Older S&W Airweight?

Older S&W Airweight?

This is a discussion on Older S&W Airweight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard that some the older J-frame airweight gun had a nasty habit of cracking just under the barrel with regular shooting,is this true? Do ...

Thread: Older S&W Airweight?

Older S&W Airweight?

I've heard that some the older J-frame airweight gun had a nasty habit of cracking just under the barrel with regular shooting,is this true? Do the older J-frames have a tendency to do this even with standard pressure ammo?

I could see this happening if +p ammo was used in an older Alloy framed gun not rated for said ammo,but is this possible when standard pressure .38 special ammo is used? I ask as I have an older model 42 from around 1968 I believe and have only shot standard pressure ammo in it,so should I be concerned about this issue? Has anyone here ever seen this happen to an older alloy framed j-frame gun when only normal pressure ammo was used?

P.S. Merry Christmas everyone

The real problem on those earlier airweights was faulty torque operation when installing the barrel. Some (many?) of the airweight frames that had the faulty torque-ing had frames show up cracked NIB. +P ammo in those faulty guns can definitely cause the frame to crack:

Don't shoot +Ps in Airweight J frames! - TheFiringLine Forums

but even non +P ammo will produce a crack on the over torqued guns. Earlier this month at a gun show, me an a friend were considering a 638 no dash (1989), pristine w/ original box but my friend's eagle eye spotted a small hairline crack in the frame. It was very hard to see but it was a hairline crack.

If you're gonna buy an older Smith Airweight, definitely check the frame, even on new looking guns. The newer ones, if they are rated +P, are fine.

When you say earlier airweights what vintage is this referring to? Does it refer to the original airweight guns from the 50's,is the barrel torque issue limited to the a certain vintage of these guns i.e. like guns made from 1955 to 1965 for example?

Sponsored Links