Is the 40 SW SAFE in our pistols?

This is a discussion on Is the 40 SW SAFE in our pistols? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I was just reading about the 40 SW in the Speer Reloading Manual #13. On page 544 there is a safety notice. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the 40 SW SAFE in our pistols?

Is the 40 SW SAFE in our pistols?

Hey guys, I was just reading about the 40 SW in the Speer Reloading Manual #13. On page 544 there is a safety notice. It reads:

Some pistols chambered for the 40 S&W cartridge may not provide complete support of the case head. If this condition exists, normal pressure loads such as those shown here can cause the case wall to bulge or rupture at the unsupported point. Contact your firearms manufacturer to determine if your pistol completely supports the case head, or ask a gunsmith to inspect your pistol before using it with ANY ammunition. It is the gun owner's responsibility to know his firearm and its capabilities and limitations.

So, is our semi auto pistols SAFE? Some, most,a few, or all?
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a Glock disclaimer to me. I don't shoot reloads of anything in my Glocks....only new factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Sounds like a Glock disclaimer to me. I don't shoot reloads of anything in my Glocks....only new factory ammo.
    +1
    My thoughts exactly.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Look up "Glock kaboom" on google. Or just peruse this site: Glock kB! FAQ v1.35

There's always a risk involved with reloading, particularly if you're easily distracted or get interrupted too frequently. .40S&W is already a high pressure round, so it can conceivably be easier to see something bad happen with a mistake while reloading that round.

-JT

I have been reloading for over 30 years. I have had 1 round that was a mistake. I allowed my wife to talk to me and did not put powder in the case. Never allowed her in my reloading room again. Checking some of the commercial rounds weights, my rounds are more consistently loaded then theirs. Read some of the problems on other boards that people have had with Corbon, Remington, most any brand you want.

I trust mine more....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Its not just about RELOADING

My original question was not just about reloading the 40SW. It was very specific. The statement was....." Some gun chambers DO NOT support the cartridge case head" so this could be a source of danger, due to High Pressure in certain guns. So, the question is....... How safe are our pistols chambered in 40 SW?
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

I think they stated something very specific about your question.
    Contact your firearms manufacturer to determine if your pistol completely supports the case head, or ask a gunsmith to inspect your pistol before using it with ANY ammunition. It is the gun owner's responsibility to know his firearm and its capabilities and limitations.
    I'm neither a gunsmith or a manufacturer....but I shoot my Glock pistols chambered in 40S&W without worry with new factory ammo. I also figure some of the current production models have addressed the possible issues with previous models. I've heard this about Glocks and SIGs.

Based upon what I have read about the 40 S&W I beleive that the warning is legal talk about if something happens to your 40 S&W pistol and you used our recommended loading data you can't sue us because we warned you.

Much the same as the warning on the sunvisor in my 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 about the high center of gravity and the possibly of a rollover.

Yes it could happen BUT!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Beans; December 24th, 2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Senior Moderator
    The problem is not the gun itself but the brass.

You can tell its been shot through a Glock by looking at the base of the shell. If there is a small bulge in the case that goes about a third of the way around,at the base of the shell, it may be difficult to reload. Some dies will not remove this bulge. Others will remove it, but it needlessly works the brass in that area.

Brass, being what it is, work hardens. That means the more it is worked, stretched, sized, resized and then fired and blown out again, eventually hardens the brass enough that it becomes brittle and cracks. When your reloaded brass starts cracking, this is what is happening. Generally, the first place to crack is the neck because it gets worked the most.

I have seen a few blowouts though, at the base of the shell, and they have always been reloads. Not only that, the Glocks uses a polygonal rifling system that is not recommended for shooting lead bullets as it excessively leads up. Shooting a bunch of lead through it and then shooting jacketed bullets can cause pressures to go way up.

Using factory .40 brass is as safe as any other caliber.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

How safe are our pistols chambered in 40 SW?
    Depends. Mine is safe. What gun are you shooting?

I've had my .40 for 11 years....10's of thousands of round through it...nary a problem.

Don't you think with the advent of the internet, we would have heard more problems with the .40?

Instead, many Fed/State/local LE has adopted the round...

Sounds like another lawyer-written warning.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't reload...never a concern...I guess I just spend more $$$.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like a disclaimer.
    there is nothing to this if you do not reload.
    as stated prior, the 40SWis a hih preasure load already.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I too never shoot reloads in my Glocks anymore. A recent trip to the range, I shop my M&P and my Glock 23, both 40 S&W, and over half of the brass that came out of the 23 was bulged and unusable. These were factory new rounds, no reloads here. Scared me enough to keep the Glocks on a factory ammo or never fired brass only.

Edit: Nothing above should say that I don't trust the caliber or the weapons. I'm merely saying that any brass that could possibly be weakened somehow already isn't going to be fed into my glocks because they are pre-disposed to bulging brass as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Depends. Mine is safe. What gun are you shooting?
    I have a Glock 23, purchased in the mid-90s. Also, have a Sig P239 in 40 SW on lay away.
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links