Looking for reliable 45 caliber-compact handgun

This is a discussion on Looking for reliable 45 caliber-compact handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shooters: I am looking for a 45 caliber compact handgun that is very reliable. I need this handgun for home defense. I am looking for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for reliable 45 caliber-compact handgun

Shooters:
    I am looking for a 45 caliber compact handgun that is very reliable. I need this handgun for home defense. I am looking for a handgun that if you don't have time to lock your arms will not mal-function & jam. I could go revolver but I like the speed of the semi-auto. I'm hoping to find a compact handgun with a barrell no longer then 4 inches. thank-you for your thoughts.

Hi Cat-O-Matic,

Belated Merry Christmas to you! (yes, I said it).

Ten different people are going to give you ten different answers but my vote is for the H&K USP Compact. I own this weapon in both .40 and .45 and find them to be my most reliable pieces in the gun safe.

My weapons are in Condition One so the sloppy trigger doesn't bother me at all. Even with the sloppy trigger but I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

The last gun I bought almost was an XD .45 Service (with thumb safety) but I talked myself out of it and bought another Kimber.

Buy what feels good in YOUR HANDS and trust your own instincts and not the "Ford vs. Chevy" banter you are going to get here.

Be Safe!
    NosaM

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'll throw my .02 in here. I carry a Glock 36 daily. It's very compact and chambers a .45 round. It holds 6+1 and has never jammed, misfired or broke. It's an excellent gun. Here is a link to some info.

GLOCK 36

As a S&W guy I have to recommend the M&P 45c don't have one yet, heard lots of good reports. Worth a look-see.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Shooters:
    I am looking for a 45 caliber compact handgun that is very reliable. I need this handgun for home defense. I am looking for a handgun that if you don't have time to lock your arms will not mal-function & jam. I could go revolver but I like the speed of the semi-auto. I'm hoping to find a compact handgun with a barrell no longer then 4 inches. thank-you for your thoughts.
    If you like revolver, speed and .45 ACP you don't necessarily have to choose between them. Consider the S&W 625 revolver in .45 ACP. They come in 4" and even 3" barrel models. As you well know, revolvers are about the most reliable, non-jamming weapon out there.

I have a 625 JM and it's a fine gun. Guy by the name of Miculek shoots it fairly rapidly...

The gun that stays on the headboard of my bed is a Glock 21. I put a Insight Technology M6 light/laser on it so by just grabbing my pistol I have a light ready to go and don't have to fumble looking for a flashlight some other place. Glocks are as reliable as they come and a capacity of 13+1 should take care of just about any bump in the night. That would be my suggestion.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Kahr PM45. If you don't want a budget buster I would recommend a Cobra Patriot as well. The trigger on the Cobra is pretty long and stiff, and it sounds like you want something fast, so the Cobra may not be the best best. There are many subcompact 1911's on the market as well that offer them in 3 inch barrels.

If you are willing to go with a revolver a Charter .44 Special offers near .45 balistics, is light, and inexpensive.

Guess a glock works too.

Bought a XD-45c a few months ago and I highly recommend it! Over 600 rounds through it and never one problem. Holds 10 + 1 or 13 +1 depending what mag you use (comes with both). Certainly worth your time to look at one.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Springfield XD45 compact hands down, I carry one everyday.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

I also would give the XD 45 compact a look. I have carried it for the past year and it's great. No problems, and you can change the mags to make it a compact or the service model.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I've been carrying a Kimber Tactical Ultra II (.45) for 3 yrs now without any issues, its been 100% out of the box reliable for me. Its a great CC gun, great weight, size, accurate and reliable. I do have my eye on a Glock 30 as the next one to add to the collection, just cause I think you can't have to much of a good thing. Lots of good choices out there, take your time and try to fondle as many as possible to see which fits you. Good luck.

For the money, I don't think you can beat the XD lineup. I had a XD 40 SC that I gave to my daughter and currently have a XDM 40. My shooting buddy has had 4 of them in various configurations and all have been absolutely reliable and extremely accurate.

If money were no object, I'd pick a Sig 220 Carry.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My carry gun is a Springfield XD .45 compact. Several hundred rounds at the range...no problems. Just point and pull the trigger reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Shooters:
    There are many fine .45 autos and revolvers out there. I have a Springfield XD Service that has been 100% reliable and would make an excellent home defense weapon. I also own and frequently carry a Kahr PM45 that has also been 100% reliable. I've owned several variants of the 1911 .45 that have been proven very reliable. That being said, any firearm can malfunction at anytime. Some will malfunction because of parts failure, ammo, or user error. Practicing malfunction drills is important with any weapon used for personal defense.
    Here's a picture of my Kahr PM45.
    Randy
    Randy

One of my recommendations is the Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP. 4" barrel stainless steel. It is what I currently own, carry and is at home for defense of self and family.
    You will get may answerers, most will tell you what is good because they choose and use that brand and model.
    Why I choose the Taurus 24/7 Pro? It has one of the fastest cycle rates on any auto loading pistol, and recently a guy shot a 4 target (9") steel plates at 30 feet at 0.97 seconds, and set a new world record with this pistol. It has a loaded chamber indicator that you can visually see, or feel that it has one in the chamber, even in the dead of night. It has a 4" barrel. It is easy to disassemble and clean. It has an external safety that can be used or not used, as there is also a trigger bar safety that won't allow the firing pin to move forward and strike the primer unless the trigger is pulled to the rear. This block makes it safer if it is accidental dropped or jarred. It has adjustable and replaceable sights on the front and rear. It has a rail system under the barrel if you want to put accessories on there, like a laser or light. It has "memory" index points on either side of the frame that let's you put your finger in the spot for safe habit of removing from holster and before shooting.

It comes with a lifetime warranty on the pistol and ALL of the parts for the lifetime of the pistol, not the original owner.

It has double strike capability. Without so much as needing to reach over and pull the slide back again to reset the striker, a pull with the trigger in Double Action mode will cock the striker and release the firing pin. If there is a dud bullet, it is easy enough to just eject the unfired round and continue on.

The pistol is well machined and well designed, and has shot many hundreds of my rounds, and others that I have talked to have put many thousands of rounds through theirs without any issues. It is heavy enough to lessen felt recoil, as it is taken up with the rebound springs, but light and small enough to carry concealed.

I was a pistol smith in Seattle Washington many years ago, and having seen and shot all kinds of makes and models of pistols, this one is a real delight. It does what a pistol should do, safely and very accurately

The others listed are very excellent choices, that is true. Springfield, Kahr Arms, Ruger, Glock,Beretta, Sig, CZ, Walther, etc all have some excellent pistols, with different attributes, and capacities. Most, with exceptions, work very similar. Taurus fits in there as one that has good ergonomics, design and price.

Remember the FBI deadly encounter rule of 3s ... Most encounters of handguns use 3 rounds at 3 feet and over in 3 seconds. Some more, some less, but the average is 3. With any pistol that has a capacity of 12, like the 24/7 Pro Taurus, you have plenty left, about 4 times more than needed for most encounters "IF" you should ever have the misfortune to have to use it.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links