Going from a 3 inch to a 5 inch

This is a discussion on Going from a 3 inch to a 5 inch within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally carry an XD 40 Sub Compact. I got an XD 40 Tactical ( 5 inch )a couple months ago and ordered a Fist ...

Thread: Going from a 3 inch to a 5 inch

VIP Member

Going from a 3 inch to a 5 inch

I normally carry an XD 40 Sub Compact. I got an XD 40 Tactical ( 5 inch )a couple months ago and ordered a Fist #14 holster for it. I got the holster a couple days ago but had to do the plastic bag trick to stretch it out a bit. I tried it on today and began my drawing practice. After about the 6th or 8th draw, my gun didn't clear the holster all the way and the gun went flying to the floor. Scared me to death. Not that I thought the gun would go off, but just thinking of that happening if I ever had to draw on someone.
    I'm sure it has a lot to do with how long a persons arms are, weight etc on how easy it is to clear the holster. I have long arms and can really do it with little problem. How many people carry a 5 inch gun and if you do, do you have these problems? I really want to carry this gun. I can hit so good with it and its a real pleasure to shoot. I'm going to practice more drawing.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I carry a 5" 1911 and don't have a problem, but my wife can't do it as her hand ends up in her armpit before the muzzle clears the holster.

Just work on your draw and make sure your hand is coming up as high as it can, then rotate the gun out.

Keep practicing.

I carry a fullsize 1911 24/7. You can certainly get used to it, just practice
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Practice, practice...and yes, I have carried large guns most of my life. Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    You're used to drawing a 3 inch weapon and now are drawing a similar 5 inch weapon. Muscle memory had your mind thinking you'd cleared leather maybe?

Just practice with it a bunch and you'll be fine (best to practice the draw unloaded for a bit maybe?). I carry a 5 inch 1911 with no worries.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Just practice with it a bunch and you'll be fine (best to practice the draw unloaded for a bit maybe?). I carry a 5 inch 1911 with no worries.
    And over a soft surface

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    And over a soft surface
    It was over carpet. The gun actually hit the bed first. I'll keep practicing..

Links