J-frame, Glock, or other? - Page 2

J-frame, Glock, or other?

This is a discussion on J-frame, Glock, or other? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got an XD Subcompact I carry regularly. I've also got a 642 I carry quite often. I don't carry +P's. I carry 110 grain ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    I've got an XD Subcompact I carry regularly. I've also got a 642 I carry quite often. I don't carry +P's. I carry 110 grain Silvertips.
    It's great to have a small light weight gun to carry when you can't carry anything else. I've also got a Ruger SP101 which is my favorite small revolver. But the 642 is easier to carry at times. An XD and a642 is a nice combo.

For J-frame 357s, A Model 60 would be a great choice or Taurus 605. I have shot both and I like both. Heavier yes but one you can actually shoot 357 without breaking your wrist and would be willing to carry.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

J-Frame!!!!!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I would get the 19. Easy to conceal, shoots well, and 15 + 1 capacity. You can always get a j frame down the road.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

My buddy and I went looking yesterday at the shops, and I ran into someone selling a G26 for a good price (store wouldn't take his number) I told him 400 and I would pay cash and he took the deal..... So now I own a G26 with 3 mags and tomorrow once I go hunting again hopefully will have a J frame.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

If you want a carry gun, the Kahr P9 is hard to beat for weight, shootability, useable sights, comfort in carrying, and cost of ammo. For fun shooting, a Beretta 92FS is one of the sweetest shooting pistols I've seen, and has a reasonable price tag. The Ruger SP101 in 357 is also good for shooting, and, it takes a lot longer to shoot up 100 rounds than the Beretta with a 15 round mag.
    Have fun.

642 w CT or g19....you wont be sorry with either.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Mad Dog...can you be more specific what you want to do with the "next" gun? Do you want a fun and comfortable shooter for the range, or do you want another but different carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Mad Dog...can you be more specific what you want to do with the "next" gun? Do you want a fun and comfortable shooter for the range, or do you want another but different carry gun?
    Well I want a wheel gun or another smaller caliber for the range for cheap shooting....

While I was out looking for a J frame I found a guy selling a G26 for a good price so I bought it. So now i am officially in the market for a J frame or a L frame for range fun
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

In terms of finding a JFrame for range fun, you really shouldn't waste the money on .357.

I just went through this and went with a 640 (.357 JFrame) over a 642 as I wanted to have the ability to shoot .357 rounds as well as .38 rounds.

Long story short, I traded that 640 this weekend as the .357rds are really violent out of the lightweight JFrames. It wouldn't be bad for defense use, but it was no fun at the range.

The .357 JFrames are heavier than the .38 JFrames and because only the .38s are enjoyable to shoot out of either, you might as well go for the lighter JFrame (642,342).
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Gotta break with the crowd here. I have a BLAST (pun intended!) firing my 340 J frame on the range with .357 158 Gr Federal, .38 Sp. AND 38 super! I have put over 200 rds .357 through it in an hour and a half of range time and it felt fine. That changed a little when I put my duty ammo in - 125 gr GDHP. That stuff hurts! but generally speaking, if you have good padded grips its fine with most full house rounds.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Choices???

Have to agree with FrankMako..those J-frames are "carry alot/shoot a little"types guns that is why they make GREAT Back-Up Guns(BUGS)and no so great primaries. In a PERFECT WORLD you'd pick a solid primary like the Glock 19 you mentioned and something like a S&W 442 or 642 J-frame Airweight as the BUG. I would say if you go with a snubbie as your purchase now get a STEEL frame Smith(easier to shoot, therefore practice more)or a beefier 5 shot like a Ruger SP101 in 357. Something to consider. Good Luck with whatever you choose!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I would agree with usmc3169, I enjoy shooting my Airweight 38 Special at the range. Not only does it make a great BUG or primary when discression and weight are #1 factors BUT IT IS BECAUSE OF THE SIZE AND WEIGHT that I enjoy shooting the little bugger so much!

I have large hands and griping the little thing is a challenge to do properly! I can hit a 1" pattern all day with my full framed gus, throwing a good pattern with the J Frame is a challenge and I will say that I enjoy and am up to the challenge!

I'll admit that I bought the little guy for my wife to use and shoot...well she has yet to shoot it and I love the thing!

A great equation for bloody palms is this- Take 1 JFrame in .357, add a couple hudrend rounds and an hour at the range and guess what you get! Seen it done twice (both LEOs and manly men), 'course they were both smiling (a bit of a wince, but a smile none the less).
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links