239, I highly suggest the 9mm version over the 40. Again, if you are having trouble with the G27, the 40 239 is going to do the same thing. The 9mm version is scary accurate and just about anybody can shoot the gun really well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Recommend G23

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    One reason I am thinking about a SIG is the option of a single stack slimmer design.
    I own both a Glock 23 and a Sig P239 (9mm version). Just a week ago I was curious about how they compared in size, so I got out my calipers and ruler and measured them.

Both the G23 and the P239 were identical in slide width (1.0 inches), grip width (1.1 inches), and height from bottom of grip to top of rear sight. The G23 was slightly longer in the slide than the Sig - maybe 1/4 inch or so. And in terms of empty weight, the G23 is 23 ounces while the 9mm Sig is 27.5 ounces. A .40 caliber P239 is 29 ounces empty, as it has a little heavier slide.

So I concluded that the G23 is almost exactly the same dimensions as the Sig P239 and considerably lighter in empty weight. The reason that a single stack P239 can have the same grip width as a double stack G23 is that the Sig has an aluminum frame with bolt on grip panels, which add considerable thickness. The Glock has a thin polymer shell for a grip, completely filled by the magazine, so it is a more efficient use of grip volume than the Sig.

I'd recommend that you go with the G23, since you are already familiar with the similar G27. The G23 will give you a hand filling grip and more weight and sight radius in the gun, which should improve your accuracy and speed of recoil recovery. And finally the G23 gives you 13+1 rounds instead of 7+1 in the .40 caliber P239.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Try Glock 36

Packs a punch and thinner/more comfortable to CC. Just spend about 1000 rounds with it and learn everything there is to know about how it shoots, clearing and fast reloads. One of the best CCWs on the market. You won't be disappointed and the 45 acp gives you a certain "level of comfort". I carry mine with one in the chamber and 6 in mag and just throw another mag in my pocket for a "lucky 13" rounds of power.

Shoot straight and be safe,
    Squid

Glock 36 Pics

Here's a pic of my EDC. Glock 36, Galco IWB and Surefire A2
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I carried a G26 for a long time before getting a G19. The G19 is a little harder to conceal but I just dress around the gun more. It shoots fantastic though.

Go for the G23.

You will be sticking with the same familiar platform, able to use the 23 mags in the 27 etc...

go with the g23. you will like it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member
    I am looking at the G36 to it is on my list of 6 and is moving to the top. After Christmas I am going to hold a few.

My vote would also be the Glock-36, the thinner grip is what attracted me to that first Glock, and the .45 is plenty of power.
    If you can't defend yourself with 6+1, and an extra mag or two, then you've got to change neighborhoods.

Stay armed...Glock-36 ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    From your post, I'd tend to say the 23. I have a 26, 19 and 17 in 9mm. Of these, my #1 choice would be the 19. The 27 is the same dimensions as the 26, and the 23 is the same dimensions as the 19. Since you stated you'd like to stay with .40, I'd say the 23.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Why not a 1911??
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Thanks for the feedback. If I change calibers, it will be 9mm not .45. I rather have 1 or 2 more rounds then the extra stopping power, and .45 ammunition prices are another strike against it (comparing FMJ from similar manufacturers, it looks like 9mm is $200/1000, .40 is $290/1000 and 45 is $325/1000). In the end, ammunition will cost me much more then the gun.

I think I will need to check with the local gun store that rents guns. If I remember right, they had a couple Glocks and Sigs.

too many choices... too many guns to buy :-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by ncffp163 View Post
    Why not a 1911??
    haha. I am looking to narrow things down, not to expand my choices :-). I have never used a 1911 before. They appear to me a bit too complicated (but I may be way off here). Seem like once you decide on a 1911, the choices only start with different options. I don't mind my guns looking ugly. (actually I kind of like the look of Glocks... but I had also lots of disagreements with my art teacher in school).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links