Subcompact or Compact?

This is a discussion on Subcompact or Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at the XD or Glock 26, planned on going this weekend to put one or the other on lawaway. So today I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subcompact or Compact?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Subcompact or Compact?

I was looking at the XD or Glock 26, planned on going this weekend to put one or the other on lawaway. So today I called my normal channels to find that they do not have any of either of them in stock and are not sure how soon they will have them. One place I check when my normal shop is out has one model of each, but for a great bit more (close to 90 dollars more).

Having said that, I am thinking maybe I could manage with a compact, like the XD service or Glock 19, that is if they have any of those in stock, I did not ask. I am 5'81/2" and around 225lbs, normal dress is t-shirt and jeans or jean shorts. I want to be able to carry in wasteband and not have alot of printing going on.

Thoughts?
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

That Glock-26 is the perfect 9mm to conceal...you know how you liked it feel in your hand? I'd wait for it...or buy two.

Stay armed...G-26...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is one thing I do have is time. I was going to lay a way to lock in todays prices, I would not get it out until tax refund at the end of January, which will be more than enough to buy if it is in stock. If stil not and no xd sc I will get the g19, had one in the past and loved it.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I am almost identical to you in the height and weight department and I do have the love handle thing going on. I carry the Glock 26 and it disappears on me when I carry IWB. The grip is short so it doesn't get pushed out from my side. I put a Glock 19 mag in my gun and stuck it IWB and it did print quite a bit more on me than the standard 26 mag.

If your body shape can handle the longer grip of the 19 that would be a great way to go. You really can't go wrong w/ either.

Did you ask at the other shop if it was the identical model that your normal shop would carry? I ask because I 'm wondering if the $90 higher price might be because of night sights. I 've got them on my 26 and I really like them.

Best of luck in your hunt!
    Question Everything!

The price is apples to apples, they are always higher on their products because they are in a upper class community and they have an on site range in doors. I really am eying the xd but love the feel of the glock.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

G26 in an IWB holster is the best pistol setup for concealed carry IMO. Glock reliability is a given, 10 +1 carry capacity, the gun does not have the looks of a "safe queen" so using it every single day will not bother you... just a few reasons for you. Have been wearing mine daily for almost 10 years now and no one will be able to convince me that there is something better out there.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

The challenge for me with concealment has to be the lengnth of the grip--for that reason the subcompact G26 size works best.

And, don't extend the grip with an "add-on", for that defeats the purpose! Simply learn to shoot the subcompact, you can do quite well in spite of your pinky flying in the wind. I shot my 26 in IDPA for just that reason, not to be the best gamer, but to learn to shoot my carry piece well.

By the way, had I discovered XDs before I got into Glocks, I'd be carrying the XDsc in 9...take a loooong look and handle the XD before you buy a Glock!

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it outĒ Ė Clint Smith

buy the xd. i have an xd9sc. great gun. great for cc. great at range.

G26 in a MTAC holster has been the perfect CCW after a long, hard search.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

I can conceal my G19 with no problems. I'm 5'10" and currently 170#. The 26 will be easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry but the 19 is by no means uncomfortable.

I use an MTAC IWB and a Fist #10 OWB for the 19. I use a Milt Sparks VM II IWB and the Fist #10 OWB for my G27 (same size as G26).
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I find the G19 MORE comfortable to carry than my daughter's G26. It's not too big to carry IWB, but since it's larger, it tends to lay down against my side better. With a good holster and belt, you'll have no problems. Then you add the other benefits of additional ammo capacity, better accuracy with a longer sight plane, and much better ammo performance because of the higher velocity, and I think the G19 is a much better choice between the two. I carry a G32 in .357, which is exactly the same size as the G19.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

The Glock 26 and 19 are excellent weapons... they are both very accurate... the Glock 26 is just a little more concealable and lighter to carry, but with that you loose a little more carry capacity.

I highly recommend shooting any weapons you are considering before you purchase them... I did just before I purchased my Glock 26, I shoot the XDsc, the M&P, and the Glock... needless to say I purchased the Glock 26.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Well, you already had the 19. It's one of the finest fighting pistols ever designed. The 26 is smaller, lighter, comfortable to carry but lasks in the grip (ergonomics) and capacity. Other than that, the 26 is a great weapon. I have and have carried both. If I were getting only one, it would be the 19. But that'd be my choice. Yours may well be different.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had an XD service, and while it was an excellent gun, it was a horse and a half to try to conceal. The 26 fills that roll quite nicely.

The 26 is a nice little gun, but honestly, I've got both and the 26 doesn't do anything I want that I can't do with my 19/23. The 19/23 carries and conceals wonderfully, has better capacity, hiher velocity, longer sighting radius, arguably less perceived recoil.... I always choose my 19 or 23 over my 26. My wife does like to carry the 26, however, because she's a pretty petite thing and the size difference does make a little bit of difference on her.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links