Who carrys a .380 as primary CCW?

This is a discussion on Who carrys a .380 as primary CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering who out there EDC's a .380. Some people say a 380 will get the job done, some say its too small to be ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who carrys a .380 as primary CCW?

Just wondering who out there EDC's a .380.

Some people say a 380 will get the job done, some say its too small to be a good ccw, and some say nothing less than a 9mm will do (and, of course, many say nothing less than a .45)

So whats more important, the size of the bullet or the size of the gun? Do you carry a 380 only for concealment and/or ease of carry? Do you carry extra mags or dutch loads beacuse of the smaller caliber? Do you do it just 'cause James Bond did it? Or, do you carry a 380 but only because you plan to upgrade in the future?

And what about the 9x18...
    Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape.

Like beer? Good beer? Then go here: http://bierbreath.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I have a PPK in .380 that I got a couple months ago for when I need something really small. I haven't carried it yet but my view on the matter is that it is probably sufficient for a large percentage of possible situations. Obviously if I actually were in a SD situation I would prefer something bigger, but I figure without a smaller gun as an option there would be times when I wouldn't be able to carry at all, and obviously .380 beats 0.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I carry a colt mustang alot. For concealment and ease of carry. I also pack an extra magazine. Its an accurate piece and I can shoot it quickly and well.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I carry a .380. I do alternate between guns - just because I like to. The new Crtical Defense Ammo from Hornaday should fit the bill.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Every now and then I pocket carry a small .380 auto. Its an old AMT Backup DAO. I know most will say these guns are junk, and I wouldn't argue that, but mine has run 100% for around 15 years (I don't shoot a high amount of ammo through it of course). I keep meaning to replace it with something lighter but since I don't carry it much as a primary, I don't bother.

I envision this small .380 pocket pistol as being a last ditch, in your gut, face to face type weapon.

I don't carry it much because there are plenty of times while taking in my surroundings and going over possible scenarios that I wish I was carrying my glock instead. 95% of the time I will sacrifice a little comfort to carry a bigger firearm.

For sake of clarity, I didnt mean pocket pistols or mouse guns, I mean along the lines of PPK's and Bersa's
    Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape.

Like beer? Good beer? Then go here: http://bierbreath.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 40 View Post
    For sake of clarity, I didnt mean pocket pistols or mouse guns, I mean along the lines of PPK's and Bersa's
    I hear ya. Mine is carried in a back pocket holster. It doesn't get any better with the .380 than the Colt mustang, PPK, Beretta cheetah 86, and the sigarms p232, IMOP.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Colt Mustang right front pocket/Mike's holster.
    Eternity...it's Hell without Jesus

USN 1969-1973
    USS Jonas Ingram DD938

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr 40 View Post
    I personally wouldn't bother. If you aren't going to pocket carry, lots of firearms in better calibers that aren't that much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    I personally wouldn't bother. If you aren't going to pocket carry, lots of firearms in better calibers that aren't that much bigger.
    +1 on that. My 24/7 gun is the Kel-Tec 380...when I can there's a 45 to keep it company. When you can carry more than a mouse why anything smaller than 45?

I carry a beretta cheetah .380 13 round mags with night sights if I am in a hurry and need something concealable . Primary gun is my Hk USP 40 or I will switch to my 45 Kimber Ultra carry.Merlin45kOut

On rare occasions I will just grab my P-3AT, but I always wish I would have taken the Kimber...does that count?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A Taurus Ultralite .38 with a barami hip grip is as "pocket" as I go these days. Love that thing. It just disappears. Have my eye on the Walther .380, though...and yeah, I have to admit that the whole James Bond thing factors in...dork, I know.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

CDH
    I used to carry a PPK in .380 for many years, and although I didn't necessarily feel undergunned for "most" possible SD scenarios, I never really felt that comfortable with it.

The problem, of course, is that we have to balance concealability with caliber, and the smaller the lesser.

One thing I did recently that is sort of exciting in that regard was to discover the Rohrbaugh pistol. It's smaller than my PPK and weighs half as much, but it's chambered in 9mm.

The PPK has officially been retired from duty and the Rohrbaugh is now my main carry weapon, and it also happens to be the really little one that I can take with me no matter how I dress.
    With all three types of holsters for it*, I have yet to have any difficulty hiding it.

* Front pocket, rear pocket, and IWB, plus an UncleMikes #1 which works great as a front pocket holster "with clip" that keeps the pistol even more handy for drawing from under a shirt.

my good buddy carries a ppk in .380 as his EDC, he loves it and says he wouldnt have it any other way
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links