J-frame, Glock, or other?

This is a discussion on J-frame, Glock, or other? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a decision to make. For christmas I received a gift card and spending cash and can afford a reasonable priced handgun.... I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-frame, Glock, or other?

J-frame, Glock, or other?

I have a decision to make. For christmas I received a gift card and spending cash and can afford a reasonable priced handgun....

I have been looking at J frames, however not sure witch model I want, anyone have a suggestion on models? I would lean towards a 357 because then I could feed it 38+p as well. If I get a glock it's going to be the G19 or G17

I carry a XDcompact and also have a kimber 1911 my goal is to get something cheaper to shoot at the range (glock) or add a wheel gun as I don't have one...... I only want to blow 500-600 bucks

So which models or firearms should I look at?
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

2. Remove Ads

I would seriously consider an M&P 9 if you want something to shoot at the range that can also double as a good defense weapon. I have a few M&Ps as well as a Jframe. The .38 Special is "fun", but only for about 30-50 rnds. The 9 in +P has comparable balistics to the .38 and the .357 is better balistics but the short barrel mixed with the hot .357 load makes for a slow 2nd shot as far as target reaquisition goes.

I have 5,000+ rounds through my M&Ps with 0 complaints (I switched from a Glock 36 to a M&P 45c as my primary carry.)
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Distinguished Member
    I have a J frame M&P 340, 357 and a 642, 38+P, the 340 is smoother has a better sight, but it is out of that price range. So my choice would be a 642 and try to find one of the new releases without the lock. If you want to shoot it a lot and not pocket carry, a all steal 60 or Ruger SP101.

You will not go wrong with either of Glocks either, but if you already have a XD Compact I would get the G17 unless you want to carry it.

I know you prefer .357, but for my money you'd do best with a S&W 642...you could even go the CT grip model with your budget.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I have a decision to make. For christmas I received a gift card and spending cash and can afford a reasonable priced handgun....

I have been looking at J frames, however not sure witch model I want, anyone have a suggestion on models? I would lean towards a 357 because then I could feed it 38+p as well. If I get a glock it's going to be the G19 or G17

I carry a XDcompact and also have a kimber 1911 my goal is to get something cheaper to shoot at the range (glock) or add a wheel gun as I don't have one...... I only want to blow 500-600 bucks

So which models or firearms should I look at?
    Have you considered the Taurus 605 in .357? I would at least hold one and kick the tires a bit before buying any other wheel gun. It could be just what you want and about $150 less than a S&W.

Taurus haters: You may now begin to flame away...
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

well, i got both so here is my take on the matter. either one will work well. i got an old model 60 in 38sp. i was glade to see that s&w changed them over to 357 mag. when i got my m60 in the late 80's the 38sp was all you could get. now i like the j-frame. a easy gun to carry and will do the job. i also use a clip draw belt clip. now for the glock, i got several in 45, 40, and 9mm. for carry i would look at the g26, g27, and/or g36. all thre are the same size just different cals.

now if you are looking for a range gun only, not for carry. the j-frame is not a fun/great range gun. it is ok for 10 to 25 rounds down range with duty ammo. but it is not for a all day shoot. yes , know this statement will make some mad. i sometimes will shoot 50 rounds at each time of 148 gr wad cutter when i go to the range in my model 60. i would look at other wheel guns with a 4 inch barrel. something like a s&w model 19/66 etc.... for fun range guns. better site picture.

now for the glock. the g19/17 are fun range guns. you can shoot many rounds down range. but i also shoot many rounds down range with my g27/26/36. don't know why i favor the small auto over the wheel gun when i go to the range.

but there are many other good brands out there that will make a great range gun. for cheap shooting i would look at a 22lr pistol and/or rifle. you can get a lots of 22lr ammo for a "song and dance".
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

+1 on the 642. I have one and have over 800 rounds of 135gr +P GoldDots through it and it's still going strong. The sights are not so great if you have any vision problems (I am far-sighted) but it's a close range gun. I have no problem keeping 3-4" groups at 15 yards which is plenty for self-defense. Personally I would stay away from .357 loads in J-frame handguns. The recoil is considerably heavier than the .38's and MUCH louder on the ears, especially if you have to fire indoors. If you do decide to go with the .357 capable models take a look at the M&P 340. I've seen them at gunshows for a little over 600.00. Very nice little gun with much improved sights over the 642. Still, you can't go wrong with the 642. Very popular model, easy to conceal, and a handful of firepower.

If you go Glock the G19 is an excellent choice for concealment and reliability, and you can carry 16 rounds. I've carried the G23 in .40 for over a year now and after approx. 2500 rounds it's never let me down.

Good Luck!

I guess I'm old school, I carry either a older mdl 36 Smith or a Colt Agent with at least 2 reloads. I never could shoot a Glock and feel comfortable.

Go with a J frame that will handle 38+p. Best of both worlds.

If you are looking to compliment your xd for CARRY there is no choice. J-FRAME WITH CRIMSON TRACE. If you want to have fun at the range get a 9mm. I do shoot my J-frame every week to stay in tune, most people don't shoot them much. The J-frame will go anywhere. You won't believe how easy it is to carry with the right pants.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    If you decide on the Glock, I'd go for the 19 over the 17. I have both, the 19 is just as fun to shoot, and way easier to carry.

J Frames I can't help you with, I still need to get one (or two) myself.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Go with a J frame that will handle 38+p. Best of both worlds.
    Almost a must have for a cc inventory!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

J frame

You already have good semi-autos. Go for the J frame. I just got a nickle plated M40, rated for +P. I have no real need for a light .357 snub to shoot mostly .38 practice ammo and occasional +p for CCW and training.

A 442 loaded with Buffalo Bore
    Standard Pressure 158's is a
    hard combination to beat.

Glock 19 is one of the best guns I've ever owned.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links