Multiple Carry Pieces

This is a discussion on Multiple Carry Pieces within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So - quick question: My former EDC was a SA XD45 - the "Service" model, ie: full size grip. I love having the idea of ...

Thread: Multiple Carry Pieces

Multiple Carry Pieces

So - quick question:

My former EDC was a SA XD45 - the "Service" model, ie: full size grip. I love having the idea of .45ACP as a CC but the handle printed significantly whenever I'd bend over or reach for something. About 6 months ago, I picked up the SA XD9 SC and it has become my year-round carry piece. Only people who know I carry notice it and only if they look for it. At least as far as I know.

So my question - Does anyone carry a service XD for CC? I really miss having the .45 on my hip. What's your rig? I use a crossbreed supertuck but with full size grips, I print.

I'm about 5'9"-5'10" and about 205-210 (depending on lunch), solidly built (no gut-yet. Just turned 30 so maybe soon!).

Andy

2. Remove Ads

Just go with looser clothing on the top layer.

I sometimes carry my XD9 Service. I use a CTAC holster for this gun. It's a comfortable carry and well concealed IWB in the CTAC.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Yes--I carry a SA XD .40c

Hi Andy!

I carry a SA XD .40c in a OWB Galco holster as my EDC. I live in Phoenix (translation: warm weather almost year-round) and primarily wear silk button-down shirts over a t-shirt. I wear everywhere and speak to large groups a lot. (I am a pastor and part-time professor) I have been made only once, and that was because I chose a t-shirt that I knew better than to wear while CCing. I knew better, so my fault there.

So you can carry the compact; it's all about where. I tend to carry at 9-10 O'clock (I shoot lefty) and have very little difficulty concealing; I am 5'10" 205. No pics yet (soon I promise :)). I must admit that I am trying to talk my wife into letting me buy a SA XD .40sc for even better concealment, but she wants a Bersa Thunder .380 for herself first. Hard to argue with that logic!

Hope it helps a little.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I carry my service XD-9 everyday. I'm 5'10" 365 and use an Uncle Mikes IWB holster. Works quite well.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

JD
    Administrator
    Why not just get the XD45 Compact? Same barrel length of the Service, but the smaller grip of the compact.

My friend Chooie carries the Service in .40 with a UBG Canute, I will be carrying my XDM-9 in a HBE Com III when it arrives...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Why not just get the XD45 Compact? Same barrel length of the Service, but the smaller grip of the compact.

My friend Chooie carries the Service in .40 with a UBG Canute, I will be carrying my XDM-9 in a HBE Com III when it arrives...
    I would look into the XD 45 compact.

If you like a service gun at the range you can just use the larger magazine and then you get the full grip, put in the 10 round magazine and you have a compact for your carry.

Also if you get the compact your old holsters will still work with your gun.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

When you choose to carry you have to change your clothing style and sizing ideas. That's just part of sticking something in your waistband. Personally I carry a full size XD in a galco IWB summer special and do just fine, same with my USPC and my 1911. Might want to try moving it somewhere else along your belt line as well.

xd 45 service model in a smart carry. I wear black jeans and they are 1 size larger then needed, for comfort.

Not an XD but I carry FS M&P9 or 40 year around in IWB and never print. In summer I wear shorts and tee shirt.

I'm 5'7" @ 154 30 inch waist. Wear bigger tee shirts in summer.

As stated above you need to dress correctly if you carry.
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    Does anyone carry a service XD for CC?
    I carry an XD-45 compact, sometimes with the short mag and sometimes with the large mag, which makes the compact the same size as your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    What's your rig?
    When I wear a Bluegrass Mason-Dixon with extreme forward cant, worn in the appendix area, I can conceal the full mag.

Other times I carry in a large-holster SmartCarry, full mag or short mag, depending on clothing.

Links