Having some issues with my PM9

Having some issues with my PM9

This is a discussion on Having some issues with my PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The last two trips to the range Ive had around 5 failure to fire's out of 1 hundred rounds. The gun is new and now ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having some issues with my PM9

Unhappy Having some issues with my PM9

The last two trips to the range Ive had around 5 failure to fire's out of 1 hundred rounds. The gun is new and now has around 400 rounds down the pipe. This last trip, once it started happening. I finished the box of ammo with another gun and had no issues. Only when using the PM9. This is UMC practice ammo. Ive shot 50 rounds of Gold Dot's which is my carry ammo and have not had any failures. Problem is Ive lost confidence in the gun now. It also effects my accuracy because I dont know when its going to fire.

I saved a failure bullet. Its striking nice but its off center. Is this normal and could that be my issue? Ive attached a picture.

I always clean my guns after use... Ive never detailed stripped it though... but shouldnt have to. Im considering sending back to Kahr for them to look at it.

I dont want a picky gun that refuses certain ammo. Ive fired hundreds of rounds of UMC down my Glock.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Might be wrong, but the primer strike looks fine to me (not like a light strike). Did you compare that with any spent casings? Betting they look the same. I think it was the ammo, not the gun. It's been about 14 years, but I've had trouble with multiple batches of UMC, won't buy it anymore. This includes a squib load that temporarily turned my Glock 19 into a really big paperweight.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Lead Moderator
    Hard to tell from the pic if it is a light strike or not. The location of the firing pin strike does not seem to be an issue.If a change in ammo results in the same problem I would send it back for repair. Otherwise you may never have confidence in the gun again.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm with the others on this. Too hard to tell. Try different ammo.

Also - are you running the gun wet? Kahr's like to be wet.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Also - are you running the gun wet? Kahr's like to be wet.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is "running a gun wet"? I own two Kahrs and have never heard of this!
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Administrator
    Wet is well oiled. Be cautious though, there is a fine line between well oiled and over oiled.

And it aint your gun! The strikes are fine. Off center is OK, its nothing to worry about. Its the UMC ammo, its pretty much bottom of the barrel, factory seconds or thirds stuff. Fine for practice, but thats about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Wet is well oiled. Be cautious though, there is a fine line between well oiled and over oiled.

And it aint your gun! The strikes are fine. Off center is OK, its nothing to worry about. Its the UMC ammo, its pretty much bottom of the barrel, factory seconds or thirds stuff. Fine for practice, but thats about it.
    I've heard the same thing about UMC ammo...Gander Mtn. had a heck of a price on it, but my gun shop warneed me about it...he had heard about lots of 'dud' rounds from various customers.
    Cheap ammo is not worth the savings, and I certainly would not use cheap stuff in any 'situation'. OMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This lasty trip my gun was pretty dry. I wasnt sure if oil was causing the problem last time. Why would this ammo fire fine in my other guns though? That is what doesnt make sense to me.

Yes its very cheap ammo. This is the stuff Dick's puts on sale for $8 a box when you buy a case... so I have a ton of it now.

I wish I could take a better picture. Its surprisngly hard to get my camera to focus on the end of the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by lock View Post
    This lasty trip my gun was pretty dry. I wasnt sure if oil was causing the problem last time. Why would this ammo fire fine in my other guns though? That is what doesnt make sense to me.

Yes its very cheap ammo. This is the stuff Dick's puts on sale for $8 a box when you buy a case... so I have a ton of it now.

I wish I could take a better picture. Its surprisngly hard to get my camera to focus on the end of the shell.
    Your other gun may strike the primer harder. Or you may just have gotten lucky.

I used to buy UMC in bulk for practice specifically because there are so many FTF. It helped me get over my flinch when I first started shooting.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

It really looks like an ammo issue. I'd try using some other cheap generic ammo and compare.

As far as lubing the gun, I use a little (read very little) grease on the slide rails and all contact points. I don't like oil because it bleeds and leaves the rails dry. I use Militec 1 grease and TetraGun grease pretty much interchangably. Lithium grease from Wally World would work fine also. Kahrs need their lube, even after break in.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Can't believe you guys have had so much trouble with UMC. I've fired a few thousand rounds of it through my Glocks and Beretta (45 Auto and 9mm's) and never had ONE bad round. Only ammo I've had a couple of FTFs with has been Blazer.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Can't believe you guys have had so much trouble with UMC. I've fired a few thousand rounds of it through my Glocks and Beretta (45 Auto and 9mm's) and never had ONE bad round. Only ammo I've had a couple of FTFs with has been Blazer.
    Their batches go in spurts, you can go for years with out any trouble
    then hit a bad spot and have several in one box. As others pointed out, I like the questionable ammo for training for a few reasons; it preps me to malfunctions, and it will let me know in a hurry if I have poor trigger control.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well here is a little better picture. Im compared it to the only spent brass I have which was from my Glock. The Glock definetly strikes harder.

Ill hit the range again in a few days and test it out again. My father also bought a bunch of the same ammo and has no issues. If I could get a failure with this ammo in another gun, Id feel much better. Right now my confience is shot.

Kahr is recommending me try another lot but I know for a fact Ive tried two different lots already.
    Attached Images

UMC is what I always use at the range. Try some WWBox. If they all shoot fine, and your carry ammo shoots fine, I would just keep shooting the UMC(since you have a butltload), and if you have a FTfire, save them and retry them. You at least field strip it when you clean it, right? Wasnt sure what you meant by saying you havnt taken it apart to clean it. So what do you guys use for range ammo if not UMC or WWB?
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    WWB seems to be the brand that many people do not have trouble with.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links