Need help with a mouse gun!

This is a discussion on Need help with a mouse gun! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say you had to carry a very small gun for whatever reason, and I know allot of people would rather use a stick and throw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a mouse gun!

Say you had to carry a very small gun for whatever reason, and I know allot of people would rather use a stick and throw stones but for the sake of argument what would you rather carry!

A Beretta 25 Auto with nine rounds of ammo or a 22 Mag High Standard derringer. Think of it as a Back Up Gun. I would rather have the 25 Auto. You have nine shots and less power over two shots with more power and penetration from the 22 Mag. We are talking very short distance, 20 feet or less. I have carpal tunnel and trigger finger and the small 22 mag pains me to shoot it while the 25 is pleasant. Also faster reload with the 25!

This requirement has come up in one of my retired activities and I would appreciate your input.
    Flee before me or else you will Fall before me!

Senior Moderator
    I'd take the 9 shots of .25 over 2 shots of .22 as long as its reliable.

If it hurts you to shoot the .22, why even bother with it?

.22x2=.44 .25x9= 2.25

.as you can see, the math favors the .25...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I personally prefer the .22 mag., but 9 shots over 2 win the hand outright. Just make sure you use the correct load, and combine hollow points and hardball ammo in the mag.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

22 mag from short barrels gives little or no real power boost over 22 LR. Barely more than 25 because most of the power goes off outside the barrel. The 25 is much better when you count the shots.

25 Auto

Beyond the statements above (the better reasons then the one I'm about to state), the 22 mag is a rim fire, so the 25 Auto in theory would be more reliable.

Makes no difference...but if given a choice, the Beretta .25.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

CDH
    Just wondering... are the pistols mentioned that much smaller (or any smaller) than some of the new larger caliber "mouse guns"?

I would think that the Ruger LCP in .380 would be a better choice, and I went with the Rohrbaugh in 9mm that's hardly much bigger than that and, to me, easily qualifies as a mouse gun in size.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    It all boils down to what you can manage. If it's the 25, then that's it but I'd encourage you to consider some of the .32's. I belive there's at least a chance of getting something similar recoil wise with the somewhat more potent caliber and as the other poster said, reliability is also a critical factor. I'm not too familar with the .32 vs .25 but wonder if you can get different load where the felt recoils is similar. If you can, I believe a KelTec P32 would be one of the best options. It's probably their most reliable mouse gun!

Another important factor is the opportunity to do some practical practice which means having a place you can shoot where you can practice drawing from concealment and doing some point shooting at very close ranges.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    If you had to actually shoot someone with either one it would probably make them VERY angry. Get a bigger gun.

VIP Member
    Although I wouldn't carry it for a primary defensive weapon, my wife has a KelTec P32 that is easily concealed as a mouse gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Had a Beretta Jetfire .25 (single action 9 shot) back in the early 1980's. Great little gun, reliable and accurate. Wish I'd kept that one!

Of your two choices, I'd go .25. Still better than no gun!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I have a Seecamp .32 and the recoil is not bad at all. I carry Winchester Silvertips in it and it very reiable with those. I would think it to be more potent than a .22 or .25.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcharly View Post
    22 mag from short barrels gives little or no real power boost over 22 LR. Barely more than 25 because most of the power goes off outside the barrel. The 25 is much better when you count the shots.
    +2
    The .25 was at least made for short barrels
    the 22 lr and 22mag are not
    That means the power in .25 ammo is faster
    burning and will give you better energy
    numbers out of a mouse gun.
    If you into mice.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Of the two choices you've given us, the 25 wins hands down. However, I would strongly suggest you look into alternatives. I understand from your post that recoil is a problem, but I think in a defensive situation, pain in your wrist is going to be the last thing you're thinking about.

The small 380 pistols available would be an immense improvement over your choices but even with no hand or wrist problems I find them uncomfortable to shoot. But, if you think you could handle the recoil from them in a defensive situation, they would be my first choice.

Next, I would look at a 32. The Kel-Tec is available in 32 and it is much lighter than the Beretta. Even the lowly 32 has more than twice the muzzle energy of the 25.

As a last ditch choice, I'd look at the Beretta in 22 LR. Virtually same capacity as the 25 and the 22 is actually a much higher energy cartridge. The 25 is so anemic, CCI actually makes a 22 Short (wouldn't work in a semi-auto) cartridge that produces 10 fpe more than a Hornady XTP 25. The CCI Stingers produce 3 times the energy of a 25.

Again, I strongly suggest you look at a 32 at the least . More than double the energy of the 25 with about twice the bullet weight.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Many Thanks!

Thanks for your response everyone, it helped.

I was picked for a security, bodyguard detail in the San Francisco Area that involved close, constant contact and appearances by the two principals. The principals demanded that weapons not be visible by anyone close. This was non-negotiable and is harder to do than you might think in a tuxedo. The outer perimeter had no restrictions. Long story short, I picked one of the two smallest guns I have in my arsenal and with your help went with my Beretta 950 Jetfire in 25 ACP. My carpal tunnel and trigger finger prevented me from using my Walther PPK/S and it is much more visible than the Jetfire.

Many of the handguns I have I can no longer shoot due to my problems. Normally I donít do work like this but the money was way too good! If I could meet each of you that contributed your vast knowledge I would buy you a drink.

Thanks again!
    Flee before me or else you will Fall before me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links