Having some issues with my PM9 - Page 3

Having some issues with my PM9

This is a discussion on Having some issues with my PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i traded my pm9 on a glock 26 after only 2 months of ownership. the kahr does not chamber a round very smoothly and if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Having some issues with my PM9

i traded my pm9 on a glock 26 after only 2 months of ownership. the kahr does not chamber a round very smoothly and if you rake the slide to chamber the round a jam will occur. look at the magazines, poor design. get rid of the gun, it may safe your life if you meet a badguy.

Quote Originally Posted by caycebugs View Post
    i traded my pm9 on a glock 26 after only 2 months of ownership. the kahr does not chamber a round very smoothly and if you rake the slide to chamber the round a jam will occur. look at the magazines, poor design. get rid of the gun, it may safe your life if you meet a badguy.
    My PM9 has operated flawlessly over several hundred rounds. Strangely enough, most of the reviews I've read have been quite positive. There were some QA issues with earlier versions of the PM9; you don't indicate the date your PM9 was manufactured. Did you contact Kahr and give them a chance to correct the flaws in your piece?

It's something of a stretch to paint all PM9's in the same light given your negative experiences. From the extensive reading I've done in various forums, as well as my own personal experiences, the PM9 is a very reliable piece.
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Quote Originally Posted by caycebugs View Post
    You should have read the owners manual. It states to release the slide via the slide lock with a loaded magazine inserted to chamber a round. It also states to not depend on the gun until at least 200 rounds have been fired. Kahrs have very tight tolerances.

NOTE: I'm not bashing the G26.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    You should have read the owners manual.
    What!? its a lot easier to get on gun boards and complain about "issues" rather than actually learning to use the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What!? its a lot easier to get on gun boards and complain about "issues" rather than actually learning to use the gun.

I do know how to use a gun and I can read! I called kahr and they were less than helpful. I cleaned the gun, lubed the gun, and shot over 400 rounds of winchester white box, remington jhp, ranger talons, and speer gold dots through it. The main problem was the slide not working smoothly and not chambering a round properly. I bought 4 new Kahr magazines, they did not help. I know that you are supposed to lock the slide to chamber but in real life you may not have time to do the "proper" loading in a shootout with a badguy. FYI, the gun was bought brand new on 9/27/08, seriel #IA28XX. I am not bashing Kahr, but I have read more bad reviews on the PM9 than good. Loved the size and concealibility but did not trust the piece. My glock 26, M&P9, and M&P45 have never given me any problems out of the box and you can rake the slide without a jam. Hope this info helps anyone who is interested.
    Just my .02.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caycebugs
    look at the magazines, poor design. get rid of the gun, it may safe your life if you meet a badguy.
    Quote Originally Posted by caycebugs
    I am not bashing Kahr, but I have read more bad reviews on the PM9 than good.
    Yeah, you are. And maybe you need to read more reviews? (I've read far more positive than negative).

Now as to not having time in a gunfight? I certainly hope never to be in one, and DEFINITELY hope never to need to reload. But I do carry spare mags. And I'll train to use the weapon the way the manuf. suggests in this case.

The PM9 is on the edge of size/caliber engineering capabilites IMHO, and the little gun earns a right to be a bit more finicky than the average handgun. But it can be reliable (so I've heard) if one does all one can to keep it running correctly. This will include keeping it properly lubed (one common cause of malf. for these I suspect) and operating it in a way consistant with eliminating known issues (slingshot/vs. slide stop).

And I do have a Glock 26. Great pistol, but hardly comparable (in size) to the PM9.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

This is the problem with innovation.

You create a novel new tool, in this case, an extremely small 9mm pistol with a design that makes releasing the slide with a full magazine extremely easy while making it nearly impossible with an empty mag. This allows the operator to know without looking, that there's a problem with their magazine, and prevents them from closing the slide on an empty mag. The gun is so small, that operators with even extremely small hands have no problem reaching the release.

Then the end user doesn't want to use your design.

That's life.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

JD
    Administrator
    Regarding the Kahr and chambering via letting the slide go manually...

This is what the book says...

My PM9 has been perfect. I use Gold Dots for SD, and it has seen close to 600 rounds of WWB without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lock View Post
    It also effects my accuracy because I dont know when its going to fire.
    You should be holding the front sight on target, whether the gun goes off or not.
    Many people train using snap caps, that's a sure way to find out if you are flinching when the gun fires, or doesn't.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links